Current Rice Price Where You Are

We (I) bought a small rice-mill 3 years ago. Payed about 200 000 bath for it. It was delivered with an electric engine, but we could not use because the power in the line was not strong enough so we had to change to diesel.

I tried to put 100 kg with paddyrice into the machine and here is what we got out:

50,8 kg rice, 4,2 kg broken rice, 27 kg with ram and the rest was husk.

We sell the ram for 5 bath pr kilo for animalfeed and the broken rice for 7 baht pr kilo. And we do as all the other small mills in the district, we "steel" 1/2-1 kilo of rice from every sack before we return to the farmer. This is a secret, but i think everybody knows this. To only keep the ram and broken rice will almost not cover the cost of diesel so the profit is the rice we "steel" from every sack.

Forgot to mention have you not checked with the local electric supply office if you can have them fit a larger Amp meter, it solved all our problems here for overload etc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, ram (lam) is the fine powder. The locals calls it ram ore lam but i dont know the english name on it.

We contactet the electrical supplier company several times to try to fixs the power. They changed the line into the house and the meter but it did not help. We even bought a big stepup-machine for 7000 bath to se if it would help, but every time we started the machine the voltage fell from 220 to 110 and the machine stopped. We even contactet the main office of the power supplier but nowbody knew what to do so we gave up and changed to diesel. Its not so bad now when the diesel-price is around 20 bath but last summer when it was around 44 bath pr. liter i think we lost money. We also have to drive around to the farms every day to collect rise from the farmers and bring it back to them in the evening after finnish in the machine, so its alot of work and not making any profit consider that we had to pay 200 000 bath for the machine. I think it will take many many years to get back the money from this investment so i would not recommend it.

Yes, ram (lam) is the fine powder. The locals calls it ram ore lam but i dont know the english name on it.

We contactet the electrical supplier company several times to try to fixs the power. They changed the line into the house and the meter but it did not help. We even bought a big stepup-machine for 7000 bath to se if it would help, but every time we started the machine the voltage fell from 220 to 110 and the machine stopped. We even contactet the main office of the power supplier but nowbody knew what to do so we gave up and changed to diesel. Its not so bad now when the diesel-price is around 20 bath but last summer when it was around 44 bath pr. liter i think we lost money. We also have to drive around to the farms every day to collect rise from the farmers and bring it back to them in the evening after finnish in the machine, so its alot of work and not making any profit consider that we had to pay 200 000 bath for the machine. I think it will take many many years to get back the money from this investment so i would not recommend it.

Yes I too have made the wrong investment mistake, must be all this sun that turns off the Brain cells for a while when we first start out. :D

I purchased the Kubota M105S for 1,500,000 Baht with the promise of more work than 10 can cope with, this did not materialise & when it did there was little or nothing to be made contracting. So the 500,000 deposit I made is lost has I'm lucky to get 1 million back even though its only a year old 700 hours, it will at least clear the finance.

I'm happy with the rice harvester & hope to be posting new photo's of a new Model later in the year.

So your not on your own in the live & learn department my Brain cells now seem to have adjust some what :o

• 1 month later...

"I'm happy with the rice harvester & hope to be posting new photo's of a new Model later in the year".

How much was the rice harvester? That was interesting about the Kubota 105s . I was thinking of a smaller one but the same situation might apply Randell

Hello All, I went with my BIL to a Govt. rice seed place here in Korat(across road and W. 300M. from DoHome) today to buy jasmine seed, seed was going for Bt.22kg.

People that were able to get a second crop this year at the village(12km from Phi Mai) got around Bt.14kg a few weeks back. The last main season jasmine was going for Bt.16-18kg.

rice555

"I'm happy with the rice harvester & hope to be posting new photo's of a new Model later in the year".

How much was the rice harvester? That was interesting about the Kubota 105s . I was thinking of a smaller one but the same situation might apply Randell

The Thai built Harvesters start around 1,500,000 baht up to over 2 million baht then you need your 6 wheeler that's around 400,000 minimum for a descent truck.

You need plenty patience as there crudely built & require a lot of attention to keep them working efficiently.

My family are working the 2nd harvest at the moment in Kalisin province it has a large government built irrigation canal system.

We are currently doing around 30 rai a day for a low figure of 500 baht a rai as the competition from other tractors is very high as not many areas in issarn have 2 harvest per year.

