No Plan To Revoke Thaksin's Passport Or Seek His Extradition

george

Wrecker is spot on, they don't want him back, putting him on trial and maybe prison would quite likely lead to huge civil unrest.

And lets be honest the shuffling around for the slice of his money that will be seized is of far more importance to all of them.

This is not a democracy, it is who can slide their way into power and look after number 1 and their mates, it has always been that way and maybe always will.

That isn't a blast at LOS, most Asain countries operate the same system.

Wrecker is spot on, they don't want him back, putting him on trial and maybe prison would quite likely lead to huge civil unrest.

And lets be honest the shuffling around for the slice of his money that will be seized is of far more importance to all of them.

This is not a democracy, it is who can slide their way into power and look after number 1 and their mates, it has always been that way and maybe always will. That isn't a blast at LOS, most Asain countries operate the same system.

There is no democracy! it's an illusion. if elections would change anything, they would be long forbidden. what we have in most so-called democracies is in fact a party dictatorship. without support by one of the major parties, no one has a chance. and behind most parties are the ruling elites, the managers, the profiteurs.....and NOT the people. presidents, chancellors, prime ministers change face, politics doesn't! election campaigns are show, entertainment. take just three examples: usa, uk, germany. since ww2 they've changed their governments regularly, so what? in usa they even elected a george bush for 20 (in words: twenty!) years as president ad/or vice president. i call this "democrazy". when the old greece invented it it was ment 'rule of and by the people', today it's degenerated to 'rule over the people'. this is not different in thailand nor anywhere in this world.......forget the propaganda, take off your pink glasses!

You need two things to have democracy: i) voting and ii) good governance, to contain abuse of power by the people that get elected. Thailand does not have a decent system of governance, that's why its democracy is struggling. In a true democracy getting elected does not give a politician carte blanche.

You need much more:

good media, which are independent

education

a framework of laws which make fraud/vote buying impossible

and sure much more.....

At least Thaksin just lost his say that the government isn't his pals...

Nothing changed and of course they do not want to have him back, Thaksin in jail would be a nightmare a recipe for a civil war. A deal has been reached months ago. He will leave, his money will be confiscated by the tax authorities, they take the back taxes and the fine and the remainder is returned to his son and daughter who owned the company on paper anyhow. It looks by the way that you do not have a clue of what is going on outside Bangkok. Thaksin or his stand in, as long as it is clear that he or she has Thaksin's support would win any election with two fingers in the nose.

Civil war??? The Thaksin supporters can't even bring 100 people to their demonstrations if they don't pay at least 200 Baht.

In Isaan they may love Thaksin but wouldn't fight for him. They also loved Chavalit and would love anyone other who hands out some money.

The bigger problem is that the Thaksin hater don't start a civil war.

Iraq had a democracy and he got 100% of the votes.

Now...could one argue that it wasn't a true democracy? Ofcourse!

And that is the argument regarding the whole election machine in Thailand. It's a charade for the people. A display of connections and wealth.

And yes, I'm indeed against democracy being some blanket solution to problems. It is not.

Cabinet pushes on with weekly meeting, contemplating revocation of ex-premier's diplomatic passport

The Cabinet is pushing on with its weekly meeting today, despite rampant activity by the People's Alliance for Democracy and their attempted seizure of the Government House.

The meeting today will focus on the transfer and adjustment of civil servants in various ministries, especially in the Interior Ministry which may see an adjustment to its permanent secretary.

Another main matter has been set by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that is the consideration of the revoking of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's red book diplomatic passport. The matter is currently up to the discretion of the Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 August 2008

I'm against so called "democracy" overriding most basic human values. That is - "democracy" is not above the law.

Be honnest :

" I'm against so called "democracy" overriding most basic "Plus" (yourself) values ."

Values that I consider most basic are shared by billions of people. Stealing, killing, lying, hypocrisy - that kind of thing. That's what people like Thaksin are hated for, not for "helping the poor". Democracy will never justify them, no matter how many votes you get, they will be wrong.

I know a few Thais since I have been here for a few years now, this is their take on this.

Some of them did not like Thaksin, some liked him, some wanted to kick him out, and some wanted him to stay. When the new election came they looked at the candidates and thought who would be the best PM, the PAD did not put up a good candidate and so they voted for Samak, even if they did not like him because of his relations with Thaksin.

I live in the South, there are many people down here that does not like Thaksin but they are educated enough to make their own opinions and vote by themselves. It is not fair to say Samak was voted for because he paid more, THEY ALL PAY FOR YOUR VOTE!

Democracy does not work in Thailand, maybe the PAD is right and they should make an executive formed government, with a PM not chosen by the people but by the military and the very very rich people. Then the rich can get richer and the poor can get poorer.

When the new election came they looked at the candidates and thought who would be the best PM, the PAD did not put up a good candidate and so they voted for Samak, even if they did not like him because of his relations with Thaksin.

Jeez, and EVERY political commentator in this country is 100% sure that Samak won the elections DUE to his assossiation with Thaksin, not despite it. They must all be wrong.

I hope you know more about cars than politics.