Current Rice Price Where You Are

Just back from the farm and the father in Law is telling me that wet rice is being bought for about 9,000 baht which is a far cry from the figures that are being banded about on the television..

Is this figure the same everywhere?

I would appreciate some feedback from country wide...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from the farm and the father in Law is telling me that wet rice is being bought for about 9,000 baht which is a far cry from the figures that are being banded about on the television..

Currently Bt14/kilo in Sisaket

• 4 weeks later...

Wife informed me that sticky rice price in Fang area is being quoted at 4+ baht a kilo. I mentioned that last week the govt extended the time frame on their price of 11 baht and she said that did not apply as monies were not forthcoming to purchase from the farmers. Anyone else had any recent experience on selling ?

My wife bought 8 tons of sticky rice from lokal farmers last november for 8 bath pr.kilo. She expectet to sell the rice again with profit some time in 2008. In april the price was 12,5 bath pr. kilo but she didnt want to sell. No she called a factorie 4 weeks ago and they say the price on sticky rice is 6 bath pr. kilo. So no we are stuck with this rice. Cannot sell no and loose 2 bath pr. kilo.

We already harvest about 2,5 ton of our ricefields this year. This is normal rice (home mali). The factorie say we should wait to 16. october before we sell. Then the goverment start to buy rice again and the price will be 14-16 bath pr.kilo.

Just got back from my boarder run to Mukdahan.

Price quoted on poster outside a Mill near Muckdahan 13.25 baht for Mali rice 7.75 for sticky.

Closer to home in Roi Et poster quoted for Mali 14.50 Baht.

I don't understand the quote wet rice price?? As i thought it's the moisture content in percentage term's that's removed from all weighed rice.

ie 2000 kilo less 10% moisture = 1800 kilo of rice or have i got it wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Bangkok post past couple of days (different articles) seem to suggest the monies may not be forthcoming for pledgeing plan for rice thus the price will continue downward. Post not the most reliable but it does appear that various government entites are not supporting each other (finance vs ag, bank vs farmers). What else is new? Sticky rice price from upcoming harvest may be a complete bust. Guess we can make sake out of it or pig food.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

As this post was started when very little rice was available for harvest i thought it a good idea to restart it for members to add there sale's experiance of this years harvest out & about in Thailand.

To make sense you will need to quote the rice type for comparison ie sticky,mali etc there are so many i know.

It will be interesting to here how drying the rice before going to mill actulaly save's us money, being in mind if you have many ton's were do you do this, many farmer's in issarn spread it out outside their home's for a few day's in the sun make's the chicken's very happy, i also have heard of large drying machine's not that i,ve seen any in issarn.

How many ton's you get per rai harvested (yeild)would be another good figure to look at including what your mosture content was at the mill.

How did you harvest totally by hand or hand cut & machine thresher or did you use a combine.

There are many other point's that can be added to this & i hope we can at least by sharing this years experance have a better understanding of rice farming in Thailand.

I mean do you really think i will get the 14.5 baht per kilo my local mill as posted up for the last few month's no not a chance its just there to wet the appitite until you turn up & it's droped to 10 baht with the excuse its the goverment.

Have a good harvest Shaun

We just finished harvesting about 2,5 tonn off normal white rice ore hom mail, i'm not shure. Det lokal merchant buy for 1300 bath pr 120 kg. That's about 10,84 bath pr. kilo. We transportet the rice ourselves til the nearest ricemill (50km) and got 1560 bath pr 120 kilo. That's 13 bath per kilo. No the price go down to 1500 pr 120 kg. The rice had to have under 25% moister (spelling?) so we put it out on the cement in the sun for about 4-5 hour and it showed about 22% when we came to the ricemill. We still have about 15 rai to harvest and we start tomorrow.

I was hoping for the goverment buying program, but i looks like they cannot agree on the price and they still not started to buy. I'm shure they delay the buyng until all the poor farmers already sold their rice cheap to the lokal merchant.

We also harvested 2,5 tonn of sticky rice but the prise they offer is 600 bath pr 120 kg. Thats only 5 bath pr kilo.

473Geo,

This will vary depending on a number of factors..

But I guess you could work on between 800 kilos to 1000 kilos per rai using Thai methods which is to throw the rice seed.

Their is a lot of information that states you can greatly increase thses yields by planting rice as seedlings and this will increase yeild by as much as double..

The earth and chemicals used will also have some impact..

hope this helps

473Geo,

But I guess you could work on between 800 kilos to 1000 kilos per rai using Thai methods which is to throw the rice seed.

Their is a lot of information that states you can greatly increase thses yields by planting rice as seedlings and this will increase yeild by as much as double..

hope this helps

Thank you very much - I was just trying to do the sums on the costs of ploughing,fertiliser, and reaping but if the revenue is conservatively about 5K a rai then the numbers are ok.

The Wet and dry rice price.....is that why the rice barns are used because the selling price is higher for the dry rice?

You have given me peace of mind

Thanks again

473Geo,

hope this helps

Just another question on the earth and chemicals please

I am familiar with the over use of nitrogen based fertilisers and the requirement to compensate with less aggressive chemicals and slow release pottasium products......is there an easy method available in Thailand to test and monitor the soil? How do you control the welfare of the soil?

Thanks in advance

Guys, please tell me how to get that sort of yield???

I have weighted rice harvests here twice. The net yields were 400 and 500 kilo per rai. There were seasonal and fertiliser differences between both years. I personally have not seen above 550 Kg yields in my part of Isaan and that was achieved with hand sewn seedlings.

I cannot tell you what the moisture content was as I didnt have a gauge or a microwave handy at the time. However I can tell you that the rice was hand cut and then stacked for several weeks prior to machine threshing so it would have dried to some degree, but surely not enough to make up the difference to 800 or 1000 wet.

