Change Locks On 2007 D-max 4 Door And Add Alarm

torrenova

I want to change the locks on my D-Max. By that I mean so that the old keys don't work and the old remote control does not work either.

Now I don't want to do this myself but I want to get a ballpark figure so I will know how much the Isuzu people are "overcharging" but then again I don't really want somchai messing about with it either. Happy to pay a little OTT for the Isuzu dealership here in Buriram.

On the alarm front, it was an oversight when we bought it as I stupidly thought the immobiser would be part of an alarm set up. However, with the locks thing, it seems a sensible time to add one. As I know nothing about alarms etc. any assistance is much appreciated.

Hi Torrenova

A bit of a 'long shot' in me trying to help, but if you are having(or fancy) a trip to Surin. I have used SP Audio who have a large,very clean workshop on the same side as BigC, after hospital and before BigC. They have won 1st prizes across Thailand for the work and they do a VERY neat job. Prices are not unreasonable too. Phone no. is 0879614550 and they speak alittle Engrish.

Dave (just a happy customer BTW)

Can I ask why I should be worried about a "neat job" ? Surely it is a mechanical thing, out with the old and in with the new ? Or am I missing something ?

Thanks for the tip though. Will get the missus to phone.

The drive to Surin is easy, went there to get a fridge and washing machine as BigC in Buriram didn't have what we wanted.

thanks.

Can I ask why I should be worried about a "neat job" ? thanks.

Sure

Maybe its just me but when I see any type of workspace that is neat and tidy, its usually a good indication of the standard of work. I know of many cases of tricked Ferangs losing their money to roadside 'scrap dealer' car shops not doing what they have been paid for.

Last time I took my D Max to SP Audio, they fitted reversing warning sensors (only 3500b) and it was nice to see that they took a lot of effort into securing all the wiring and hiding it where possible. I accept I might be a bit fussy with my new Truck but its the first new car I have ever owned (excluding hoards of Company Vehicles).

I would hate to recommend someone who at a later date gives you a car so badly alarmed/locked that even you cannot get into. :o

Dave

Can't help with the locks, but Isuzu fitted our alarm for B2,400 when we bought our D-Max (they also did the reverse sensors for B3,500). Nice neat job, but the alarm remote is independent of the lock remote so you've got two buttons to press to lock and arm the alarm. Would have preferred a single button.

Agreed Dave about the quality of work. The truck is only a year old so botched jobs are not on the agenda. However, further to some action today here is what I discovered. All discussion in Thai between my missus and the respective Thai counterparts.

Went to Isuzu, they said Bt750. When questioned that was for a key. They said they could not do the remote locking things. Well this is <deleted> as the new D-Max comes with the remote locking in the key (ours was separate).

Dave, SP Audio said they could do the remote thing (haven't talked alarms yet) but not the key which figures as it is an Isuzu security issue.

So, back to square one. I need to get some Thai to understand that I want new locks so the old keys don't work. These keys should have the remote sensors in them given the newer technology. I am veering towards Isuzu being the only people who can do this but only if they can be arsed to understand what is required.

Now with my simple understanding of electronics, whatever receives the signal will either have to be replaced or reprogrammed. The keys and locks should come from Isuzu given security concerns.

As for alarms etc. needing different remotes then that is <deleted>. A friend has a similar aged Colorado (same as D-Max really) and his alarm and locks work off the same remote. Surely a simple matter of incorporating it into the same wiring loop.

Now if anyone can explain how I get someone at Isuzu to understand this simple request I will gladly shout a good few beers !

To say it cannot be done is just crap, if someone nicks your key and you have to replace the locks etc. Don't tell me that you end up with an inferior system with more parts than the original or botched job from two or three different places.

Thanks for the replies to date, any more assistance greatly appreciated.

OK, getting nowhere in LOS so I spoke to Isuzu in the UK.

They say that the "body ECU" and either existing or new remote fobs can be reprogrammed at the same time. Does anyone know anything about this ?

Also, has anyone got any new keys or fobs recently for an Isuzu ? I ask as the new models have the remote in the key as opposed to a seperate plastic thing.

I'm trying to find out as much as possible as Somchai in Isuzu here in Buriram is as thick as shit.

Finally got some answers.

To replace the locks with 2007 models with the separate remote fobs will be about Bt6,000 whereas to do the same with the 2008 lock and remotes in the keys themselves will be about Bt9,000. These are Isuzu prices and as Somchai and nowhere apart from Isuzu can do the locks and keys it looks like we're stuck with it. Not an expene I want but what the heck can I do ?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Can I ask why I should be worried about a "neat job" ?

As previously mentioned, the condition of the workplace is quite often an indication of the type of work that you will get. Take two places, side by side, offering the same mechanical work. Shop A is neat and clean, well-lit, the inside is painted. Shop B is the typical roadside "cave", dark, Somchai is working on something in the dirt in front of the shop...which are you going to choose?

Even assuming that both will fix the problem for the same amount, and the work will be done properly in both cases...which place are you more likely to leave from with a big grease spot on the seat from where someone moved the car, test drove it etc?

Torrenova,

This is what I did after having my first Toyota stolen!!!!! :o

I have not changed the locks as it was just too much trouble,however the remote locking system has been replaced with an ABG unit which is two way..It involved removing the old Toyota remote unit and then they completey rewire the system and give you a new anti clonable remote system..

However if your car has the new immoboliser key might be more difficult...

I also bought a brake locking system which has another immobiliser fitted and stops the car from braking and finally I bought a steering wheel lock,very clever thing not the norm..

If they want the car now they will have to tow it...

Any more help pm me..

Plus ABG give you free insurance..they also have a tracking unit...

They have to change the 2 door locks and the steering lock and they get some code from Isuzu and they have to reprogramme both the CPU and the key fobs at the same time. This means the old fobs will not work and of course, the old keys will not work in the lock. Back to new but 9k I shouldn't have had to spend if people had been more bloody careful where they put / left the dam_n things in the first place.

Stll it was only thais so it doesn't matter because the farang will just reach out of the bedroom window to the money tree and pull off another wedge. <deleted>.