You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

More Rights For Bikers

GizmoBKK

Thailand traffic rules restricting roads for motorbikes (right lanes, fly-overs, and most of all expressways) might have been useful upon their introduction when the majority of bikes were small and slow.

Nowadays, with more modern bikes and quite a number of big bikes around, the suitability of such rules are at least questionable.

I know that the Thai government has much more important issues to deal with right now, but out of pure selfishness, I am wondering what would be the official way to initiate a change and get exceptions at least for big bikes. Does anybody know? I can assure you of my signature for a petition, so who is with me?

I am serious about this topic, so just keep unqualified comments for yourself. Thanks.

no way mate, The express ways are the best places to drive in thailand because there are no bikes. Thai bikers just turning in front of a car doing 140KPH. ouch that would be very messy, imagine the carnage.

Thailand traffic rules restricting roads for motorbikes (right lanes, fly-overs, and most of all expressways) might have been useful upon their introduction when the majority of bikes were small and slow.

mate, the majority of bikes on the roads now are still small and slow. come on, are you for real? have you ever driven a car through bangkok at rush hour and seen how the bikers ride?

if they allowed bikers on the express ways then I would sell my car and take public transport because I know within a week I would run some idiot down who just turned in front of me while riding on the wrong side of the road.

Who is with me ????????????????????? :D:o

Fully agree for bikes above 400 cc, but then consider that 90 % of those are not fully and legally licensed. I do not agree to the opinions of others here...more than once I was threatenend by careless Thai or Farang car drivers, who think they can do anything to a "small" motorbike. The only solution to me is, that the Thai police simply enforces the road laws in a much more efficient way and not only looked to draw 200 Baht out of the pockets for whatever reason.

Cheers

Moo9

The need to share personal experiences, prejudice, and polemics is well noted.

However, if you go back to the origin of this thread you will see that I didn’t ask for a collection of opinions. Rules and regulations come up due to certain reasons. Once the circumstances change, the regulations might be changed, too.

All I would like to know is the official procedure to initiate a change of traffic regulations in Thailand, and I expected to find educated and experienced people in this forum who are able and willing to share their knowledge.

There are a lot of mature Thai and Farang big bike drivers out there who should have the same rights as anybody else living (and driving) in this country (agree that expressway use e.g. > 400 cc only makes sense).

It would be a pity if what works well in so many other countries could not be implemented here. :o

Edited by GizmoBKK

There are rumors that the Thai government is going to introduce a special motorcycle drivers license for motorcycles 250cc and higher.

It is likely that with a different drivers license you get different rules and rights.. And maybe, probably likely changing lanes is included. Not sure if the expressway is in the package, probably not, but we can always hope...

And would bigger bikes travel in line with the rest of highway traffic speeds?

Would bikers wonder why they find themselves having to swerve at high spped to avoid holes or ruts in the road and no other traffic moves or 'allows them in' when trying over taking on the inside.

Would the same people that fail to replace faulty lights wonder why they are invisible and run down at night.

Bikers complain that they are not seen on normal roads in built up areas - do you consider that minibuses and large trucks will look twice for a small bike when pulling out.

No not at all, I pay my money and drive at speed, I don't want motorcycles in my way. Done and that's it!

ha ha ha.. Believe me.. you will be in my way not the other way round.

i am guessing the OP means a 250 or 400cc min limit.

Thailand traffic rules restricting roads for motorbikes (right lanes, fly-overs, and most of all expressways)

I didn't realise that I was restricted to the left lane. I have even overtaken police cars. :o

Last time I was on the bike in BKK, I had a h%ll of a job to head down to Phuket without the Expressways. In the end I just decided, "B*&(*&!R it", and went up the ramp, no problem, finally on the right road :D . Wonder what the fine is?

With a cc restriction of say 150 (have to allow those CBR 150 guys too) and the introduction of a "big cc machine licence", I am fully in favour of allowing bigger bikes onto the Expressways.

Is this a problem outside of BKK and down to Patters?

The need to share personal experiences, prejudice, and polemics is well noted.

