Best Place To Live In Thailand If Money Not An Issue

ttelise

where you are happiest is the answer. do i win a prize.. no amount of money can make you happy, and it cant buy love. having said that i,d rather be miserable with money than without it.

It can certainly buy 'love' in Thailand!

Na, your wrong there, but you cannot buy Love in LOS.

If farangs think of a thai woman as a piece of "property" to be bought or sold then it stands to reason they should not complain if they ignore the property laws in LOS.

Farangs who think they have bought "property" in LOS, are always are disapointed when they learn they have only been leasing the "property" instead of owning it.

Roy gsd

Where is best place to live in Thailand if money not an issue. I would prefer a coastal region. Not concerned about housing costs or job availability. I am not sure I want the head ache and huddle and bustle of Bkk. Thank you.

Krabi is well worth a look particularly around Ao Lak/Ao Nang area - some of the best beaches and inland scenery I've seen and not too touristy.

As the previous poster said, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you prefer to avoid the sex pats and sex tourists - avoid Phuket!

What? Maybe Bangla Rd and a few seedier areas of Patong, but not the whole island. I've been around the island to know that parts are quiet and good enough to retire to or raise a family. Seriously, no one that knows Phuket is going to agree with you. What stops me from deciding on some of the nicer parts of the island is that I am not going to put out 10M baht for a condo that is worth 1M baht at best. Since money is not an issue for the OP, then Phuket will do just fine.

Personally, I'd settle for the convenience and quiet of upscale folks in Hua Hin and Cha-am. They have some stunning properties there. No one seems to get murdered, jump from buildings, go beserk in a 7-11, get arrested for some freaky act of perversion, or get mugged by a katoey.

I live in Rawai, Phuket and believe me, it is not just a few seedy areas around Patong!

Seriously, everyone I know (who actually live here), think exactly that!

I wonder when people will finally catch on. It is still being marketed as the paradise island.

I was riding around between Chalong, Rawai and Kata a couple of weeks ago. In five years there won't be a square metre of land that hasn't been concreted over. And once that big shopping mall is complete in Chalong the traffic at the roundabout will be at a standstill all day, and not just peak times.

I might give BKK a second thought if I were you. You can get a nice Luxury penthouse condo on the sukumvit take the elevator down stairs to the sky train and be anywhere ya wanna be in just a few min. Tons of great restaurants, shopping, communities...all near by. And you can always hop down to any island or beach community at your leisure as both local flights and hotels there are plentiful and high quality. Also should you want to sell, I think a penthouse on the sukumvit will go pretty fast compared to one in a beach community, with a nice return on your investment.

OP i want to smack you for asking a stupid and vague question you sound like a fool

Too funny. Some people need to get a life if they are so easily troubled.

I could easily answer the question if someone asked where to live in the US. I have lived in the West Indies and done the island thing. I am looking to spend a year in Asia. Thank you for the input and suggestions.

If you are just coming for a year why dont you spend a couple of months in a couple of locations!! You can rent a good quality Apartment in a different areas, this will give you a better appreciation of whats there. Let face it we all like different things so you really need to try it out for yourself.

Good luck.

Sadly I don`t have unlimited funds, but I spent time in Hua Hin , Phuket, and travelled a couple of Islands down south as well. I gather also that medical care is much more available in and around Pattaya than Hua Hin.

If medical care is a concern, then all roads lead to Bangkok. I strongly suggest you visit Hua Hin and Cha-Am to see for yourself. Visit Pattaya as well. There is a stigma associated with Pattaya and especially Jomtien. I don't want to cause offense to people, but you may want to ask around both in your native country and when you arrive in Thailand how residents of the area are perceived.

I also suggest you read the threads in the Pattaya forum and ask yourself if you would fit in.

WHY does everyone say avoid Phuket cause of sex?? Maybe avoid Patong BUT Phuket is much more.

Head over the hill to Kamala, i spent 10 great years there and loved it. Peacefull and easy to live and great locals.

Great hospitals, easy access to other countries and Bangkok, good schools and shopping and great food.

Only problem i had and reason i left is a bit to western for me.

Hey Geriatrickid,

"There is a stigma associated with Pattaya and especially Jomtien."

I understand the stigma for Pattaya proper, but especially Jomtien?

I'm sorry I don't get what the special stigma of Jomtien is?

Thanks.

If you're really rich, you would have at least two places: an expensive Bangkok getup for the city living, and a place with a pool on one of the islands for relax periods.

If I won the lotto, I'd probably do that. Though I might prefer the Mediterranean for the relax bit, cause the heat in Asia gets at me.

If money is not an issue (lucky old you!) why not hire a chauffeur-driven limousine and drive around the coast to look for yourself. How can we possibly advise you when we nothing of your interests and leisure pursuits, and the values your place on different living environments (aside from your preference for something coastal)?

Edited by DNPBC0

WHY does everyone say avoid Phuket cause of sex?? Maybe avoid Patong BUT Phuket is much more.

Head over the hill to Kamala, i spent 10 great years there and loved it. Peacefull and easy to live and great locals.

Great hospitals, easy access to other countries and Bangkok, good schools and shopping and great food.

Only problem i had and reason i left is a bit to western for me.

I second that kamala is fabulous

Where is best place to live in Thailand if money not an issue. I would prefer a coastal region. Not concerned about housing costs or job availability. I am not sure I want the head ache and huddle and bustle of Bkk. Thank you.

Lets see if I can give you some direction so you can formulate your question a little further.

If you do not have a Thai person there are many limitations to certain areas of Thailand which would make it very difficult for the Farang to live by himself.

First and foremost do you have a Thai significant other, if the answer is yes this opens up many possibilities for you.

