Ubon & The Farang Food Famine

OldgitTom

Pab,

thanks to your tip, I connected to Tesco customer suggestions online service. They even replied by phone as well as email. Nice PR, but will let you know if the customer choice actually improves.

Mai pen rai; Wrong Way café Ubon supplied me with a fresh, chewy loaf of bread & a chunk of Stilton (ex-BKK) today. When my gnashers are dancing, suddenly it’s spring, everyone is young & in love, even Old git Tom.

That sounds nice O g Tom :o:D

You guys are right - Thai's do eat the living heck out of pizza & fried chicken.

I find it humorus the <deleted> that are so rabid against USA fast food.

Close your stupid eyes & drive on by. While we laugh at you.

In the real world - I double dog dare you to go to any McDonald's & find one kid under 7 without a huge shift eating grin on their face.

It's good food fast hot & cheap - AND THAI'S LOVE IT. sukk on that for a while. Here in Bangkok we are spolied for choice.

O yeah - lest I forget George Bush has done a great job. Many times better than his predecessor. That needs to be said loud & often.

One thing I cannot find in Ubon or in Phuket is plain corn chips like doritos. You can get the flavored up junk but no plain chips. No Tex Mex worth anything has been found yet. Mexican food in Thailand is Mexican food, not Tex Mex. The mexican food tastes like it was made in North Dakota, bland, salty and boring.

You guys are right - Thai's do eat the living heck out of pizza & fried chicken.

Dotcom,

I don't think we are 'rabid', altho you seem to have an attack of verbal rabies (wake up at the back there moderator, & note '<deleted>'). Wipe the foam from your clashing jaws & reconsider.

Hamburgers came from Germany, pizza from Pizzonia, deep fat from Greece, & French fries from UK. Many hate to see kids ruining their health & teeth on this filth-food, that's all.

Kids & adults often like what is bad for them, so oldies try to protect juniors. But popular? I once took a poor Thai family to the burger joint. Before, they were hot for this stuff, I think because they had seen so much TV advertizing, but never tried it. When they did, they weren't grinning, & nobody ate much – a waste of my money & seigneural benevolence.

And fast food cheap? Not in my book. Pizza for 4, is about 800 Baht locally. Few outside the affluent middleclass can afford it. That's why it has glamor appeal. Like upmarket coffee bars, it's chic & fashionable, & shows you got plenty of conkers.

As for George Bush II, you are entitled to your choice of junk presidents, but please try to stay on topic. Unless there are plans to recycle him in burgers?

Edited by OldgitTom

We don't have cheese in Bangkok either. The 2 pictures below from Central Chidlom yest. Food Hall which is merely another name for TOPS. Enjoy.

Dotcom.,

I cannot follow your thought processes. The topic is lack of cheese choices (etc.) in Ubon, whence TOPS has been long chased by Tesco, Macro, Big C, etc. , as explained in a much earlier post.

Chidlom is on Ploenchit, BKK, yes? So what exactly are you trying to say?

i made a great spagetti for the kids in Ubon with mince pork and a pasta sauce from BigC. my son loved it.....

Spaghetti Bolognese the pinnacle of western food. You must be Thai and have never left the country, other than this it is inexplicable how you can have such a narrow horizon. At least your son will know that leaving Isaan will be just wrong, if this is the best food he can get outside...

My son was 12 months old at the time so I was hardly going to let him eat Som-Tam while we were on holiday just to say we had the real Isaan experience with our kids. Get real please I eat often and love thai food in UK when my wife cooks it and when we're over in Thailand. However, my two young sons will not eat Thai food and my wfe has tried several times since but they only seem to like western food. If they were born in a village up in the sticks then maybe they would be eating sticky rice every day but not here in UK.

Could someone enlighten me as to the obligation that once one has settled in Thailand then one must adapt to Thai cuisine and forget about former western tastes.

Am I to presume that all those who berate others on still searching and eating western delights have thrown away all their Rock, Souls and Dance CDs and now listen only to Luk Tung ....... No; I thought not.

i made a great spagetti for the kids in Ubon with mince pork and a pasta sauce from BigC. my son loved it.....

Spaghetti Bolognese the pinnacle of western food. You must be Thai and have never left the country, other than this it is inexplicable how you can have such a narrow horizon. At least your son will know that leaving Isaan will be just wrong, if this is the best food he can get outside...