The harvest will last for 5 weeks if were lucky so do the maths you need 2 or more to make it pay good & make a decent business from it.

Neighbors (Chiang Mai) were cutting rice yesterday with a combine (hired). Went down to have a snoop just for my interest. Machine was a blue color (trim) do not know manufacture. The sickle drive had been replaced by local machine shop at some point. They did not put grease zerks in the replacement part. Looking at the various parts of the header, I was surprised at the lack of grease fittings on the entire system. I can see where that machine would require a lot of maintenance/repair. They had about 8 different v belts as spares hung on drivers umbrella. The throw over of grain was not too bad, but did notice some of the heads had not been separated from straw. The straw and cleanings are discharged from separate places on the combine. Cutting the paddies with a tracked vehicle was a slow process even though dry, just due to crossing dikes etc. Arriving at 0700 on truck, finished cutting and back on truck by 1500 (about 12 to 14 rai) Just looking at prices mentioned for purchase of this type of machine and required trucks, etc I am glad I am a hobby farmer and not out there trying to support and educate a growing family.

Just got off the phone with the misses & gossip as it that Mali rice may reach 20 baht a kg later in the year so some help at last for the poor anyone else hear this?

Some good news the diesel price is down today by 50 satang seems now the oil price as stabilized & the Government Tax as been reapplied this must be the proper price then :o

As anyone else noticed the 3 baht difference now between bio & standard diesel? Pre that wicked oil spike it was around 70 satang at most but still i struggle to convince the family its safe to use as long as you rotate its use to be 100% sure.

Source http://www.pttplc.com/en/nc_oi.aspx?

Hello All, I went with my BIL to a Govt. rice seed place here in Korat(across road and W. 300M. from DoHome) today to buy jasmine seed, seed was going for Bt.22kg.

People that were able to get a second crop this year at the village(12km from Phi Mai) got around Bt.14kg a few weeks back. The last main season jasmine was going for Bt.16-18kg.

rice555

They were good prices, in November in Roi Et we only got 12 Baht a kg & i never saw anything advertised for more than 15 baht.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After Reading the contents of this topic a number of questions has arisen.

My situation is that I have bought a wee hobby rice farm (16 Rai @60,000 Baht/Rai to be rented out (family he has already got 30 Rai of his own plus another 20 Rented from some-one else). I will only get the rent plus any appreciation of the land price itself. The missus reckons it is the land apprication that will make us the return on the investment.

The land is located near Phichit in the Central Area of Bangkok and unlike Issan they expect to get 2 crops a year without irrigation from a well and 3 crops a year with irrigation from a well. One of the Crops is a large return and the other 2 are smaller return.

Question 1 What are the price of rent per Rai? (big return season and small return season)

Question 2 He seeds the crops by hand, what way can this be automated?

Question 3 Would it be better to go for a 50/50 split on return of the rice? (he says that is more risky)

Question 4 How much does a well costs?

Question 5 We have been asked to do a GPS Survey to find out where the water will be at 30,000 baht, but even with my liitle knowlegde of the land I would have thought it would be in the same location at the others in line in the next farm. What is a GPS Survey and how useful is it?

My situation is that I have bought a wee hobby rice farm (16 Rai @60,000 Baht/Rai to be rented out (family he has already got 30 Rai of his own plus another 20 Rented from some-one else). I will only get the rent plus any appreciation of the land price itself. The missus reckons it is the land apprication that will make us the return on the investment.

The land is located near Phichit in the Central Area of Bangkok and unlike Issan they expect to get 2 crops a year without irrigation from a well and 3 crops a year with irrigation from a well. One of the Crops is a large return and the other 2 are smaller return.

Question 1 What are the price of rent per Rai? (big return season and small return season)

Question 3 Would it be better to go for a 50/50 split on return of the rice? (he says that is more risky)

Question 5 We have been asked to do a GPS Survey to find out where the water will be at 30,000 baht, but even with my liitle knowlegde of the land I would have thought it would be in the same location at the others in line in the next farm. What is a GPS Survey and how useful is it?

How much is the family paying for the 20 rai they rent ? that should give you an idea ,Thais are not known to pay over market rates.

500-1000 baht per rai is average in our area.

How much is the family paying for the 20 rai they rent ? that should give you an idea ,Thais are not known to pay over market rates.

