Best Place To Live In Thailand If Money Not An Issue

ttelise

Where is best place to live in Thailand if money not an issue. I would prefer a coastal region. Not concerned about housing costs or job availability. I am not sure I want the head ache and huddle and bustle of Bkk. Thank you.

Where is best place to live in Thailand if money not an issue. I would prefer a coastal region. Not concerned about housing costs or job availability. I am not sure I want the head ache and huddle and bustle of Bkk. Thank you.

If money is not an issue, why live in Thailand? Why not live in the Seychelles, Bermuda, The Bahamas, Mauritius, La Reunion…etc.

OP i want to smack you for asking a stupid and vague question you sound like a fool

never mind lifeisrandom,

sounds like he is having a bad hair day, or is it the change of life that makes him/her so aggresive? :o

Or perhaps just a case of old fashioned envy? :D

roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

where you are happiest is the answer. do i win a prize.. no amount of money can make you happy, and it cant buy love. having said that i,d rather be miserable with money than without it.

It can certainly buy 'love' in Thailand!

OP i want to smack you for asking a stupid and vague question you sound like a fool

Too funny. Some people need to get a life if they are so easily troubled.

I could easily answer the question if someone asked where to live in the US. I have lived in the West Indies and done the island thing. I am looking to spend a year in Asia. Thank you for the input and suggestions.

Dusit Palace is very nice if you can persuade the sitting tennant to vacate. :o

Its a bit of a subjective question really, like asking ' which is the best colour in the spectrum.' If money is really no object you could probably live anywhere and have a good time. Since you would like a coastal area though you might consider Hua Hin. Not to far from the city ( 3 hrs ) , not as in your face as Pattaya and not as pretentious as Phuket.

Obviously, within reason. Not Brad Pitt budget, but not teacher's budget. Somewhere in between.

Cha-am better than Hua Hin in most cases. If you have the resources, try driving around the Kingdom with a friend and sample different areas. My opinion is to avoid BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, Korat. Udon, Ubon etc. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have been 6 years in Isaan on the Mekong River and it is fabulous in every way. DRIVE AROUND AND LOOK/SAMPLE the delights available.

What is wrong with Phuket. How is Koh Samui. I will defiitely check out Hua Hin.

I really would like to get settled quickly when I am there and then travel around.

If you are going to travel around then you really want to make your base on the mainland preferrably close to Bangkok. I would have suggested Koh Chang but that a fair way out and a boat ride back to the mainland before you start travelling. Hua Hin is probably best choice but don't be too quick discounting Pattaya/Jomtien. You don't have to live right in the centre of the city and house/condo rentals need not cost the earth (condo is probably best if you are going to be away for longish periods). The advantage with the location is the proximity to Suvarnabhumi for flights and the roads to Bangkok and hence the north are not too bad on average. Not too convenient if you want to travel down the south though.

As the previous poster said, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you prefer to avoid the sex pats and sex tourists - avoid Phuket!

What? Maybe Bangla Rd and a few seedier areas of Patong, but not the whole island. I've been around the island to know that parts are quiet and good enough to retire to or raise a family. Seriously, no one that knows Phuket is going to agree with you. What stops me from deciding on some of the nicer parts of the island is that I am not going to put out 10M baht for a condo that is worth 1M baht at best. Since money is not an issue for the OP, then Phuket will do just fine.

Personally, I'd settle for the convenience and quiet of upscale folks in Hua Hin and Cha-am. They have some stunning properties there. No one seems to get murdered, jump from buildings, go beserk in a 7-11, get arrested for some freaky act of perversion, or get mugged by a katoey.

Singapore.

Oh yeah, Thailand. Hua Hin as it is yet to fully developed. The real estate industry section of Organized Crime has yet to fully gain a foothold there.

Why are there twice as many deeds as there are properties in Phuket?

What is wrong with Phuket. How is Koh Samui. I will defiitely check out Hua Hin.

I really would like to get settled quickly when I am there and then travel around.

Not much is wrong with Phuket. Good communications, shopping, beaches, mountain views. You can choose between busy and touristy places like Patong Beach and quieter and relaxing areas like Rawai, Nai Harn or Chalong. But Phuket is not everyones cup of tea. It doesn't have the charm and soul of a real tropical island. If that's what you after try Koh Samui. Inspite of poor infrastructure (roads!) and endemic corruption it still is the most beautiful and comfortable seaside place in Thailand for me.

Its a bit of a subjective question really, like asking ' which is the best colour in the spectrum.' If money is really no object you could probably live anywhere and have a good time. Since you would like a coastal area though you might consider Hua Hin. Not to far from the city ( 3 hrs ) , not as in your face as Pattaya and not as pretentious as Phuket.

Obviously, within reason. Not Brad Pitt budget, but not teacher's budget. Somewhere in between.

Geez that narrows it down :D

Singapore.