My son was 12 months old at the time so I was hardly going to let him eat Som-Tam while we were on holiday just to say we had the real Isaan experience with our kids. Get real please I eat often and love thai food in UK when my wife cooks it and when we're over in Thailand. However, my two young sons will not eat Thai food and my wfe has tried several times since but they only seem to like western food. If they were born in a village up in the sticks then maybe they would be eating sticky rice every day but not here in UK.

Could someone enlighten me as to the obligation that once one has settled in Thailand then one must adapt to Thai cuisine and forget about former western tastes.

Nice

Am I to presume that all those who berate others on still searching and eating western delights have thrown away all their Rock, Souls and Dance CDs and now listen only to Luk Tung ....... No; I thought not.

Can’t see where the problem lies. I haven’t had to goto Tesco’s or Udon for that matter for months. Here in Ban Dung (70km NE Udon) the minimarts are falling over each other to cater for farang tastes, even where it comes to cheeses, Aust margarine and the like. We get together as a group and import other delicatessen type produce from BKK. The only thing I miss is the Tesco French bread, but most other types are delivered fresh every day.

PS. When did Tops close? I bought Lamb there about 3 months ago?

Can’t see where the problem lies. I haven’t had to goto Tesco’s or Udon for that matter for months. Here in Ban Dung (70km NE Udon) the minimarts are falling over each other to cater for farang tastes, even where it comes to cheeses, Aust margarine and the like. We get together as a group and import other delicatessen type produce from BKK. The only thing I miss is the Tesco French bread, but most other types are delivered fresh every day.

PS. When did Tops close? I bought Lamb there about 3 months ago?

The topic's about food in Ubon Ratchathani................................

not Udon Thani :o

Bdenner,

Can't see where the problem lies. PS. When did Tops close? I bought Lamb there about 3 months ago?

Ubon TOPS closed around 2004. The problem lies with the numerous drunken, stoned, geriatric & immature farts on this site. We talk of Ubon, not Udon (as Bergen reminds us). Please tune your ear-trumpet ("No. this isn't your son, it's the embalmer"). And the last time I looked, Ban Dung was in Indonesia.

Words cannot express how happy I am that so many smug gits at spots around the globe are not suffering from cheese choice deficiencies. That makes me so, so happy, my nipples explode in ecstasy.

Feffejonsson,

good luck in attempting to enter the milk products field. But you will need a bit more than one (hired!) cow. The farangs I know who tried it ended up broke. Let's just say 'certain interests' did not approve. I believe there is a Swedish dairy project somewhere south of Ubon. The cows there are raised in aircon hangars. What do they do with the product? Dunno, maybe export it to smug gits in Ban Dung?

Whatever, there is a rather good veggie restaurant/store in Warinchamrab (next to Ubon). Details if anyone other than me & the local monks is interested.

When you know the world is a madhouse, many things become clearer.

Edited by OldgitTom

Bdenner,
Can't see where the problem lies. PS. When did Tops close? I bought Lamb there about 3 months ago?

Ubon TOPS closed around 2004. The problem lies with the numerous drunken, stoned, geriatric & immature farts on this site. We talk of Ubon, not Udon (as Bergen reminds us). Please tune your ear-trumpet ("No. this isn't your son, it's the embalmer"). And the last time I looked, Ban Dung was in Indonesia.

Words cannot express how happy I am that so many smug gits at spots around the globe are not suffering from cheese choice deficiencies. That makes me so, so happy, my nipples explode in ecstasy.

Feffejonsson,

good luck in attempting to enter the milk products field. But you will need a bit more than one (hired!) cow. The farangs I know who tried it ended up broke. Let's just say 'certain interests' did not approve. I believe there is a Swedish dairy project somewhere south of Ubon. The cows there are raised in aircon hangars. What do they do with the product? Dunno, maybe export it to smug gits in Ban Dung?

Whatever, there is a rather good veggie restaurant/store in Warinchamrab (next to Ubon). Details if anyone other than me & the local monks is interested.

I'm interested as the mrs. is a part time vegetarian :o .........so details por favore :D

Bergen,

there is a rather good veggie restaurant/store in Warinchamrab (next to Ubon). Details if anyone other than me & the local monks is interested.

I'm interested as the mrs. is a part time vegetarian :o .........so details por favore :D

There is a very large market in Warin town center, with roads on 4 sides. Circle the market till you see a big, ornate water tower. Face it, & just to the right, tucked away in a corner, hidden behind a tree, is the veggie buffet-eatery, with store attached. Strange for Warin, it has signs in English outside.

