Penanghotel,20000on Arrival

I'm pretty certain that you don't need the 20,000 at Bangkok airport Imm. I've been through twice in the last month and haven't been asked and there are no signs.

A cheap but basic hotel is cathay hotel in Georgetown, penang. Its like an old style colonial place, but it doesn't seem to have been renovated or had new staff since then ! Its about 60-70 Ringett. There are certainly no mod-cons.

I'm pretty certain that you don't need the 20,000 at Bangkok airport Imm. I've been through twice in the last month and haven't been asked and there are no signs.

A cheap but basic hotel is cathay hotel in Georgetown, penang. Its like an old style colonial place, but it doesn't seem to have been renovated or had new staff since then ! Its about 60-70 Ringett. There are certainly no mod-cons.

Cathay, nice exterior and lobby but very dated and spartan rooms. Suggest you try the Waldorf next door if you're on a mid-range budget. About 50 a night - pretty bare but you have air-con, tv (crap) and bathroom etc. Staff are good. Alternatively, as Thaiflyer says, Hotel Continental one block away on Penang Road. Both these are near nightspots.

Doubtful they'll ask for dosh at Don Muang. Of the thousands going through last month, none (that I could see) were flashing cash at the officers; more an overland border thing really to weed out the bedraggled hangers-on.