Corned Beef Sandwhich

Which bread is the best to use, either traditionally or taste-wise, for a corned beef sandwich?

What other stuff is usually (traditionally?) put inside the bread aside from the corned beef itself? :o

david, rye bread is best. For the rest please google reuben recipe :0

Arr the old corned beef sarniee..what a thread..

This has got me missing home reading this thread as a corned beef is what i miss about home as you just cant get the ingreidents here...

Back home i would go with a thick crust warburtons bread with 2 rounds of red and 2 rounds of daddies brown sauce, couple of packets of prawn cocktail crisps and a nice mug of tead just to round it off....hmm

Arr the old corned beef sarniee..what a thread..

This has got me missing home reading this thread as a corned beef is what i miss about home as you just cant get the ingreidents here...

Correct, you can't get the ingredients here, but here is what I bring back from the U.S. with me, and the recipe I use (plus my own special touches):

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/meatcur...enderquick.html (the essential ingredient, IMO)

"Deli Style Corned Beef More recipes with Morton® Tender Quick® Product

More recipes with Morton® Sugar Cure® Product (Plain and Smoke Flavored)

Prep Time: 5 Days

Servings: 4-6 pounds

Ingredients

One beef brisket, 4-6 lbs

5 tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon ground paprika

1 teaspoon ground bay leaves

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder Directions

Trim surface of fat from brisket. In a small bowl, mix Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (plain) mix, remaining ingredients and spices. Rub mixture into all sides of brisket. Place brisket in "food grade" plastic bag and tie end securely. Refrigerate and allow to cure 5 days per inch of meat thickness.

Place brisket in Dutch oven. Add water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer until tender, about 3-4 hours." http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=43

I know there are company's that will mail order the Morton Products.

I've used the dry rub/cure method, but with Thai beef, I think a brine cure works the best, use a little more Tender Quick.

Actually, it's very simple to make a good corned beef.

Edited by maxjay

Here is company that will ship the Morton Tender Quick, plus many other products related to curing meats:

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_52

FYI:

Morton® Tender Quick® This mix is a fast cure product that has been developed as a cure for meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad, and sablefish. It is a combination of high grade salt and other quality curing ingredients that can be used for both dry and sweet pickle curing. Morton® Tender Quick® mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton® Tender Quick® mix can be used interchangeably with Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix. It is NOT a meat tenderizer.

CAUTION: This curing salt is designed to be used at the rate specified in the formulation or recipe. It should not be used at higher levels as results will be inconsistent, cured meats will be too salty, and the finished products may be unsatisfactory. Curing salts should be used only in meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad and sablefish. Curing salts cannot be substituted for regular salt in other food recipes. Always keep meat refrigerated (36° to 40°F) while curing.

Perhaps, one could make their own tender quick?

Edited by maxjay