Diabetes - Just Got My Sentence!

george

Hello George, sorry to hear about that.

Most of my Dad's family are diabetic and so is my best friend. When they were first diagnosed they all thought it was the end of the world and my cousin he was just 10 at the time and he was very ill, no one thought he was going to make it but he pulled through - he's a fighter and he continues to fight and now he's geting better. Just don't give up all hope and believe it's the end your life. Personally I believe it's the beginning. The start of something that will learn you to be a stronger person and educate you in many, many ways.

So try to think positive and whenever you start to think of any negative thoughts just remember my little cousin is fighting diabetes and getting better, so can you.

Get better soon :o

get some porridge and apricots

Bummer is, these are both foods very high in carbs.... Meats and vegetables, for the most part, are no problem for most diabetics, but each person can react differently to various foods.

The Atkins diet, focusing on lowering carbs, is quite popular with many diabetics in the west... It's extremely high in fats, though.

This may be my first post of many in this thread. I discovered that I had what is called Type II diabetes almost 5 years ago. Also known as adult onset diabetes among other names.

In this first post I mainly want to say beware of the Atkins diet. This was the first thing recommended to me by a friend 5 years back. Simply put, within days it came within a hairsbreadth of killing me and disrupted my life for years while I dealt with its effects. All of my organs knotted up and heart attack hormones shot through the roof. The only reason I did not have a major heart attack (accoirding to the docs who put me through many tests) was that I had completely clean arteries and the heart of someone at least 30 years younger.

Whereas before the few days of that diet I had no numbness in extremities I immediately developed this severly and still have some. Also I immediately developed all of the symptoms of Alzheimer's and could hardly think a clear thought for weeks. It took 2 months of serious ayurvedic herbal purification before I could again even drive a car. Five years later I am still dealing with the residual effects of 3 or 4 days of this diet.

I recently had a chance to converse with an MD who has some awareness of natural healing methods and diets. She said absolutely no one with diabetes should use the Atkins diet (something to do with the sudden drop in bs levels and the complete change to a different type of metabolic functioning, as I recall).

The Atkins diet may be alright for some people, maybe even those with early stages of diabetes, however based on my personal experience of instant reaction to this diet and on hearing reports of heart attack deaths from this diet from doctors I know and trust I do not recommend that anyone try this diet, especially not diabetics. Anyway, of all the people I know who have done this diet I only know of one (my uncle) who kept the weight off. And my uncle's doctor actually gave him a much adjusted and modified verion and monitored the progress, so maybe it was not really the Atkins diet.

Anyway my main point for anyone dealing with diabetes is don't go for instant extreme changes. Do make serious changes and get off the sugar and junk carb addiction (not easy for some of us), and increase your intake of healthy, complex carbs (veggies, low sugar fruits, and whole grains) and light protiens. And lose weight (but gradually and keep it off)!!! Also, increase your aerobic exercise as best you can.

Now that I have finally gotten rid of the worst affects of my near-death diet and have some better functioning brain cells I plan to give proper focus to the high blood sugar issue. As mentioned, the internet now has far more good and accurate info on this issue as every month passes. The www.lef.org that Pepe suggested seems to have some of the best that I have seen in a while. Specifically http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-042.shtml . I have only glanced at it so far but plan to look deeply at this in the coming days.

In the 5 years of dealing with this I have not yet taken any western medication of any sort. I have held off the worst of the affects with diet, exercise and ayurvedic medicines (and I have had blood sugar readings of over 500 so we are not talking a borderline case here). For many reasons (work, the affects of the dietary poisoning and probably my own lazy nature when it comes to doing things for myself) I have not yet fully dealt with this, but plan to do so now and will report any interesting findings.

We are all different and different things work for different people. One friend with good willpower found she was seriously diabetic 10 years ago. She decided right away that she would quit smoking and make all the necessay changes to her diet and life style. That was all it took for her. She lost 100 pounds within some number of months and has not been heavy or diabetic since then. She took no medications or even any herbs. The only other thing she did was to start practicing meditation, I guess to reduce the stress that was contributing to her overeating and smoking.

Since I am somewhat attached to enjoying food and have been addicted to sugar since infancy and have the willpower equivalent at times to that of a sponge, I need at least some herbal help.

I know that western medicine can sometimes be life saving in the absence of any better alternative. And I hope I do not offend anyone with my own perspective, but as noted already you need to be careful with prescribed medications as they are sometimes mis-prescribed and, of course, can have lots of negative side effects. If western medicine is what works for you at this time than far be it for me to rock your boat. I'll leave it at that for now as this is already longer and more rambling than I originally intended. Sorry this first post went on so long.

Enjoy your day. Good luck to all of us with this modern affliction.

