Disgruntled Farang Going Home

cojones

I will agree with Boo and Darknight, it is all down to personal circumstance, if you are running short of money in Thailand, it is certainly no place to be.  :o

Any place is no place to be in you run short of money. Personally I'd rather run short of money in sunny Thailand than in miserable Europe, at least the north of it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any place is no place to be in you run short of money. Personally I'd rather run short of money in sunny Thailand than in miserable Europe, at least the north of it.

Meom, obviously you have never been skint in Thailand.

No government handouts here to pay the rent and bills and buy food and free bus pass and free education and free medical and a pension at the end of it.

If you have no money, Europe is the place to be, especially countries like UK, I have not noticed thousands of Albanian refugees flooding into Thailand for the sunshine. :o:D

I am actually think of leaving too. Due to Thai culture, This country is very zenaphobic. The Thai culture needs to be reformed and they need to stop brain washing the school children with the Thai culture. There are good parts, but there are also alot of bad parts of Thai culture. They(Thais) want equality, but they don't want to recepitacate. I know in the West the cost of living is ten times higher than Thailand and the life in the west more fast pace then Thailand. The weather is also better in Thailand. All you foreigners who are critizing this article are running away from the hign cost of living and the cold weather in the west, but don't think Thailand will make all you wishes come true. He does not have to go back home, He can try Cambodia. Doctor John the Thailand can't afford to give hand outs to its citizens' like the UK because they spend there money on other "non-sense" things.

I've been back to the UK 4 times in 6.5 years here. Always a good place to visit, see family and friends.

But the country disappoints me now. I had had enough of the rat race before. Everyone walks around moaning and bitching about this and that. I can't see any point in being dragged down to some peoples' level of thinking.

Thailand may not be 100% what I want, but it's still the best country for me at the moment.

PS. my last post on this subject, some 3 pages before, referred to farangs generally complaining about Thai driving/parking skills, the Thai attitude to forigners etc etc. The usual moans and groan from Westerners who've had enough. It was not a post about the ability to express oneself, which we're pretty lucky to be able to do on this forum site and others.

What other culture would you suggest Thai people follow, Ancient Egyptian ?

Unbelievable..............

No! But they could try and not be so inward looking. You always get left behind if you do that. You only have the look at the Ottoman Empire and the effect of the Janassaries to see that.

Meom......that may be true but it would be better to run out of money in your home country than in someone else!!! Who would help you then? If a Yank was in US when he ran out of money he can go on welfare and etc............you cant do that in Thailand!

There are always positive and negative aspects in every country in the world, there is no "fantasy" country.......although some tend to view Thailand as their "fantasy realized". :o

Meom......that may be true but it would be better to run out of money in your home country than in someone else!!! Who would help you then? If a Yank was in US when he ran out of money he can go on welfare and etc............you cant do that in Thailand!

There are always positive and negative aspects in every country in the world, there is no "fantasy" country.......although some tend to view Thailand as their "fantasy realized". :o

Maybe you're right I don't know. Haven't been in my home country for ten years now so I'm not sure if I would get any handouts in case I ever return with nothing.

I will agree with Boo and Darknight, it is all down to personal circumstance, if you are running short of money in Thailand, it is certainly no place to be.   :D

Indeed Dr john , As i'm an IT consultant delivering on the spot services (knowledge) Thailand isn't that rosy since you can't or almost can't find a job there. Like i said many times before lot's of blabla but no results. Even if you can find one it's probably a lot underpaid.

You indeed have to way the pro's and con's in all situations, while it may be ok for some to live on a poor teachers salary or scraping from one day to the other like scamp, I'm not willing to give up that much just for some nice weather and cheap food cost.

You also have to think about pension, healthcare, unenployment benefits ect.

If you only see money going out it's not that good of a situation.

I could have started a biz ect but for the legal and red tape implications i decided against it.

Was lot more easyer to restart my biz in Europe with a lot more turnover then to do that in thailand.

Sure it's a rat race here, it cost more especially since the euro, but in the end it's better to make money here and be able to come for a holiday or two a year to los, Then to stay in los and become a scampy beach bum after a year.

