Does Anyone Ever Buy A Tuk Tuk For Personal Use?

CanadaNorm

I was going to get one for a bit of fun and use it instead of a motorbike. The problem is that there not worth the money for what they are, I went to several companies and was quoted between 190,000 to 250,000 baht

I was going to get one for a bit of fun and use it instead of a motorbike. The problem is that there not worth the money for what they are, I went to several companies and was quoted between 190,000 to 250,000 baht

That's not too bad ..... the new one I looked at had a water-cooled 650cc twin and shaft drive. Four speed with reverse, 23 BHP, but only drum brakes. Main probelm would be that it can't fit through traffic any better than a car, but a 1000 kg load capacity beats any bike.

Was talking to a local guy the other day and he reckons a new samlor is 30,000B. Not quite a tuk-tuk but the Isaan version. 125 ish single cylinder aircooled engine and chain drive. Never heard of a 650cc shaft driven tuk-tuk as mentioned above and 23BHP can't be correct.

I would have thought you need a special licence to drive one and be a Thai national to obtain it. Anyway if you could drive one i think the fun would wear off when the local tuk tuk drivers think your nicking thier fares and you come back from shopping and find it parked the other way up, or your sitting in traffic and a genuine tuk tuk arrives at 80 kph expecting you to do a tuk tuk manoeuvre like drive up the pavement and smack into you when it does'nt happen !

Was talking to a local guy the other day and he reckons a new samlor is 30,000B. Not quite a tuk-tuk but the Isaan version. 125 ish single cylinder aircooled engine and chain drive. Never heard of a 650cc shaft driven tuk-tuk as mentioned above and 23BHP can't be correct.

That's what it says in the brochure. For some odd reason there's a stack of colour brochures for tuk-tuks and the long wheelbase versions as well as the delivery van version .... in my local coffee shop??

Was talking to a local guy the other day and he reckons a new samlor is 30,000B. Not quite a tuk-tuk but the Isaan version. 125 ish single cylinder aircooled engine and chain drive. Never heard of a 650cc shaft driven tuk-tuk as mentioned above and 23BHP can't be correct.

Perhaps its a butchered Ural Cosack? they had reverse too,

Cheers Lickey..