However, if you go back to the origin of this thread you will see that I didn’t ask for a collection of opinions. Rules and regulations come up due to certain reasons. Once the circumstances change, the regulations might be changed, too.

All I would like to know is the official procedure to initiate a change of traffic regulations in Thailand, and I expected to find educated and experienced people in this forum who are able and willing to share their knowledge.

There are a lot of mature Thai and Farang big bike drivers out there who should have the same rights as anybody else living (and driving) in this country (agree that expressway use e.g. > 400 cc only makes sense).

It would be a pity if what works well in so many other countries could not be implemented here. :o

Whatever you are smoking I want some of it.

I expected to find educated and experienced people in this forum who are able and willing to share their knowledge.

Educated? Experienced people? On this forum? Yeah you must be smoking something! :o

All kidding aside, I can tell you that the situation in California is that motorcycles have rights that the general car driving public does not. This in an effort to relieve congestion on crowded Socal roads. Like motorcycles are allowed to ride in the carpool lanes with only one person; motorcycles are specifically allowed to split lanes; motorcycles don't have to do a smog check; motorcycles enjoy free parking at most places.

The situation is different from Thailand, however, is that most people have automobiles (because they are cheap) and motorcycles are fairly rare. In Thailand, most people can't afford cars, and the small displacement motorcycle/scooter is the basic means of transportation for most Thais, and since everyone uses them, the quality of rider varies considerably.

I can understand the complaints that everyone has made about having motorcycles on the expressways, because if they ride like they do on the surface streets its gonna cause alot of problems. I would favor special licensing for larger displacement bikes (above 150cc). But considering that these type of bikes cost near as much as a car, and not alot of people have them, I don't think that this small minority of people will have much sway with Thai lawmakers. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

NO WAY......Leave us alone on the Expressway....All those careless , brainless, senseless, and soon to be lifeless bikers are better of the expressway. Open the door, and it will be a bloodshed.....NO bike on expressway, period..

Totally agree, threy're a danger on the sidewalks and crossing the street, they drive like maniacs and always the car driver gets the blame when a motorcycle hits it. They drive with two three passengers at a time even small kids without helmets.

Again I say NO WAY allow motorcycles on expressways, they are already blood-y dangerous every where else.

^Kind of missing the point aren't you? Nobody is saying let ALL the bikes on the expressway, stop being so selfish.

Not missing any point

To allow 250 cc or 400 cc will only allow another major risk factor on the expressway.

Also, how are the toll gate agents going to make the difference ? What will clearly identify the allowed ones from the others ? Who will make sure that there is no hole in the net ? And anyway, 125cc or 400 cc does not change anything. The biker is the one who is dangerous by his behavior. So I confirm my point . NO WAY......Leave us alone on the Expressway....All those careless , brainless, senseless, and soon to be lifeless bikers are better off the expressway. Open the door, and it will be a bloodshed.....NO bike on expressway, period..

Is Bangkok the only place they have such silly rules enforced? Even on the 135cc Yamaha, I live in the fast lane, as the Eagles sang it. Most f the bikers on ThaiVisa are talking 120 kph and up. As has already been said, we would be passing you. My mate just bought a new CBR150 and says he is afraid to drive over 100. I often drove ut at 135.

But there are not enough of us who would be responsible riders, so never mind. You could just move out of BKK.

Is Bangkok the only place they have such silly rules enforced? Even on the 135cc Yamaha, I live in the fast lane, as the Eagles sang it. Most f the bikers on ThaiVisa are talking 120 kph and up. As has already been said, we would be passing you. My mate just bought a new CBR150 and says he is afraid to drive over 100. I often drove ut at 135.

But there are not enough of us who would be responsible riders, so never mind. You could just move out of BKK.

Hi PeaceBlondie

I would never think that you can drive a bike the way most of the people do here ! Driving fast does not mean driving recklessly or dangerously. A trip in Bangkok is highly enlightening about the way they "drive"....It is a luck that they are not allowed on the expressway. It is a shame that a few good bikers pay for the big number of bad ones. Don't get me wrong: car drivers are no better. But I am very much convinced that expressway is no place for "average" bikers. For the safety of everyone !

