Expat Investment Advisors

14 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I used two different English/expat pension advisors .... both chose investments based on their commission and both lost me money, as well some investments still frozen due to scheme suspension.

Now only invest in property in home country as it's so hard to find a trustworthy advisor.

In years past while working O&G sector I was in contact with a somewhat shady " UK conultant" based in Bkk. He wanted a 2% fee to manage my investments. I found out later the co. he was representing was bogus and the BIB were tracking them down all the way to Singapore. I dodged that bullet. 

One of the products was a high interest bond from Australia that got exposed as well.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I wouldn't hire a foreigner in Thailand for anything.

I was told once that if I was going to get cheated/screwed, et al in Pattaya the chances are better that it would be a "farang" rather than a local.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, swissie said:

The term "investement advisor" is still a unclassified profession. Everybody including his uncle can call himself an "investement advisor".

Not in the UK they can't. And not for the past +40 years.

You need to have FCA controlled function 30 authorisation.

Even has a wiki page...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCA_Controlled_Functions

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

The mutual funds I buy in Canada and the US are highly regulated. And all of them pay management 0.5% or less. The largest fund I own charges 0.05% yearly fees. Averaging over 10% return for over 40 years, not including dividends. I can live with that.

I can't see why anyone would use one of those investment advisors. Rip off c*nts.

Depends how you define regulated.

It's the only profession in the world where they are not obligated to provide anything and still get paid. If your fund gets 0 per cent one year, they still get paid.

And you are claiming that you made 10 per cent during Covid when most businesses were shut down? So you made the same during Covid as you did in all other normal years?

I don't believe people who claim they make 10 per cent per year year after year in mutual funds without nary a glitch. 

It's the fund managers getting rich, not the investors. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Depends how you define regulated.

It's the only profession in the world where they are not obligated to provide anything and still get paid. If your fund gets 0 per cent one year, they still get paid.

And you are claiming that you made 10 per cent during Covid when most businesses were shut down? So you made the same during Covid as you did in all other normal years?

I don't believe people who claim they make 10 per cent per year year after year in mutual funds without nary a glitch. 

When you have no knowledge but go for it anyway 555

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Fund managers come and go but its time that makes investors rich.

I've seen 800% gain in 30 years from a clients mutual fund.

I'll still be under 80 in 30 years 😉

Edited by noobexpat

45 minutes ago, gargamon said:

My post said I averaged over 10% a year for over 40 years.

10% is the magic number that keeps coming up over and over and over.

Everyone who tries to convince others to invest in mutual funds always uses 10% as a selling point every single time.

So does that mean that most mutual fund managers are actually averaging 10%?

Or does it mean that all investors have been brainwashed with the same sales pitch?

I've looked at some portfolios where the numbers were 30% one year and 0% the next.

How can the same fund manager who got 30% one year be so incompetent and get 0% the next year?

You might argue the markets had a bad year. And I will argue that if someone is proficient in investing and able to get 30% one year, then they should be smart enough to avoid the markets altogether during a downturn instead of giving you 0% for the year.

It makes no sense. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

This has been common place here for at least 20 years, particularly Brit so called independent IFA's who claim to sell regulated products. The products may be regulated but him advising and selling outside of the UK!

Even the rep from a big insurer here sounded like a minor character in a gangster film.

Heavy cockney accent ”chasing up” documents. Very untrustwothy fired them!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

45 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

10% is the magic number that keeps coming up over and over and over.

Everyone who tries to convince others to invest in mutual funds always uses 10% as a selling point every single time.

So does that mean that most mutual fund managers are actually averaging 10%?

Or does it mean that all investors have been brainwashed with the same sales pitch?

I've looked at some portfolios where the numbers were 30% one year and 0% the next.

How can the same fund manager who got 30% one year be so incompetent and get 0% the next year?

You might argue the markets had a bad year. And I will argue that if someone is proficient in investing and able to get 30% one year, then they should be smart enough to avoid the markets altogether during a downturn instead of giving you 0% for the year.

It makes no sense. 

What a load of nonsense you spout. The smart people who own mutual funds are buy and hold. The people that treat them as investments that are bought and sold often are just the fools the investment advisors are looking for.

Here's a fund I've been in for a long time. The expense ratio is 0.04%.

Screenshot_20240428_121511_Iron.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Even the rep from a big insurer here sounded like a minor character in a gangster film.

Heavy cockney accent ”chasing up” documents. Very untrustwothy fired them!

Wasn't the guy I complained about in this thread then ???

Seem to be the same character who's called a lot of people... 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gargamon said:

What a load of nonsense you spout. The smart people who own mutual funds are buy and hold. The people that treat them as investments that are bought and sold often are just the fools the investment advisors are looking for.

Here's a fund I've been in for a long time. The expense ratio is 0.04%.

Screenshot_20240428_121511_Iron.jpg

I have been in VTI for a long time. Maybe I should shift into VFIAX?

Screenshot 2024-04-28 12.16.26.png

13 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I have been in VTI for a long time. Maybe I should shift into VFIAX?

Screenshot 2024-04-28 12.16.26.png

Performance looks similar. I wouldn't be concerned with the “since inception“ low number as it looks like it was started at the top of the dot-com bubble. Also be aware that, if the instrument is not in a retirement fund, switching would be a taxable event. The only taxes I have paid in the 40+ years in vfiax is on the dividends. As it's mostly all profit at this point, it will be taxed when I sell. That's something most don't consider when trading/investing. All the money they've paid in taxes, in my case, has continued to benefit me, not the government.

Edited by gargamon

26 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Performance looks similar. I wouldn't be concerned with the “since inception“ low number as it looks like it was started at the top of the dot-com bubble. Also be aware that, if the instrument is not in a retirement fund, switching would be a taxable event. The only taxes I have paid in the 40+ years in vfiax is on the dividends. As it's mostly all profit at this point, it will be taxed when I sell. That's something most don't consider when trading/investing. All the money they've paid in taxes, in my case, has continued to benefit me, not the government.

Only pay taxes when I start taking distributions 

Dividends are reinvested

It is a holding in a 401k account what is basically on autopilot.

I am a buy and hold never pay much attention to it.

I could rebalance my holdings and future contributions as sometimes worry I could be doing better

but that is where problems start for most people There is alot of research to show that passive investors do better over long time periods compared to actively managed portfolios and risky trade behavior

• Like 1

I am so jealous of you USA, UK, Australia expats

get 5% from the bank

TH and home country MAX 2.3% gross

I would be so happy with 5%

guess impossible to register just an address for that purpose...

lol