They said the rates were 1000 baht for high season and 700 baht for the low season.

Edited by weescotsguy66

They said the rates were 1000 baht for high season and 700 baht for the low season.

Sounds about right, most Thais only lease for the one cropping and then walk away, a Google of Thailand rice yields will show you why leasing rates are so low.

With yields as low as 250kg per rai and undetermined prices that could be as low as 8k per tonne, a gross return of 2k per rai doesnt give you much to play with.

These figures are at the low end of the scale admittedly .

Sounds about right, most Thais only lease for the one cropping and then walk away, a Google of Thailand rice yields will show you why leasing rates are so low.

With yields as low as 250kg per rai and undetermined prices that could be as low as 8k per tonne, a gross return of 2k per rai doesnt give you much to play with.

These figures are at the low end of the scale admittedly .

Does anyone have information of the yeild for Rice Farms in the Phitchit area, also missus' cousin is planning to do 2 and maybe 3 crops. I have never seen him do only 1 one crop to his own farm since I have been going there.

What sucess rates is there for 3 crops?

Boy the Issan guys have it hard up there only one crop per year.

• 1 month later...

mmmmm ..... you've paid the equivilant of about 40 - 50years upfront per rai! - yup, your return is going to have to be in the appreciation of the land value, because it sure ain't going to be made through the rice harvest!

"Under a market intervention program in place since March, aimed at supporting prices for Thai rice farmers, the Thai government said it would build stockpiles of 6 million tons of milled rice by buying paddy directly from farmers at a fixed price of $345/ton."

* JULY 15, 2009, 3:07 A.M. ET

UPDATE: Thai Rice Stocks Near 7 Mln Tons - Industry Official

SINGAPORE (Dow Jones)--Thai government milled rice stockpiles are likely to be approaching 7 million metric tons and will probably start being released back into the market soon, a senior Thailand-based industry official said Wednesday.

Under a market intervention program in place since March, aimed at supporting prices for Thai rice farmers, the Thai government said it would build stockpiles of 6 million tons of milled rice by buying paddy directly from farmers at a fixed price of $345/ton.

"I think that level has already been passed - the stockpile is now likely nearing 7 million tons," said Chookiat Ophaswongse, president of the Rice Exporters Association of Thailand.

"It remains unclear when the government will start to release it but it will have to soon - before the main harvest gets underway in November," he said.

While the scheme has helped the country's rice farmers by paying above-market prices, exporters say it places the country's rice export sector in the hands of the government, leaving the private sector at the mercy of government-dictated prices and supply.

Meanwhile, observers have expressed concerns that the huge stockpile will continue to hang over the market.

"How and when the government decides to release the stockpile is critical - if they release it in large quantities then it could obviously effect rice prices. It is important that the rice is released in smallish lots of 300,000-400,000 tons," Chookiat said.

Traders have previously said the government will have to start to release its stocks to free up space ahead of Thailand's main rice harvest, which gets underway in November.

The price at which the stocks will be made available has not yet been finalized, but will likely depend on the market situation at the time, and the stocks will likely be sold through an auction system whereby private exporters bid directly to the government, Chookiat said.

Thailand, the world's biggest rice exporter, had previously forecast that 2009 exports would reach 8 million tons.

Source: The Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090715-702570.html

LaoPo

Anybody know what they are paying around the Ubon Ratchathani area? Thanks.....

The price just down the road in Sisaket has been Bt14/kilo since the end of last year, however, this weekend it has gone p to Bt16 - which surprises me after all the doom and gloom I have been reading regarding being over capacity in Thailand/generally.

The wife tells me that in Satuk, just up the road from Buri Ram that the price is 16.5 Baht a kilo. Question is, how long do we wait to sell. Have a couple of hundred bags waiting for the highest price. Could sell it all now and then it jumps again.

Just back from the farm and the father in Law is telling me that wet rice is being bought for about 9,000 baht which is a far cry from the figures that are being banded about on the television..

Is this figure the same everywhere?

I would appreciate some feedback from country wide...

Currently Bt14/kilo in Sisaket

Seasonal depending.....presently, it looks as if it might be Bht15-17 per kilo. But we grow four varieties of rice - 2 more 'exotic' and specialty rices. The 'red' rices will usually fetch more than your mali varieties.

• 1 year later...