Should I Consider Buying A Thai Elite Card?

I know many members will call me stupid, but I’m seriously considering buying the Elite Card in the future. The reason behind this is simply the convenient Visa service they offer.

You get a 5 year Visa that is renewable for another 5 years after that and so on until you die or decide to leave Thailand for good. All you need to do is to get the Visa extended every 90 days – easy process without leaving the Kingdom.

As I’m 30 now and don’t qualify for a retirement Visa for another 25 years, I see this as a rather good option. If you break it down, the cost wouldn’t be that high at all per year, and the grief you save yourself not having to leave Thailand every now and then is well worth it. I would also use some of the other benefits they offer.

I currently have a work permit so this is not something I would get right now but perhaps when I leave my current employment.

I know there are other options available such as starting a ‘ghost’ company, but then you have all the hassle of paying tax, dealing with the labor department etc…

According to the guys at the Thai Elite website, the membership/contract would last a lifetime no matter what Government are in charge. Then again, you never know what could happen here in Thailand!

There has to be someone on the forum that actually has the card and could potentially share their experience?

According to the guys at the Thai Elite website, the membership/contract would last a lifetime no matter what Government are in charge.

Don't lose sight of the fact that these same guys at the Thai Elite website had also made the claim that Elite Card holders would also be able to purchase land.

According to the guys at the Thai Elite website, the membership/contract would last a lifetime no matter what Government are in charge.

Don't lose sight of the fact that these same guys at the Thai Elite website had also made the claim that Elite Card holders would also be able to purchase land.

I have got one.....

I bought it for (1) golf rights (2) Thai air benefits (3) airport service. I am a permanent resident so the visa is not a particularly big deal.

Would I buy one now, if I hadnt already got on. No.

My assumption when I bought it was that there was a high degree of political will behind it - esentially that while Thaksin was around the card program would be valid. I am not sure that is the case anymore.

(And before any comments. Yes, I do have more money than sense)

PM me if you wish.

funny jaidee - on the elite website it says not for sale for permanent residents ...

anyway, there are cheaper ways to get a safe visa than having the elite card. but if money is no issue its a quick and painless way with some nice priviledges

The membership is for lifetime, only thing I am not sure, your life or the club's life?

Elite visa: Yes it works and it is written down in the book of laws. How long? I don't know, but I guess for at least another five years.

Btw: You say you are 30, so only 20 years for retirement at 50 (no longer 55)

If you only go for the visa, it is Baht 50,000 p.a., IF it lasts for 20 years. If the club is closed, the law would no longer be applicable.

My say, use Baht 3 million and buy an elegible appartment.

I have got one.....

I bought it for (1) golf rights (2) Thai air benefits (3) airport service. I am a permanent resident so the visa is not a particularly big deal.

My assumption when I bought it was that there was a high degree of political will behind it - esentially that while Thaksin was around the card program would be valid. I am not sure that is the case anymore.

PM me if you wish.

Have you used the little glass VIP waiting rooms at the airport? Did you feel like a goldfish in a bowl?

Have you ever found the Elite immigration counter open when entering or leaving the country? I've only rarely seen anyone manning it, and when they were, they were letting anyone go through. Or do you have to inform them in advance when you plan to avail yourself?

It is my opinion that it is a very poor bet that the five year renewable visa granted by the Elite Card will be around for any significant amount of time. I think it will be honored for the initial five years, and then, maybe, for another five year renewal after that.

But after ten years? Hmmm.

Bangkok Post 25 ov 2004 - New makeover set up as authorities deny reports of a buyback plan

The troubled Thailand Elite Card programme is set for a new makeover even as authorities yesterday denied reports that a buyback programme was being planned for disgruntled cardholders.

If this denial comes to be true as most denials in Thailand eventually do, then the Card was indeed a good investment after all. Don't hold your breath! :o

i dont have one and have never really considered buying one , but for those people who have a great aversion to dealing with thai bureaucracy , immigration officers , endless form filling and obtaining letters from banks , embassies , doctors etc. then this card might just be a one stop way to rid themselves of those tedious hassles. at least for 5 years.

i'm assuming that on presentation of the card at the relevant times and places , doors will be opened and wheels will be oiled.

