Lock-up Your Old Bangers!

jay-uk

CRIME TRACK

Who'd ever steal my old banger?

You'd be surprised, says Wassayos Ngamkham, as police bust a ring which did just that

If you think your car is too old to be targeted by thieves, think again.

Car thieves in Thailand are increasingly turning their attentions to older vehicles as newer models tend to come equipped with advanced security measures.

On top of this, owners of older vehicles are often more complacent about security, mistakenly believing their vehicles are of little value to criminals.

But the thieves steal old cars for their parts, which are in high demand.

Songthaew owner Yuwadee Chuapan was among the ranks of the complacent, until her 20-year-old vehicle was stolen.

It was found when a Prachuap Khiri Khan "chop shop" - a garage where stolen vehicles are taken to be disassembled - was busted by the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) on July 30.

"I can't believe they [the car thieves] stole such an old vehicle. I would never have imagined it would be stolen," said Ms Yuwadee, 48, from Ayutthaya, when police returned it to her.

Pick-up truck owner Prayut Plaisaengkaeo had his 15-year-old vehicle returned from the same source.

The theft of his truck had been a blow to his family, half of whose income comes from the vehicle, which transports commuters around Bangkok.

These two were not the only victims.

When the CSD raided the chop shop, on Phetkasem road in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Pran Buri district, they found 10 stolen vehicles, all of which were thought to be at least 15 years old.

The bust came about following the theft of a coconut vendor's pick-up truck in Bangkok.

Jirapong Tanthawirul, 34, from Nakhon Sawan, reported his 20-year-old Mitsubishi pick-up truck stolen on July 21, but local police were baffled.

His brother Sanguanpong had been driving the vehicle, which was carrying more than 1,000 coconuts. He parked on Suan Phak road in Taling Chan district when he stopped to visit a friend. When he returned, the truck had gone.

But the crime - and the theft ring - was cracked thanks to one small detail: Mr Jirapong's business card.

A copy of his card was attached to the console of his truck, and the thieves had neglected to remove it.

When a Pran Buri resident spotted the card when visiting the garage, he grew suspicious of the true nature of the business.

He took a photograph of the card with his mobile phone and sent it to Mr Jirapong's number, along with details of the garage.

Mr Jirapong then sent the picture and information to CSD detective Jom Singnoi on July 30 and police arrested the garage owner that day.

CSD investigators found hundreds of coconuts had been donated to three Buddhist temples in Pran Buri. Monks identified the donor who had been driving the truck in question.

A search of the chop shop found 10 vehicles and a number of auto parts.

Garage owner Sunthorn Lompoonsuk, 43, from Pran Buri, and his 23-year-old mechanic Chalermpol Wamakan, from Ubon Ratchathani, were arrested.

Based on the interrogation, investigators learned that the garage had bought stolen vehicles from a man known as Ngok, or Ja Chai.

Ja Chai used a tow truck to steal vehicles in Bang Kruai, Bang Yai and Bang Bua Thong districts of Nonthaburi and Taling Chan in Bangkok.

He would remove air-conditioners, audio equipment and decorative accessories for sale in Bangkok and then sell the vehicles to the Pran Buri garage at 30,000 to 40,000 baht each.

Mr Sunthorn and his employees would then dismantle the vehicles to get parts to sell in Pathumwan district in Bangkok.

The gang would cut up the licence plates and sell the scrap or drop them in a pond. Papers from the vehicles would be burnt.

"Judging from the parts found in the garage, it looks as though the garage handled at least 100 vehicles over the past three years," Pol Lt-Col Jom said.

"The theft of old vehicles is a real problem because most owners depend on them to make a living day by day," he added.

Many years ago before I came to Thailand I had a truck stolen - I was at the point of the insurance claim when the police recovered the vehicle. The new owner had bought it under questionable conditions with false paperwork but was discovered when he was unable to change a flat tire. I had fitted secure locking wheel nuts that needed a special key to unlock.

This 'solution' would not protect an old car that was bound to be taken apart anyway.