Toilet Tank Drop-in Disks Do Damage To Seals?

On my regular visits to the west (USA), I pick up a supply of white (clear) toilet tank drop-in disks which are supposed to sanitize* the tank and bowl. In Thailand, all I can find are the blue ones, and I just don't like seeing blue water in the toilet bowl.

A friend of mine commented that the bleach drop-ins (the white/clear ones) eat away at the rubber seals in the tank and will eventually lead to leaks. Is that true? And/or, are there other "risks" or damage done by using these drop-ins?

*quoting the packaging for "2000 Flushes" brand Automatic Bowl Cleaner:

• Cleans and deodorizes with the power of chlorine
  • Leaves bowl sanitary
  • Keeps water crystal clear
  • Bowl water will not harm children and pets
  • Not harmful to plumbing or septic systems

I guess I'm asking if those product claims are hype or true, especially the last one. I hadn't really considered the septic system, and now wonder if a bleach solution is a good thing to be draining into the septic system. (There is a slight bleach smell after flushing when there has been a siginificant time lapse since the previous flush.)

A friend of mine commented that the bleach drop-ins (the white/clear ones) eat away at the rubber seals in the tank and will eventually lead to leaks. Is that true? And/or, are there other "risks" or damage done by using these drop-ins?

your friend is right. virtually all drop-ins have corrosive ingredients. without them there'd be no cleansing function.

I hadn't really considered the septic system, and now wonder if a bleach solution is a good thing to be draining into the septic system. (There is a slight bleach smell after flushing when there has been a siginificant time lapse since the previous flush.)

it's a bad thing!

I hadn't really considered the septic system, and now wonder if a bleach solution is a good thing to be draining into the septic system. (There is a slight bleach smell after flushing when there has been a siginificant time lapse since the previous flush.)

it's a bad thing!

Yes bad thing, the bleach stops the natural bacterial breakdown in the septic tank, a corectly working (bacterial working) tank will go between 5 to 10 years before it needs emptying, if no natural bacterial action is taking place you will need to empty it in a matter of months!!

Hint: to restart the natural bacterial breakdown in your septic tank..chuck in a dead rabbit / chicken!!

Amazing that the marketing claims on the packaging are so misleading, especially in lawsuit-happy America.

What effect do conventional scrub-with-elbow-grease toilet bowl cleaners have on septic systems? I'm wondering how much worse the drop-ins are for damage to septic systems.

I wonder if I should suggest the dead rabbit/chicken trick to my condo maintenance guy? :o

it's a bad thing!

Yes bad thing, the bleach stops the natural bacterial breakdown in the septic tank, a corectly working (bacterial working) tank will go between 5 to 10 years before it needs emptying, if no natural bacterial action is taking place you will need to empty it in a matter of months!!

Hint: to restart the natural bacterial breakdown in your septic tank..chuck in a dead rabbit / chicken!!

Don't know how true it is, but I was told that 'natural Yoghurt' will get a septic tank kickstarted? it sounds feasable!

• 3 months later...

it's a bad thing!

Don't know how true it is, but I was told that 'natural Yoghurt' will get a septic tank kickstarted? it sounds feasable!

I don't know. But the UHT yoghurt you get from Tesco will have no bateria left alive. At least that's what UHT means.

What rubbish!!! Bleach type drop in disks have been sold in Europe/UK and the USA for years and I have yet to hear of rubber seals rotting away. I have used these products for many years without any problems with septic tanks etc. If this was true then there would have been multiple claims against the manufacturers and the product removed from sale. Yet more peoples opinions rather than fact!

Edited by Pdavies99

I used the blue ones in my condo toilet and never had any problems. Unfortunately about all they did was make the water blue. There was no noticeable cleaning action. I tried several different brands. My septic tank at the house works great and I would never take a chance of killing the tanks with chemicals.