Bangkok Post 25 ov 2004 - New makeover set up as authorities deny reports of a buyback plan

The troubled Thailand Elite Card programme is set for a new makeover even as authorities yesterday denied reports that a buyback programme was being planned for disgruntled cardholders.

If this denial comes to be true as most denials in Thailand eventually do, then the Card was indeed a good investment after all. Don't hold your breath! :huh:

This is extremely embarrassing.

I was very rude about the whole concept of the Card from the beginning.

Now, according to this mornings’ Bangkok Post, the issuing Company is denying “reports” (which, strangely, I have not seen in either English or Thai media) that a “buyback” program (which obviously does not exist because the Company says so) will pay “disgruntled” Cardholders Baht 3 million to surrender their “Elite” Card – plus of course whatever ephemeral “privileges” they thought they were buying.

Given that the Elite Card was introduced just over a year ago, that's a 300% return on investment.

Buying an Elite Card would have been a much better investment than buying Gold!

Don't count on that, governments are *entitled* to change their mind. They are the government ! They shouldn't be making assurances like that on their website, because they can't back it up.

The annoying thing is that they could make the card viable if they wanted to - by offering a few real benefits like residency, right to own a property, stuff like that, nothing that would kill anyone. Seeing as they are disinclined to do so, the message I get is that the governments attitude is 'even if you bring bucketloads of money in, you're still a ###### foreigner'.

Buying an Elite Card would have been a much better investment than buying Gold!

...if the "report" were true, that is.

True of course, it's just in my nature to be cynical, hence my Post.

And there is no direct Thai translation for "Trial Balloon" ..... or is there??

:o

'Trial balloon' in TH, yeap : deathly shootings of alledged drugdealers by the authorities fabricated as fights between drugdealers. BTW : who else can afford buying that Golden thing and believe to be save for years 55555555

Wonder why they haven't tried selling passports, like those banana island republics in the South Pacific do?

TH gov too paranoid ... hmmm on 2nd thought .....of course every paranoid is right about being stalked isn't it 555555555

PVT : BTW where is menu for them pacific pps ? Are Hawai and Tahiti on there as haute cuisine dishes :o ?

The annoying thing is that they could make the card viable if they wanted to - by offering a few real benefits like residency, right to own a property, stuff like that, nothing that would kill anyone.

Except that I don't believe that anyone involved in the Thailand Elite Card program had/has the authority to make any decision of that nature, nor do I believe that any Thai authority having jurisdiction over such matters has any interest in changing the current rules to include Elite Card holders. Sales of Elite Cards is not their department, lack of Elite Cards sales is not their problem.

Maybe your intrested in buying a Darknights Visa to the world then for a mere 500.000 bath. Lifetime membership, lot's of freebies, easy visa acces to most country's :o

Can I be your partner in this Dark ? Sounds just as valid as the Elite Card. I heard the board has fled the scene ( again )

I definitely don’t agree with buying the card just to avoid bureaucracy. All you are doing is paying one large bride instead of many small ones.

Basically by paying a lot of money you would only be fueling the fire, and encouraging

the Thai government to hassle foreigners about anything and everything they can to get another couple of baht out of them.

3 million baht buyback, on a 1 million baht investment, does that sound like something a Thai company sponsored by the government would do?

Why would they buy them back? what would they have to lose if they just cancelled them?

There reputation? 555 even they know there reputation isn’t worth 50 satang in the world that actually puts common sense into practice.

3 million baht buyback, on a 1 million baht investment, does that sound like something a Thai company sponsored by the government would do?

Why would they buy them back?

Last ditch advertising campaign of a sinking ship.

Maybe this is why the OP is interested in buying one

• 3 months later...

[

I have got one.....

PM me if you wish.

Hi there, I also want to buy the Card. Pls can you tell me yr experience with Thai Air benefits and also the Airport Service ??

thanks

[email protected]