Best Service Provider For The Iphone In Th?

Naut.Sirius

Hi all,

I'm moving back to Thailand next month (going to be based in Bkk) and I have a (first gen) 16 GB iPhone that I'd like to use there.

I was wondering, what's the best telco service provider to use with the iphone in Thailand? Preferably one that I can just pay as I go instead of signing a contract.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Naut.Sirius

Guest Reimar
Hi all,

I'm moving back to Thailand next month (going to be based in Bkk) and I have a (first gen) 16 GB iPhone that I'd like to use there.

I was wondering, what's the best telco service provider to use with the iphone in Thailand? Preferably one that I can just pay as I go instead of signing a contract.

Thanks for any help!

There isn't any service provider for iPhones in Thailand, I mean for unmodded iPhones! So, you need to modify the phone and than can use I belive the most of avilable 900/1800/1900 providers like AIS or DTac.

Cheers.

Assuming that you bought the iPhone through AT&T in USA....unless you have unlocked it, it will not work with any carrier in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.

If you bought the phone somewhere else, then I have no idea whether it is SIM-locked or not.

Assuming that you bought the iPhone through AT&T in USA....unless you have unlocked it, it will not work with any carrier in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter.

If you bought the phone somewhere else, then I have no idea whether it is SIM-locked or not.

When you get here, you can bring the phone to almost any shop at the MBK shopping center (National Stadium stop on the Skytrain) in Bangkok on the floor where they sell phones. For a reasonable price they will "unlock" the phone for you by installing software they have. The phone can then be used with several carriers here in Thailand.

Most customers use AIS because they are the largest and have the best coverage (virtually 100% of the country). You will purchase an AIS SIM card for a few hundred baht (the phone shop will install it for you and do the necessary configuring so you can use the AIS Edge network here). Then you can purchase prepaid phone cards (the AIS ones are called "1-2 Call" and they are available at thousands of convenience stores across Thailand). You scratch off a number and enter it into the phone to add additional time and baht to your account.

I have had a 2G iPhone using AIS for some six months now and I'm very happy. Once the phone is unlocked, you can install many free third party applications. Some of these are very useful indeed (for example, one of them lets you make Skype calls from your iPhone).

Most customers use AIS because they are the largest and have the best coverage (virtually 100% of the country). You will purchase an AIS SIM card for a few hundred baht (the phone shop will install it for you and do the necessary configuring so you can use the AIS Edge network here). Then you can purchase prepaid phone cards (the AIS ones are called "1-2 Call" and they are available at thousands of convenience stores across Thailand). You scratch off a number and enter it into the phone to add additional time and baht to your account.

How much does it cost to use email and data/internet service on the iPhone with prepaid?

Thanks for the replies everybody! :o

I currently use my iphone as a Go-Phone, IE At&t's prepaid plan as I like to move in and out of the country and didn't want to be tied to a contract. I was planning on jailbreaking the phone myself, unless there's a specific method/OS that is needed to use it with service providers in Thailand?

It's good to hear that it works with AIS as I had a good experience with them last I lived there.