You lose your knowledge, your place in the workforce market, your connections (network), your social benefits and i'm not willing to trade all for a nice beach and some sun. :o

If you do become a beach bum for 5 years , you will never be able to integrate again in western society....you don't know anything anymore, your slow, inaccurate, you don't understand quality anymore :D in fact your Thai :D

I will agree with Boo and Darknight, it is all down to personal circumstance, if you are running short of money in Thailand, it is certainly no place to be.   :D

Indeed Dr john , As i'm an IT consultant delivering on the spot services (knowledge) Thailand isn't that rosy since you can't or almost can't find a job there. Like i said many times before lot's of blabla but no results. Even if you can find one it's probably a lot underpaid.

You lose your knowledge

If you do become a beach bum for 5 years , you will never be able to integrate again in western society....you don't know anything anymore, your slow, inaccurate, you don't understand quality anymore :D in fact your Thai :D

Would that be the same slow, inacurate low quality thais that are keeping you out of a job then?

truth is that you overpaid "IT Consultants" are so up your own asses that you actually belive your own hype, Anyone can do "it" thats why it's called it.

you come over here like a bunch of missionarys expecting the thais to be in awe of the smart white boss man, when they have been on the case for years, I have never seen such high quality copys of games dvd's ect, you think that happens by accident. I always hear that from you guys and you are genuinly suprised that they are not throwing offencivly inflated salerys at you, do something more constuctive in Thailand and you might get better recognition for it, do something they can't do for themselves, and if you lose your knowledge by sitting on the beach for a year you can't be very good at it anyway :o

I agree that Thais have to be less inward looking but things are changing albeit slowly. Ive noticed several times over the past few years (particularly since 1997 and then 9/11 - Afghanistan - Iraq) that Thais seem more interested in talking about foreign affairs and seem to be slowly waking up to the world around them.

Good post Toastwars!

I had wondered why I meet so many IT consultants in Thailand wondering why they couldnt get work!!

I have never seen such high quality copys of games dvd's ect, you think that happens by accident. I always hear that from you guys and you are genuinly suprised that they are not throwing offencivly inflated salerys at you, do something more constuctive in Thailand and you might get better recognition for it, do something they can't do for themselves, and if you lose your knowledge by sitting on the beach for a year you can't be very good at it anyway 

Copying a game isn't IT consultancy toast...

Thai's suck at IT consultancy , most systems are crap , unsecure and very old.

The reason they don't say that is to save face , of course. that's also the reason why they don't want foreign It'ers coming despite of presidents calling for 3000 new foreign it people.

From your post i gather that you think "IT" is plugging your pc into a socket.....

Maybe you could say what you do in Los for a living :o

A bricklayer indeed won't lose his "knowledge" in a year on the beach. So your safe for now :D

THAILAND IS A PARADISE FOR MEN BUT NOT FOR WOMEN.

Not sure about that, honeyen. My missus can't get a good inexpensive massage, manicure/pedicure etc. anywhere like she can in LOS. She's definitely looking forward to living full-time in Thailand.

What other culture would you suggest Thai people follow, Ancient Egyptian ?

Unbelievable..............

How about a non-facist less nationalistic Thai culture?

My TGF even complains that when she criticises the powerful men who rape the wealth of this country she is told she isn't a patriot and it's farangs and the IMF that are to blame.

Or have many expats 'gone native' on freedom too?

My missus can't get a good inexpensive massage, manicure/pedicure etc. anywhere like she can in LOS

Boon Mee........of course she can't. It all relates to the number of massage/salons found in Thailand which offers this. There is practically at least a few in every soi and even more mushrooming everyday!!! Stiff competition!! They would have to lower their prices in order to compete with the massage parlour/salon next door, not to mention the cost of living in Thailand is dirt cheap!! :D

Compared to Europe,US and other countries, there could be only a handful or even just ONE in each major town. If the massage parlour/salon has high demand for its services, prices tend to escalate!!! So, what do you expect??? :o

Everything is more expensive if it is not commonly found in the country.

:D  I'm with you, 'Dissolusioned'. This country has a lot to answer for.

The thing that amazes me is how so many so called ex-pats leap to the defence of it, whenever someone ventures a critisism. One would almost think they are Thai themslves.

You are right, this is the most ' bent ' country I have ever known, and the odds are stacked heavily against you. It is not the most beautiful country by far. the uk and europe leaves it standing as anyone who has driven around Thailand will tell you.

Thailands redeeming features are its cheap cost of living, its warm/hot climate and it beautiful women. Thats it. :o

What more does one need :D or back to the UK where it costs a lot of cash to be miserable

Dear disillusioned ,

Dont let the door hit you in the a## on your way out .