Hi Peaceblondie: How would the expressway gate operators decide which bike to allow in, BTW the speed limit on expressways is 120kph.

This is why the point is being missed, I think the op is not talking about the "average" rider. With higher cc's comes more responsibility, and if they did a graduated motorcycle license (like most of the rest of the world has done now), with the testing requirements being more difficult (and requiring a higher age) as you increase the size of the bike, you wouldn't see Somchai on his hacked together 150cc Honda or his 17 year old son on a Ducati on the expressways.

I think they should have a minimum 600cc limit to the expressways, many 400cc bikes look too much like the ones below them, and only allow people of a certain age and clean driving record take the test for that level of license.

This is why it may be a pipe dream though, between the price of a big bike, and the requirements that most Thais (and quite a few westerners) would fail, that leaves you with a very small population that could be on the expressways, which makes it hard to lobby for changes.

Now, to answer the op's question, I've thought about this alot because I'd love to be legally on the expressways as well. I think the only option is to find some of the Thai big motorcycle groups that have either members of the government/military or their kids in them. These are the only people who have a vested interest in changing the laws, and that could actually make a difference. I think the interests of a few Farang mean nothing to the government so you'd have to work from the inside.

I've also heard rumours that the big 3 Japanese manufacturers don't want better rules for big bikes, because they don't want Thailand to become like the west (and significantly increase the numbers of big bikes) as that would damage their small bike sales. Yes, they make alot of money from the sale of one big bike, but they make more here in the volume of small bikes sold. I still think the graduated license would keep them happy though, so if you can do it Gizmo, you've got my signature too!

Edited by Meridian007

This is why the point is being missed, I think the op is not talking about the "average" rider. With higher cc's comes more responsibility, and if they did a graduated motorcycle license (like most of the rest of the world has done now), with the testing requirements being more difficult (and requiring a higher age) as you increase the size of the bike, you wouldn't see Somchai on his hacked together 150cc Honda or his 17 year old son on a Ducati on the expressways.

I think they should have a minimum 600cc limit to the expressways, many 400cc bikes look too much like the ones below them, and only allow people of a certain age and clean driving record take the test for that level of license.

This is why it may be a pipe dream though, between the price of a big bike, and the requirements that most Thais (and quite a few westerners) would fail, that leaves you with a very small population that could be on the expressways, which makes it hard to lobby for changes.

Now, to answer the op's question, I've thought about this alot because I'd love to be legally on the expressways as well. I think the only option is to find some of the Thai big motorcycle groups that have either members of the government/military or their kids in them. These are the only people who have a vested interest in changing the laws, and that could actually make a difference. I think the interests of a few Farang mean nothing to the government so you'd have to work from the inside.

I've also heard rumours that the big 3 Japanese manufacturers don't want better rules for big bikes, because they don't want Thailand to become like the west (and significantly increase the numbers of big bikes) as that would damage their small bike sales. Yes, they make alot of money from the sale of one big bike, but they make more here in the volume of small bikes sold. I still think the graduated license would keep them happy though, so if you can do it Gizmo, you've got my signature too!

Still, you don't mention how the entrance will be granted to authorized bikers only....you don't mention how to prevent a "Somchai" who stole a bike, or modified one , to get on the expressway....still so many questions without an answer...Until then....NO Bikes. Period

Still, you don't mention how the entrance will be granted to authorized bikers only....you don't mention how to prevent a "Somchai" who stole a bike, or modified one , to get on the expressway....still so many questions without an answer...Until then....NO Bikes. Period

Erm present your photo card license ??

Is that so complex its hard for you to understand ???

Erm present your photo card license ??

Is that so complex its hard for you to understand ???

Not hard to understand the theory, but hard to understand how this will really work in the real life....

Fake cards are not difficult to get, and a card does not garantee that the bike is the one really allowed,.....I might be paranoid, but I've been here long enough to know that it's so easy to "adapt" a regulation !!! See, for example, LPG installation supposed to be approved by authorities...how many cars are now on the roads with dodgy systems ??? So , unless the system is 1,000% sure, NO bike on expressway ...Period