Seeker

Edited by seeker108

George, depends how you are viewing it i guess, at least youve identified the cause of your problems from the last 2 years. I hear there is now cutting edge technology to measure and control diabetes. Apparently, instead of the typical blood glucose measurement method you will soon be able to measure by simply looking into a device that can read the measurement as the eye and blood analysis are directly related. Not sure when it will hit the market, hopefully soon and should make things much simpler for some one with a condition like yours. I wish you well........

Ps. can you obtain your meds easily in thailand? Or will you have to be diagnosed there? Im not sure if you live there or holiday........

• 5 months later...

Just today saw this site on Diabetes. If it is any consulation George, I have had Type 2 diabetes for over 30 years (Not a misprint!).

First off, don't listen to doctor's. If you want to live a long life - EXERCISE - IS THE ONLY way to control diabetes. Do I exercise? Not as much as I should. I exercise in 'spurts' - maybe every year or two I'll go 'hog wild' and walk every day for about a 6 month period. Do not worry about weight gain. I have 'see-sawed' through weight the whole 30 years.

Diet - I eat whatever I want and when I want. I gave up on trying eat the foods that are recommended for Diabetics. You end up changing your whole life style for - What? The only thing that works is EXERCISE. If you are better than me at EXERCISE, then you can actually eliminate Type 2 Diabetes - BUT - you have to commit yourself to EXERCISE EVERY DAY - at least 90 minutes per day.

Now then - NOT EVERYONE is the same. In my case, I have done evrything 'opposite' of what I have been told for 30 years. And I am still alive today! I have taken 2 - 500 mg Glucophage every day for 30 years and just recently started taking 2 mg of Amryl. In my UNEDUCATED opinion, pills don't work! Just maybe they have kept me alive this long - But I doubt it!

EXERCISE - EXERCISE - Take it from someone who knows! I have seen improvements in my blood cholesterol count by excercise - and have seen NO improvement as a result of taking PILLS. That is a fact.

Good luck.

Something I should have added in the previous reply.

For over 20 years I have taken, on a daily basis the following: 800 IU Vit E, 1000 IU Vit C, and 1 - Centrum Multi-Vit. Is this what is keeping me alive? 'Heck' if I no! I do know that I gave up a long, long time ago with trying to control my weight. And I sure do not exercise as often as I should.

I guess my whole point is - DON'T WORRY ABOUT DIABETES. Take the Diabetic Pills and Vitamins and LIVE your life the way YOU WANT to live it.

For 30 years 'Doctor's' have told me to get my weight down to the 'TABLE' recommendations - New York Life, etc. etc. NOW - just last week - a column in the USA Today newspaper - stated that those TABLES are 'CRAP'. As an example: In my case I am supposed to weight 142 lbs. hel_l I did'nt weight that much when I was in the USAF (always HIGHER). I figured out a long time ago that an ideal weight for me would be 172 lbs. So, forget 'weight' tables - whatever you feel is a healthy weight - go for it.

While I would agree that exercise is almost always a good idea I do not get the point when you say the diabetes medications don't reduce your cholesterol levels? They are designed to reduce/control your sugar levels and they surly do that. I expect you would see improvement in lipids if you used something like simvastatin however.

A study was just released printed in NEW SCIENTIST saying that a strict diet and exercise regime halted diabates II. No sugar and exercise of 45min everyday for 2 weeks.

For 2 weeks? What happens after 2 weeks? Or is that NA?

While I would agree that exercise is almost always a good idea I do not get the point when you say the diabetes medications don't reduce your cholesterol levels? They are designed to reduce/control your sugar levels and they surly do that. I expect you would see improvement in lipids if you used something like simvastatin however.

Sorry to have to disagree with you. Diabetic medications do no more than stabilize cholesterol levels - They DO NOT improve or reduce the levels! In addition, the LONGER you are a Diabetic the more medication you will have to take. Doctor's, at least 25 - 30 years ago, never told me that EXERCISE was the key. All they ever told me was take the medication and watch your diet!!! In later years, I learned through research that the GP doctor's do no 'beans' about diabetes! DIET never helped people that are overweight and it sure does not help diabetics. You may totally disagree with this but I have tried everything and found that there is ONLY one thing that works for overweight people (like me) and Diabetics (Like me) - EXERCISE - EXERCISE.

You can prove it yourself. Keep accurate, daily records of your exercise and medications, and yoyr blood glucose levels every hour for 2 weeks and see what the results are! I did this - one week NO medications and 1 week with medication. In both instances I average 45 minutes per day on the treadmill. Results - treadmill ALONE reduced my glucose levels - NOT medication.