Oh yeah, Thailand. Hua Hin as it is yet to fully developed. The real estate industry section of Organized Crime has yet to fully gain a foothold there.

Best comment I heard comparing Singapore to Thailand was "great hardware, lousy software" whereas in Thailand it is the opposite!

I'd vote for Hua Hin area. Further from BKK and the airport than Pattaya area but much, much nicer. Unless you are looking for a good selection in bar girls, of course, which makes Pattaya a no-brainer!

Who is this twit lifeisrandom? I do not understand what kind of miserable existence forces someone to make such a mindless comment. The question was fair. Some of the more considered comments indicate that to be the case. Even the flippant posting starting with Dusit Palace made intelligent suggestions. I quit one forum because of out of control miserable morons like 'random. Cuttingly funny is O.K. but out and out nastiness just pisses me off. Grow up 'random.

We need to put a qualifying mental age limit on the forum.

Singapore.

Best comment I heard comparing Singapore to Thailand was "great hardware, lousy software" whereas in Thailand it is the opposite!

I'd vote for Hua Hin area. Further from BKK and the airport than Pattaya area but much, much nicer. Unless you are looking for a good selection in bar girls, of course, which makes Pattaya a no-brainer!

Who is this twit lifeisrandom? I do not understand what kind of miserable existence forces someone to make such a mindless comment. The question was fair. Some of the more considered comments indicate that to be the case. Even the flippant posting starting with Dusit Palace made intelligent suggestions. I quit one forum because of out of control miserable morons like 'random. Cuttingly funny is O.K. but out and out nastiness just pisses me off. Grow up 'random.

We need to put a qualifying mental age limit on the forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thais-Hate-Us-Envy-Us-t207400.html

I have a recent topic for you that makes 'life is random' a genus by comparison. I love Thai Visa!

Singapore.

Im from Singapore. It's too small & too little things to do. Only thing good about Singapore is that its a "safe" country to live in.

Since being in Thailand for 15mths now , I don't miss Singapore even a bit. :o

Since the King's summer palace is in Hua Hin it is probably one of the safest places in Thailand to live. I'm quite taken with Cha Am, in my mind it is a brillant place to live. That is assuming you are not big on night life and bar girls. The beach is very nice, and clean.

Good luck in finding a place.

Or maybe if he wants to downgrade a bit, Klong Toey might be an option. Not downtown, and by the beautiful river.

Sadly I don`t have unlimited funds, but I spent time in Hua Hin , Phuket, and travelled a couple of Islands down south as well. I am searching for Golf/Tennis/sailing zones, clean beach & a good all year round climate. Pattaya has now been mentioned as a worthwhile place, easier to get to new Airport, place is tidying up a bit.. Bags of good condo`s to rent long/ medium term. I would settle I gather for Jomtiem, am reading it is much less seedy than central Pattaya, but close enough to indulge in if needed. I gather also that medical care is much more available in and around Pattaya than Hua Hin. Furthermore Cinemas show English films, although I guess instant copies would be available.

Finally it is easy to travel to almost anywhere else in Thailand from Bangkok Airport ( the new one) should one need, and after the hassle of getting to London Gatwick or London Heathrow,(with the exception of road travel safety) that is a right result for Pattya.

Does anyone know about local expat golf societies or sporting clubs.

Finally any suggestions of well built , well managed condo units in and around Jomtiem. Thoughts !!??

Sadly I don`t have unlimited funds, but I spent time in Hua Hin , Phuket, and travelled a couple of Islands down south as well. I am searching for Golf/Tennis/sailing zones, clean beach & a good all year round climate. Pattaya has now been mentioned as a worthwhile place, easier to get to new Airport, place is tidying up a bit.. Bags of good condo`s to rent long/ medium term. I would settle I gather for Jomtiem, am reading it is much less seedy than central Pattaya, but close enough to indulge in if needed. I gather also that medical care is much more available in and around Pattaya than Hua Hin. Furthermore Cinemas show English films, although I guess instant copies would be available.

Finally it is easy to travel to almost anywhere else in Thailand from Bangkok Airport ( the new one) should one need, and after the hassle of getting to London Gatwick or London Heathrow,(with the exception of road travel safety) that is a right result for Pattya.

Does anyone know about local expat golf societies or sporting clubs.

Finally any suggestions of well built , well managed condo units in and around Jomtiem. Thoughts !!??

I think that you are on the right track - Jomtien or Ban Saray (even further from Pattaya) are great places to live for all the reasons you mention; good all year weather, many good expat golf and sports clubs (try http://www.pattayasports.org/ ). Superb golf (19 top courses within one hour's drive) and many other sports - lots to see and do, great food and restaurants, many good/great beaches and islands nearby and you don't have to go into Pattaya except for shopping for some exotic expat treats. The local people outside Pattaya are OK ( spoilt by too many tourists and expats etc.), though not as friendly as more rural parts. Convenient for travelling etc. Many good condos at reasonable prices to choose from (all budgets)

That's why I live there!!!