Another reason it is dried in the stack of sheaves is so it can be stored in bags in the rice barn and still be viable to plant next years crop (six months) and to good to eat for the family (12 months).

Most people in our area sell to local rice traders as there is no large mill in the immediate area. Local supplies are milled within the village. They are therefore selling paddy rice at the base price. I know of people who have sun dried rice and then have received less than they thought when the moisture content was challenged at the mill so take care you know exactly what the content is and can prove it, else, take the easy way and sell paddy. There appears to be little added return for a lot of work and considerable losses in the process.

For interest I have in the past milled our rice and brought it back to Bangkok, bagged it in 5Kg lots and sold it across the front gate at home. We sold Hom Mali 105 for 20 Baht a kg when it was 25 Baht in Big C and we would have received 8 baht for it as paddy locally. So if you are living in Bangkok and own a pickup, then this may be something you want to consider giving a fly. Normally you get get it milled in the village at an icecream container full of rice per bag cost, miller keeps the bran and hulls. You can plan on about 40% of the original weight in milled rice.

This year its a combine for me. Current estimate 600 baht per rai plus bag costs if you dont have any.

Isaanaussie

Edited by IsaanAussie

hi,

ive also been looking at the yields for a couple of years in and around the village. this year peole are getting around 250kg per rai. yesterday someone took sticky rice to the buyer (in town) they got just over 6 baht a kg. forgot to say this was hand cut, hand planted and machine threshed the day before/cut day before.

over the years most people i see only average 200 - 300kg per rai. all of this is hand planted, vits added but to what extent i do not know.

Are these numbers for a harvest per year or for multiple harvests per year?

Karsten,

Yield per crop. Crop numbers dependant on water availability. Either wet rice in irrigated areas which in Suphanburi is 3 to 4 crops pre year, or rain fed rice as in Sisaket which yields a single crop. There are exceptions in Isaan where water can be pumped to yield a second crop.

Isaanaussie

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished harvest of 15 rai, sticky rice, sold 14,000 kilo for 4.25 baht/kilo net, delivered to mill. Rice was cut, sun dried for 3 days and then thrashed, cost 600 baht/rai. This was rainey season and irrigation water available when needed to supplement rain fall. This was in Fang area with the mill at Mai Ai. transport cost field to mill .25 baht/kilo. Cleared rice ground, will plant to beans within next week or so. Still have about 3 rai rice to cut for family to eat??? This may give some of the members who asked a idea of yield, harvesting cost seems pertty consistent. Fertilizer used was 15-15-15 10 sacks. Rice seedlings were planted by hand.

Please, just to assist my knowledge, can anybody tell me the approximate average yield in kgs for one rai......doesn't require a full on scientific answer.....just a rough idea

Thank you

We bagged 3.6 rai today. 32 bags at 40 kg per bag. Region--Si Saket. Planted by hand spread ("wan cow"). No irrigation. Crop was probably 15% down due to uncooperative weather.

Buying agent in Si Saket is offering 12.5 Bt. per Kilo.

Additionally: A friend nearby bagged 2.5 Rai last week. Achieved 42 bags @ 41 Kg ea. At 688Kg per Rai which is double our yield. His crop was seedling transplant ("dum nar"). Whilst I would have expected a 50% improvement with his planting method --- I am really impressed with his 100% increase!

Due to weather his rice was sold wet @ 9Bt. per kilo.

Just talked to my gf in Surin and she's getting 700-900 Kg/rai and if they take it to the local mill right away (after a couple of days drying) they are getting 14 baht/kg. This is Homali 105 rice planted by hand with 1 bag of 15-15-15 per 3 rai plus dried bua (cow) crap. Apparently there are 2 kinds of homali rice in that area, the 105 grown for 4 months and another lower quality one called "go ko 15" which grows for 3 months. She has built a rice house to store hers hoping that the price will go up but ordinary farmers have to sell it right away and the lineups at the mills are huge.

my brother in law just sold newly harvested (a few hundred kilos) ho mali in Buri Ram (Prakon Chai) for 10.50 a kilo a few days ago.

Additionally: A friend nearby bagged 2.5 Rai last week. Achieved 42 bags @ 41 Kg ea. At 688Kg per Rai which is double our yield. His crop was seedling transplant ("dum nar"). Whilst I would have expected a 50% improvement with his planting method --- I am really impressed with his 100% increase!

Due to weather his rice was sold wet @ 9Bt. per kilo.

In Prakon Chai Buri Ram Hom Mali went for 10.50 a kilo a week ago now at another mill they are paying 13.40 today. This way above what it should be and would be surprised if the price can stay there but the Ag bank came to the families village and said they were looking at paying 15 baht and you would have to store the rice for them???? I really didn't get the entire story straight becasuw of the phone conversation but this is above the 14 pricwe they were talking about before. I told the wife to sell all she could as the price is going to probably go way down and she said they weren't buying yet so it appears to be typical yap so far.

Whatever price they are paying,

If they want you to store it for them, make sure they pay first.

During the Garlic crisis a several months back, the government (I think) agreed to buy at the price the protesters were demanding.

But they never paid & never collected.

The farmers are now selling it for anything they can get, as its spoiling.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

The wife was offered 9,500 baht a tonne for jasmine rice, horm mali, 2 days ago in Bandung, Udon at the local rice trader's. The nearest big mill likely to be involved in the government subsidy scheme of 15,000 baht a tonne is at Udon, 80 kilometres away.

After the fertilizer shot up to over 1,000 baht a bag with the oil price, and the recent storms which flattened the rice making it harder and hence longer and more expensive to cut, it hardly seems worth it.