Sorry it cant be exactly like your home country .... T.I.T

Doesnt need to be exactly like our home country but it could still be improved a lot in the terms of level playing fields. Or are you one of these "we cant criticise because we are guests" people?

Some of these self-righteous, pretentious, "if-you-don't-like-it-leave" posts make me cringe, they really do.

What if the guy who wrote that letter wasn't stuck at a bar for the past six years? What if, by any chance, he was actually working in a Thai company, surrounded by Thais, dealing with the Thai system, and suffering the many prejudices against foreigners in the system here when dealing with Thais, both internally in his/her office and externally? Just what if?

Doctor John, you’re full of this c***. Are you in a similar position? No. You’ve already stated you’re working in Japan and only intend on living here. I really don’t think I’m dealing with the voice of experience here, although I’ll give you full marks on the condescending feelings given in your posts. How intentional is it?

Is anybody that’s replied with similar marks in a similar position? Please let me know, as I’m very curious. My initial guesstimate is NO.

There’s times I’ve gone home from this office bemused at some of the excuses I’ve seen from some Thai staff at times, only to cover up either extreme bone-idleness or lack of ability. My favourite has to be “You’re not Thai so you don’t understand” – Well, you’re 100% right there. Can you get on with your job now please?

There’s times I’ve gone home from this office bemused at some of the excuses I’ve seen from some Thai staff at times, only to cover up either extreme bone-idleness or lack of ability. My favourite has to be “You’re not Thai so you don’t understand” – Well, you’re 100% right there. Can you get on with your job now please?

I would have loved to have tried that on my yank boss. Youre not British so you dont understand!

Basically the Thais are pissing everyone off, the UK, US, UN, Malayasia, everyone except Burma who of course have been given huge loans to buy telecommunications equipement from ooo, lets think, what company would that be?

Toksin today even threatened to walk out of the ASEAN conference if they dared to bring up the recent mass murder.

Bunch of xenophobes, who when the current boom is gone, will be blaming everyone else for their problems instead of looking at themselves ( and that analogy fits at all levels in this country down to a personal one )

Dear disillusioned ,

Dont let the door hit you in the a## on your way out .

Sorry it cant be exactly like your home country .... T.I.T

Doesnt need to be exactly like our home country but it could still be improved a lot in the terms of level playing fields. Or are you one of these "we cant criticise because we are guests" people?

I agree with that . Please DO improve Thailand , Keep me informed as to how thats going

Farangs are great at IT & Thais are crap???

Guess what ?

That's pretty typical of the comments I get in cover letters accompanying resumes' from farangs applying for jobs at the company I run. We develop manufacturing software for Japanese multinationals. I couldn't possibly employ someone that displays a low opinion of the people they'd have to work for could I ?

Also - red tape does not stop you setting up a company here - like anywhere else, you get a lawyer to do it for you & it's cheap.

As for Bangkok/Thailand for me -

Great and varied food - I couldn't imagine being in a 2-fruit country like the UK again !!

Access to trained staff - good for outsourcing businesses

Much closer relationships with the people I work with - it's like having a second family if you out the effort in

Easy access to other asian countries & Thai resorts - look where you can be within 2-3 hours drive...

No problem taking the kids anywhere (try taking your kids out in the UK)

Great medical facilities

Sure there's some downside - but who wants to dwell on those ?

I too lived in Japan before Thailand. Great place but I had to get out before they worked me to death.

Thailands redeeming features are its cheap cost of living, its warm/hot climate and it beautiful women. Thats it. :o wrote Simbo.

And that is absolutely right. And that is why many, many expats are very, very happy here. They wouldn't care about anything else.

They can not have a sexlife in their own country, because they are poor and/or ugly. In Thailand they can, because their miserable dollars are here worth the double and most people are much poorer than themselves, so girls live with them for the money.

But if you engage yourself with Thailand and the Thai you can feel very sorry and I understand perfectly that you long back for a life in the twentieth century.

I understand you very well Mr. Desillusioned. Your choice might very well be the right one. Thailand isn't the only country in the world.

I am in Australia at the moment to sort a few things out/let my child meet the grandparents. We booked for two weeks but will be returning after one.

LoS can be frustrating, but there is no place in the world I would rather be.

Everyone is different, where ever you decide to settle good luck to you.

I bet it would be hard to move back to farang land full time, not sure I could do it.

Have a good holiday mate.

Chris