Medication is great for people that DO NOT exercise - Like me - I am lazy and it is very difficult trying to keep a constant routine of exercise. And, yes I am well aware of the benefits of EXERCISE.

I am a firm believer that the drug companies and doctor's are in 'bed' with each other when it comes to perscribing medication for Diabetes - WE are there 'g.... (sp) pigs'. I have researched Diabetes for over 30 years and have come to the conclusion, along with many 'knowledgeable' researches in the field, that EXERCISE is the ONLY thing that will REDUCE blood glucose levels.

The key to REDUCING blood glucose levels and MAINTAINING the level is EXERCISE - NO amount of medication is going to REDUCE or MAINTAIN blood glucose levels.

Now - Before every body else starts to suggest that I do not know what I am talking about - DO THE TEST I suggested above - 2 week with medication and EXERCISE (and daily records) AND 2 - week without medication BUT EXERCISE alone. EXERCISE must be for a minimum of 45 minutes daily (walking ONLY at 3.0 - 3.2 KPM per hour). After that - YOU can ALL tell me I do not no what I am talking about. Why 2 weeeks? A much better indicator of results.

All you diabetics out there might be surprised about the results of the test I suggested. EAT what you want! BUT do the EXERCISE. After a year you just might be able to 'DUMP' all the medications you are taking - TYPE 2 Diabetics only!!!

Good luck.

P.S. I am still taking medication BECAUSE, as I stated, I am lazy EVEN THOUGH I KNOW the benefits of EXERCISE.

Edited by chiangrai57020

diabetes medications don't reduce your cholesterol levels?

The cholesterol quote was my main concern.

As for drugs I do believe they work to reduce and control blood sugar but they do not reverse the process inside your body and that over time may require more or different drugs or insulin to keep it in check. I am sure your exercise idea is good and probably works well with you. But to say diet never works for anyone I believe is a little extreme. If you load up with sugar you are going to be loaded with sugar. Exercise will surly help to eliminate it but all things being equal not in taking the sugar (or things that are converted into sugar) in the first place would surly be high on my priority list.

I am another one who found out 4 years ago. I believe I had the problem before that?

A year ago I discovered the Indian vegetable Kerala. It is a popular vegetable amongst Indians although the usually cook it with onions or stuff it. I eat it raw. They have used it to control diabetes for years.

I have also developed my palate. I used to love 'Real Ale' but most time now it tastes to me like syrup. Guinness is fine in moderation but occasionally I am not moderate.

Improving the circulation is the key and EXERCISE does this. Red wine in moderation seems to be good for just about everything. Any wine the dryer the better.

Baked potato some people believe is not as good as chips as it goes into the blood-stream quicker.

I have heard varying views on rice and pasta.

Exercise AND Diet is important.

I would like to know why so many suffer from diabetes now. Someting is wrong somewhere.

Stress does not help and we live in a stressful World.

Drink lots of water even if one is not thirsty. It cleans out the system.

Let your body do the talking ? Have you ever noticed that after a dose of diarrhoea you crave certain foods ? That is because your body is asking for what it needs. This is not the same as craving for chocolate or beer !

Reduce, salt,fat and sugar.

Drink depends on the type. Some alcohol actually reduces your blood sugar levels and then you have to be careful of Hypo-glycaema.

No individual is the same but the only common suggestion I would give is reduce, salt,fat and sugar.

And take as much exercise as possible.

I have been watching a TV programme where the chef David Chew cooks in Malaysia.

He ADDS sugar to many meals. Do the THAIS do the same ??

Request "mai nahm thang" with meals - "bpen bow wahn" - that should make them understand.

Asians like Afro-Carribeans and Latinos have a greater tendency towards diabetes.

I am looking forward to more of your comments ?

Cheers

Perhaps a caution should be provided here as exercise can be too fast a lowering, and almost was for my wife, if a close check of blood sugar levels is not maintained. It is much more dangerous to go into a low sugar coma than to have high levels for the short term. If you start exercise do it slow and if you do not know the symptoms of low sugar (and know enough to stop) be very careful and monitor it closely. My wife came very close to death from an ill advised exercise program.

diabetes medications don't reduce your cholesterol levels?

The cholesterol quote was my main concern.

As for drugs I do believe they work to reduce and control blood sugar but they do not reverse the process inside your body and that over time may require more or different drugs or insulin to keep it in check. I am sure your exercise idea is good and probably works well with you. But to say diet never works for anyone I believe is a little extreme. If you load up with sugar you are going to be loaded with sugar. Exercise will surly help to eliminate it but all things being equal not in taking the sugar (or things that are converted into sugar) in the first place would surly be high on my priority list.

