Chiag Mai Or Rai - Short Holiday

Pitu277

Am planning a trip to the North and considering either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Night life/fun would be a major priority but do not necessarily like it loud and raunchy. Which would be a better destination and recommendations on the right spots would be much appreciated..Cheers

Probably Chiang Mai but don't dismiss Chiang Rai out of hand. Yes smaller and quieter but still worth a visit. You don't say how long the short visit is or what you might want to do during the day. You could, perhaps, fly into one travel over land to the other and fly back again.

Well there you have it I've all covered options :D .... I think :o

Am planning a trip to the North and considering either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. Night life/fun would be a major priority but do not necessarily like it loud and raunchy. Which would be a better destination and recommendations on the right spots would be much appreciated..Cheers

Chiang Mai has nightlife in every different form you could want, whereas in Chiang Rai it is virtually non-existent. Try and include it for a mini trip if you can though, for it's other qualities.

Chiang Mai has nightlife in every different form you could want, whereas in Chiang Rai it is virtually non-existent. Try and include it for a mini trip if you can though, for it's other qualities.

Tks for yr thoughts..wheich area would the better nightspots be and which hotel would you recommend that would be conveniently located..may do a Chiang Rai trip by land and appreciate any info on the hotels/nitelife there too..Tks

Probably Chiang Mai but don't dismiss Chiang Rai out of hand. Yes smaller and quieter but still worth a visit. You don't say how long the short visit is or what you might want to do during the day. You could, perhaps, fly into one travel over land to the other and fly back again.

Well there you have it I've all covered options :D .... I think :o

Tks, plan being there for about 3 nites..ideas on the right spots/hotels at both locations wud be welcome..Tks :-)

Tks for yr thoughts..wheich area would the better nightspots be and which hotel would you recommend that would be conveniently located..may do a Chiang Rai trip by land and appreciate any info on the hotels/nitelife there too..Tks

What kind of nightspot do you want? Do you want Tourist places or not tourist place? What music? Rock? Reggae? Do you want more pub places or bars or club places or what?

I did both of these places during my trip this past July '08. I flew Air Asia into Chiang Mai, took a bus to Chaing Rai and flew Air Asia back to Bangkok.

Chaing Mai has alot more activity, but Chiang Rai would be worth the trip if you have time. Two or three days is plenty for Chiang Rai, spend the rest of the time in Chiang Mai.

You don't say what your budget is, but in Chaing Mai I would recommend the Raming Lodge. There is a bar area very close by to the west and also toward the Night Market which is a 5 min walk to the east. Book the Raming Lodge at an agent website such as Asiarooms or Agoda to get a better deal than booking at the hotel's website.

Take a VIP bus to Chaing Rai, cost was about 295bt one-way, very comfortable 3.5 hour trip. In Chaing Rai I would recommend the Wangcome Hotel. It is very close to the limited nightlife, which is really only one small soi. Book the hotel through an agent website too for the best deal. No need to backtrack to Chiang Mai, just fly back to Bangkok from Chiang Rai.

Have fun.

Edited by Paul3456