Skype Voip

john b good

Can't fine the computer section so here goes (and you might transfer later)

Friend in US has "skype" and well who doesn't ?? but he has a hand phone that he uses that has Skype accessibility. Has a base that connects to the modem, does not require the computer to be on, can receive and send Skype calls with the same convenience as a mobile walk around telephone. Has a range of about 300 metres from the base station.

The phone (handpiece) that he has is a Philip's 841 VOIP

Has anyone heard of such an animal here in Thailand.

Friend in US has "skype" and well who doesn't ?? but he has a hand phone that he uses that has Skype accessibility. Has a base that connects to the modem, does not require the computer to be on, can receive and send Skype calls with the same convenience as a mobile walk around telephone. Has a range of about 300 metres from the base station.

I have that exact same phone at home in Australia. Havent seen them anywhere in Thailand though. Only cost me $100AUD. Wish I had bought it over here.

I have that exact same phone at home in Australia. Havent seen them anywhere in Thailand though. Only cost me $100AUD. Wish I had bought it over here.

Thanks for the info. I will ask a friend to check one out.

JBG, go to IT City at Central Airport Plaza and you can buy a wireless BELKIN or is it DLINK dedicated Skype VOIP phone for about THB 3 k plus.

If its a "handphone" that you are talking about as in a mobile phone with VOIP capabilities, then most higher range N series and E series Nokia phones are Skype friendly. Also most PDA phones such as ASUS, HP, DOPOD, HTC are installed with MS Mobile Operating systems that can also accommodate the installation of Skype. But bear in mind that these phones should also be VOIP enabled in case you choose to go with VOIPdiscount or the hundreds of VOIP providers out there.

Oh yeah, don't forget to make sure that these mobile phones or PDA phones should also have wi-fi capabilities.

I have a Skype hand phone and it's useless. Not because of call quality which is fine, but whoever made this thing doesn't understand the way people use Skype, and that usually before making the actual call, people tend to Skype-chat you to check if you're available, then make the call. Well guess what, the phone doesn't do Skype chat, doesn't even show it.

So before you buy, make sure the thing does Skype chat or else people will not call you if you don't (can't) reply to a 'Hi, good morning, do you have time for a call?"

Secondly, a lot of mobile phones offer Skype, so then you don't need a separate piece of hardware anyway. This includes Windows Mobile phones as well as Nokia phones though apps like Fring or Nimbuzz. (There's a native Skype beta out for Nokia but it's business model is confused, I hope someone at Skype sees the light before it's too late)

I am about to ditch this old laptop and purchase another with camera, bluetooth, etc..

My Motorola cellphone also has bluetooth and I would like to purchase an earphone/mike that will work with both my phone and Skype on my computer so that I am not on a leash when I have to pee and am on an international call.

Thoughts?

And, here is another option to skype. My friend in Hawaii just sent me this little gadget that plugs into a usb port and has a regular phone jack on the other end that you can plug a standard phone [cordless or not] and has software built in that takes a couple of minutes to install and then they assign you a real phone number in the US with area code. somewhat limited choices of area codes now, but may expand.

Then you can call unlimited to the USA/Canada and quality is much better than Skype, that has oversold it's capacity to serve IMHO. cost is $20 for hardware and $20 for first year.

Good quality, good value and easy to use.

to check it out, go to www.magicjack.com

I appreciate all the replies.

The link to a full review of the Philips VOIP 841 is here. Has a video showing all the stuff as well.

http://www.voipmonitor.net/2007/08/07/Phil...one+Review.aspx

The Philips does not need the computer to be booted up.

It has a base station that plugs into your modem.

It can receive call as a normal Phone and can also receive Skype calls. (with computer off)

It has two ringing tones (for calls coming in) one indicating a Skype call and the other for normal landline calls.

It has a screen and shows the callers 'skype name' and can store 500 skype contacts.

I was talking to a guy in the states yesterday (me on my laptop and him sitting in his lounge "with computer off") The call quality was brilliant as if he was in the next room.

I have had someone make an inquiry in Australia and he said that Harvey Norman do not carry Philip's products.

I know (leastaways I know now) that there are many options available and the Philips was the first that I heard of.

The option to be able to use it without the computer being on is to me a plus.

Don't know why but the link looked wrong when I pasted it in.

Try again.....

http://www.voipmonitor.net/2007/08/07/Phil...one+Review.aspx

Edited by john b good

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late with this but there's another, cheaper option -- www.jajah.com.

It works just like skype but you talk thru any phone you want. Your computer has to be on though. You can set it up with a variety of your numbers to use -- home, office, mobile, etc. To make a call, you tell the site which phone you'd like to talk from and dial through the computer. Your phone will ring and say "jajah is connecting you." the phone will then ring on the other end.

I've found the connection to be as good as skype. Calls are free to other jajah users, same as skype.

And, here is another option to skype. My friend in Hawaii just sent me this little gadget that plugs into a usb port and has a regular phone jack on the other end that you can plug a standard phone [cordless or not] and has software built in that takes a couple of minutes to install and then they assign you a real phone number in the US with area code. somewhat limited choices of area codes now, but may expand.

Then you can call unlimited to the USA/Canada and quality is much better than Skype, that has oversold it's capacity to serve IMHO. cost is $20 for hardware and $20 for first year.

Good quality, good value and easy to use.

to check it out, go to www.magicjack.com

This was reported and recommended in the Bangkok Post Database section this week. Sounds good if you make a lot of calls to the U.S.