As I stated many times - I have had diabetes for 30 years +. In those 30 years I have tested my glucose level too many times to count! What I did determine is that Medication - Again - DOES NOT REDUCE cholesterol levels - What you eat or do not eat on any given day is what determines the cholesterol level. Medication ONLY releases 'Insulin'. That is the only purpose of Medication - release insulin. Research and you shall seek! Just trying to be funny - don't take it to heart - OK!

WE diabetics have been lied to our whole lives. (BY the way - Just added another peace 'up front'). Having spent many hours, days and months 'Testing' (All kinds of tests) I have come to the one conclusion I have tried to 'stress' - EXERCISE.

Yes - you are correct and it should go without having to be said - Check and ReCheck blood glucose levels during and after exercise.

It should also be obvious that eating a 'ton' of packaged foods will KILL you. If you take in 5000 calories and exercise for 1 hour you will only loose approx 500 of those calories! It only takes 1,600 - 2,000 calories to maintain an ideal body weight. THE REST IS FAT.

Edited by chiangrai57020

Medication ONLY releases 'Insulin'. That is the only purpose of Medication - release insulin.

But that is what controls the sugar so you want to say what the medications do rather than the effects they produce? I understand but it still boils down to control of sugar even if it is not the direct insulin injection form.

The problem with "check and recheck blood glucose levels" statement is this is Thailand and very few hospitals even suggest private monitoring for non insulin dependents. Just finding test equipment and strips is a major headache even here in Bangkok (I bought in Chiang Mai). So most people will be flying blind with the exercise program - and I don't want that to be a death spiral.

I am a non-insulin dependent Diabetic.

I have given up most of the things that I used to enjoy (food and drink wise) but I find it hard to do any form of excercise as I suffer from a back complaint that is aggrivated by even minimal excercise.

I suppose the only answer is to walk miles,

I cannot seem to give up smoking though, its all I have left!!

Any advice?

Cheers

TP

Medication ONLY releases 'Insulin'. That is the only purpose of Medication - release insulin.

But that is what controls the sugar so you want to say what the medications do rather than the effects they produce? I understand but it still boils down to control of sugar even if it is not the direct insulin injection form.

The problem with "check and recheck blood glucose levels" statement is this is Thailand and very few hospitals even suggest private monitoring for non insulin dependents. Just finding test equipment and strips is a major headache even here in Bangkok (I bought in Chiang Mai). So most people will be flying blind with the exercise program - and I don't want that to be a death spiral.

I purchase everything I need by e-mail to Roche Diagnostics in Bangkok. They give me a price list and I order what I need and bank transfer the money. Next day or two I get my supplies. Real easy.

Well most Thai would not have a clue about mail order and my experience today was:

Major hospital: Pharmacy does not stock J&J Lifescan ultra strips.

Major shopping center (Watsons Drugs) does not stock - do have Accucheck however.

Major shopping center large Thai drug store sells J&J LifeScan Ultra with two packages on display. But say you have to buy package to get test strips. :o Wife gives them a sarcastic reply and another girl says they are available but they just don't know how much they cost - leave a deposit and they will order them.

As I say - blood testing outside a hospital is not at all common here.

Porridge ! - and I am not talking Ronnie Barker.

I didn't like the stuff at first but now I have got used to it.

It has a slow GI release and is the best thing for breakfast.

Apparently Blueberries are also good but I do not know the reason.

Walking, swimming and cycling. You don't have to go to the gym.

Keep those posts coming I am finding it all very useful !

Edited by Hermano Lobo

For over 2 years I have felt that something was wrong in my body. Tired, bad tempered, repeated infections, loss of apetite, but got fat. I am in the mid 40's.

This week I got my sentence. Diabetes Type 2. And I know how I got it:

UNHEALTHY LIFE STYLE.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has got Diabetes, and how you coop with it in Thailand.

Sorry to hear about that, and don’t want to make this sound promotional or trolling but unfortunately that is how it will sound. I was a type 2 diabetic on 72 units of insulin daily and now I take nothing at all. I still eat and drink whatever I want. Simply all I did was take charge of my life style. I lost about 100 pounds and got more active. Admittedly I put a few pounds back on in the past few months but now taking it off again. It was a simple adjustment in my daily routine that put the weight back on. Now I have adjusted and adapted. I deal with the thought of going back in the needle and weigh the positive and the negatives with self hypnosis suggestions. When I do that I don’t feel deprived or restricted. In fact I feel just the opposite. I wont say that everyone will have the same results as me but it certainly is a possibility. So essentially type 2 diabetes is a elective condition for many. I have helped many with type 2 overcoming the feeling of being restricted or on a sentence. When they feel like that they simply make the right choices and their body changes accordingly. However type 1 is another story. So what you call a sentence is just an option. Perhaps you should think of the other option and how to find it.