What Are The Most Wonderful And Horrible Things About Thailand..

BrooklynKid

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most wonderful thing about Thailand.....it has to be the Beaches and Islands. They are so beautiful. I have been from Byron Bay Australia (is that how you spell byron bay?) to Utila Honduras and back. But Thailand has I think in my opinion has the most beautiful I have seen.

Now the most horrible thing for me has to be The Traffic and Drivers.wow.

For me the most wonderful thing about Thailand is the fact that the local Thais can endure the constant whining and griping from some foreign expats. The most horrible thing about the country is hearing Farangs moan about Thais who have the audacity to be unable to speak English in their own country - the Land of Smiles. :)

I'll add unreliable internet to the bad list and this is pretty much spot on.

I'll agree with that... at least in Chiang Mai it's bad. So called high speed internet in Chiang Mai is about the same speed as dial up in Canada and only 1/10th as reliable. It shuts off for no good reason at any time of day or night. I found some reliable high speed internet in Jomptien, but they wanted 200 baht an hour. I'll put up with the slow net for 10 to 15 baht/hour.

When I mentioned the relatively friendly people in bars and restaurants I didn't mean that other places were not friendly. I've never been treated so well as by the poorer folk in Thailand. Every time I've had a problem with a motorbike there was always someone willing to help for free. Or, at such a ridiculous low charge I felt embarrassed to pay so little.

Maybe it's because I don't judge people by how little they might have and I smile at everyone, that I get treated so well.

Umm no, you get treated so well 'cos I've no doubt you didn't pay the "ridiculous low charge" and paid extra - well above the going rate.

Smiling helps, but money comes first!

best of Thailand is the moderate climate. always cloudy and cool. but not too cold that one needs to buy heating oil.

second best is the infrastructure. electricity supply without blackouts, reliable superfast internet connections with 60mbit speed, roads without any potholes, disciplined and polite drivers, at any government office you can have a small talk in english, french, spanish, german and sign language, residence permit issued at entry showing a thousand dollars cash and of course a stable political environment.

:):D :D

.....a bit late but I just found it....thanks for the good laugh.

LaoPo

For me the most wonderful thing about Thailand is the fact that the local Thais can endure the constant whining and griping from some foreign expats. The most horrible thing about the country is hearing Farangs moan about Thais who have the audacity to be unable to speak English in their own country - the Land of Smiles. :)

And of course Thai's never moan,whinge or complain. Take a trip to your local Amphur, you will see plenty of temper tantrums because they have'nt got their way.

I like:

The weather, can't stand beig cold.

The fact that people can be themselves and not ridiculed for being different.

Lifestyle

Inexpensive cost of living no matter the exchange rate.

The Thai smiles.

The Thai people

I do not like

Foreigners that dress badly & act rudely or agressively, it's a sad portrayal of the rest of us.

The most wonderful thing about Thailand.....it has to be the Beaches and Islands. They are so beautiful. I have been from Byron Bay Australia (is that how you spell byron bay?) to Utila Honduras and back. But Thailand has I think in my opinion has the most beautiful I have seen.

Now the most horrible thing for me has to be The Traffic and Drivers.wow.

Might i ask how long you have lived here, if indeed you do?

There are many wonderful things about Thailand as posters have already mentioned.

However I believe by far the most horrible thing about Thailand is witnessing lovely young girls going to Pattaya, Phuket or elsewhere to gain economic security for themselves and/or their family by selling out their young lives to foreign men 2-3 times their age whom they do not even know, can scarcely communicate with, and have no idea what may be in store for them. An absolutely tragic crap-shoot. Imagine your own daughter being in this scenario. Sooo many skeletons along side that road... It's so very sad.... but it happens every day in the LOS.

Edited by Lopburi99

Being from a colder climate the heat and humidity have to be worst as that is a constant. Everything else can be regulated in respect of coming into contact with.

The best? The way of life here. So slow and laid back in many ways. None of that mad rush back home and dog eat dog.

I have to agree the madness is slow and the natives eat the dogs so few dogs for the others to eat

As I watch ants devour a dead insect on a dead leaf its the general air of corruption from the seedy expats time share touts and small time conmen that makes the land of smirks so enchanting

I planning t take a group of Thais to visit the hill tribes of Highgate and Hampstead next year any cultural tips

Of course its better here and to the poster who said yu cannot regulate the hunidity there is a system its called Air Con regulate the cops its called government regulate the airport ask the Mafia or is it the govt or are these unelected foreigners the same thing?

There are many wonderful things about Thailand as posters have already mentioned.

However I believe by far the most horrible thing about Thailand is witnessing lovely young girls going to Pattaya, Phuket or elsewhere to gain economic security for themselves and/or their family by selling out their young lives to foreign men 2-3 times their age whom they do not even know, can scarcely communicate with, and have no idea what may be in store for them. An absolutely tragic crap-shoot. Imagine your own daughter being in this scenario. Sooo many skeletons along side that road... It's so very sad.... but it happens every day in the LOS.

Very true... :)

ABBA: Money - Money - Money :

It's a continuing circle...if the parents of those girls would have money...would be well to do...rich, those girls wouldn't be selling their bodies.

LaoPo