Recommended, the veggie sausages, spicey & not. Even a Viking cannibal might like them!

Close your stupid eyes & drive on by. While we laugh at you.

In the real world - I double dog dare you to go to any McDonald's & find one kid under 7 without a huge shift eating grin on their face.

It's good food fast hot & cheap - AND THAI'S LOVE IT. sukk on that for a while. Here in Bangkok we are spolied for choice.

O yeah - lest I forget George Bush has done a great job. Many times better than his predecessor. That needs to be said loud & often.

Not a fan of G.B personally but from your avitar I can see why he may appeal to you, has anyone else noticed how similar your avitar's walk is to the way George Bush walks? :o

roy gsd

Bdenner,

Ubon TOPS closed around 2004. The problem lies with the numerous drunken, stoned, geriatric & immature farts on this site.

We talk of Ubon, not Udon

(as Bergen reminds us). Please tune your ear-trumpet ("No. this isn't your son, it's the embalmer"). And the last time I looked, Ban Dung was in Indonesia.

Feffejonsson,

HI

Often wondered where all the old toms in LOS ended up, seems old tom's end up in Ubon :o

roy gsd

Bergen,
there is a rather good veggie restaurant/store in Warinchamrab (next to Ubon). Details if anyone other than me & the local monks is interested.

There is a very large market in Warin town center, with roads on 4 sides. Circle the market till you see a big, ornate water tower. Face it, & just to the right, tucked away in a corner, hidden behind a tree, is the veggie buffet-eatery, with store attached. Strange for Warin, it has signs in English outside.

Recommended, the veggie sausages, spicey & not. Even a Viking cannibal might like them!

Is this the place run by the buddhist society from Ratchathani Asoke, who also have a large veggie restaurant (big open wooden building) in the Chinesese part of Ubon - near the privat Ubonrak Thonburi hospital?

Bergen,

Is this the place run by the buddhist society from Ratchathani Asoke, who also have a large veggie restaurant (big open wooden building) in the Chinesese part of Ubon - near the privat Ubonrak Thonburi hospital?

Don't know but could be - formats seem similar. I occasionally get in the nice cake/coffee bar part of the Ubon veggie place, but avoid the restaurant & shop. Last time I went there, they were not very polite. Mai pen rai; as said, the Warin place has notices in English, so apparently welcomes Foreign Devils.

For Western food in Ubon -

Wrong Way Restaurant (good bread, real toast & cholesterol breakfasts) - town center.

American Steak Restaurant (aka Grandpa's Place in Thai) - turn right just before civil airport entry gates, left, then follow sign on right.

Moon Noi Garden Restaurant (ask someone) - the last two fish 'n fries I had there were the best my old gnashers met in Ubon.

Laithong Hotel gets good reports, but they threw out Old git Tom for smoking his pipe, so no personal recco. Enjoy.

There's a chinese part of Ubon? I vomited all over the floor of Ubonrak hospital, I blame an errant laotian dim sum

Hi to all you lads and ladies

Live up on the Lao border by the Mekong. Not too much falung food up this way but hey, who gives a s**t. Not too many falungs either. I guess that is why the local supermarket does not cater for our every whim and need. When your falung customer base is only a tiny fraction of your business it does not make sense to supply these exotic (for locals) foods. A lot of these products can be home delivered at a very competive price by the food suppliers associated with this site. And no I have no connection with these people.

If you get really dsrperate jump on a bus to Bangkok or Pattaya and fill up your suitcase at the supermarket.

cheers

Mick

The bottom line is that stores sell what sells. If the farang food isn't popular it will soon be taken off the shelf. That's life and if the sugar filled food sell the best, that's what they will sell.

Funny world isn't it.In my home country people pay 15 to 20 times the price for what you can buy it here for a Tom Yam,Khow pad or any Thai dish.Because it is so healthy and exotic.When they come here they can't stop whining about the loss of there fat and cholesterol ridden western foods.

And then they expect their local store starts stocking his shelves for 0.005 % of his customers.

As a previous poster said if you in such a bad need of your sausages and cheese,which of course can not be just any brand but has to be the one they stocked in Yorkshire at the local grocery,then either go get it where it is available or move there. :o

Edited by basjke