If the answer is no which I suspect it is then you are limited to the big tourist areas which all of these other guys are talking about.

Examine what you would like

Do you like to live near a beach?

Do you want to live in the mountainous region?

Do you want access to Thai ladies that have sex experience?

Do you require farang food?

Do you plan on purchasing a car or a motorbike?

I live in probably the best area of Thailand but I could not live here without my trusted Thai girlfriend.

Simply put I live in Paradise!

If you ever get a girlfriend let me know.

where you are happiest is the answer. do i win a prize.. no amount of money can make you happy, and it cant buy love. having said that i,d rather be miserable with money than without it.

true! but money can buy i lot of pussy :o

I live in Rawai, Phuket and believe me, it is not just a few seedy areas around Patong!

Maybe you should take your own advice as you seem to have an 'attitude' towards certain couples.

Sadly I don`t have unlimited funds, but I spent time in Hua Hin , Phuket, and travelled a couple of Islands down south as well. I am searching for Golf/Tennis/sailing zones, clean beach & a good all year round climate. Pattaya has now been mentioned as a worthwhile place, easier to get to new Airport, place is tidying up a bit.. Bags of good condo`s to rent long/ medium term. I would settle I gather for Jomtiem, am reading it is much less seedy than central Pattaya, but close enough to indulge in if needed. I gather also that medical care is much more available in and around Pattaya than Hua Hin. Furthermore Cinemas show English films, although I guess instant copies would be available.

Finally it is easy to travel to almost anywhere else in Thailand from Bangkok Airport ( the new one) should one need, and after the hassle of getting to London Gatwick or London Heathrow,(with the exception of road travel safety) that is a right result for Pattya.

Does anyone know about local expat golf societies or sporting clubs.

Finally any suggestions of well built , well managed condo units in and around Jomtiem. Thoughts !!??

I think that you are on the right track - Jomtien or Ban Saray (even further from Pattaya) are great places to live for all the reasons you mention; good all year weather, many good expat golf and sports clubs (try http://www.pattayasports.org/ ). Superb golf (19 top courses within one hour's drive) and many other sports - lots to see and do, great food and restaurants, many good/great beaches and islands nearby and you don't have to go into Pattaya except for shopping for some exotic expat treats. The local people outside Pattaya are OK ( spoilt by too many tourists and expats etc.), though not as friendly as more rural parts. Convenient for travelling etc. Many good condos at reasonable prices to choose from (all budgets)

That's why I live there!!!

Sadly I don`t have unlimited funds, but I spent time in Hua Hin , Phuket, and travelled a couple of Islands down south as well. I am searching for Golf/Tennis/sailing zones, clean beach & a good all year round climate. Pattaya has now been mentioned as a worthwhile place, easier to get to new Airport, place is tidying up a bit.. Bags of good condo`s to rent long/ medium term. I would settle I gather for Jomtiem, am reading it is much less seedy than central Pattaya, but close enough to indulge in if needed. I gather also that medical care is much more available in and around Pattaya than Hua Hin. Furthermore Cinemas show English films, although I guess instant copies would be available.

Finally it is easy to travel to almost anywhere else in Thailand from Bangkok Airport ( the new one) should one need, and after the hassle of getting to London Gatwick or London Heathrow,(with the exception of road travel safety) that is a right result for Pattya.

Finally any suggestions of well built , well managed condo units in and around Jomtiem. Thoughts !!??

I think that you are on the right track - Jomtien or Ban Saray (even further from Pattaya) are great places to live for all the reasons you mention; good all year weather, many good expat golf and sports clubs (try http://www.pattayasports.org/ ). Superb golf (19 top courses within one hour's drive) and many other sports - lots to see and do, great food and restaurants, many good/great beaches and islands nearby and you don't have to go into Pattaya except for shopping for some exotic expat treats. The local people outside Pattaya are OK ( spoilt by too many tourists and expats etc.), though not as friendly as more rural parts. Convenient for travelling etc. Many good condos at reasonable prices to choose from (all budgets)

Thanks for the info, any hints on where to find Condo`s to rent a reasonable prices ? I looked at the sports club connection, I will e-mail them, can`t work out the pricing for playing the local courses.( my Mac does not open their XLS files) I did like Hua Hin, and Cha-am Is also nice, I am not expecting hospitals to be the sole reason , but In Hua Hin you are two hours away, in Pattaya one is close to treatment if needed. Jomtiem I gather has a reputation for Gays, no problem with that, Mrs Sessachief would take exception to old with very young, and I have to say I would very much support her in that. I can fly everywhere else i want, and Cambodia and Vietnam are on my list. My son in law suggests Pattaya is worth a look. So where to view the area by the Internet, does google earth give a good enough overview?! Tally Ho , role on December/january :o

Condo in Bangkok at Long Suan, Silom or Thong Lor...and a beach house on Koh Samet or in Hua Hin or Pattaya.

Though Thailand might seem cheap, the upper end of the market is actually quite expensive. A nice up-market 2 br condo in Bangkok will cost 100,000 baht/month or more.

I could easily answer the question if someone asked where to live in the US. I have lived in the West Indies and done the island thing. I am looking to spend a year in Asia. Thank you for the input and suggestions.

Having lived in the west indies myself I reckon you probably want some nice water to go along with your coastal region.

If you want to travel around and money is not much of a concern you could do much worse than koh samui, International airport on the island with direct flights to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok. Phuket and Pattaya. Koh Tao has pretty decent water and is about an hour and a half away by ferry. Koh Phangan hosts some fairly nice parties and is about 30 mins away. There are also loads of nice houses for rent on Samui. Samui itself has decent restaurants, bars and some ok beaches and all night party places.

If you are really into the water: Similan Islands.

Post Back when you find a place to recommend.