Room Size Air Filter/cleaner

jeepholt

I've decided to give my old Esarn wife a break finally and am looking to buy a room sized air cleaner/filter to help clear up the air a bit. I've heard that HEPA style are the best? Anyone with any experience with these cleaners and recommendations? Where to buy in Pattaya. Filters, cost, frequency of filter changes, etc. The room size is only about 36 sq mtrs and is air conditioned, but I smoke. No windows to open since we've double paned all windows for noise. We do have a small exhaust fan, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to filter out more of the smoke I think. Appreciate any recommendations. TIA

many model in carrefour but if you smoke inside the room the filter is full after a few days and filter are expensive

I'll have to get off my lazy butt and go check out Carrefour. I've never been in the store. The missus always does all the shopping. Just too hard to explain what I am looking for, so I'd better go myself this time. I appreciate your reply, that's why I asked the question here so I could get some experienced answers. Any idea of the brand-model to buy, and possibly how much and long approximately before the filters need replacing? Any models have filters that can be cleaned? TIA

Bought ourselves an “Atmosphere air purifier” from Amway. A bit expensive at 39K THB, However worth every Bath for me.

Cleans the air from my smoking 6 cats and 1 dog.... at night we move it to the bedroom and sleep in a dust free envoirement. Especially in small rooms it will improve the air quality dramatically.

Check it out for yourself: http://springatmosphere.com/airpurifiers

first on your aircon system you must put the "filtrete electrostatic fibers " from 3M brand

plus you can buy an additionel cleaner brand is HATARI

plus you can buy an additionel deshumidificator brand is bluesky

perfect solution for ashma and allergy

but if you smoke inside your bedroom it's impossible to answer how much and long before the filters need replacing !!

I don't know if there is a Central in Pattaya, but Central in Bangkok are selling some air-purifiers at 50 pc discount.

I just bought (today) a Hitachi for 8950 baht which does a room up to 32 sq. m. They say that the HEPA filter will last 5 years "assumed to be an environment with the amount of smoke equivalent to 5 tobaccos every day" (sic)

The model I bought was CAF-C4A with remote and contains an ioniser plus HEPA and bacterial filters. I think the salesman said that replacement filter packs were about 1500 baht.

The Homeworks home store next to the Big C branch at the Sukhumvit end of South Pattaya road has a large selection of free-standing room air-filters. Several different brands to choose from.

Also, those 3M Filtrate air-con air filters are amazing. After a month or so, when you change the filthy dirty things, it's amazing to see the crap you would be breathing in if one didn't have these extra filters in place. (Also, put on a particulate mask when changing these filter sheets.)

Who stocks the 3m Filters? they sound worthwhile.

Most of the home improvement stores carry them...usually in the section where they sell air-con units. They are very fine mesh material that you cut to size and tape to the outside of the plastic air-filters that come with your air-con units. Basically, they make a much finer filter out of the ones that come with the units and it's amazing to see how dirty they get (and how quickly).

There is also a Japanese/Thai brand that I have seen that is cheaper but not a fine a material (but is quite a bit cheaper). The 3M Filtrate ones are about B 300 a pack and you get enough material for 2 units.

Edited by NotNew2You

I don't know if there is a Central in Pattaya, but Central in Bangkok are selling some air-purifiers at 50 pc discount.

I just bought (today) a Hitachi for 8950 baht which does a room up to 32 sq. m. They say that the HEPA filter will last 5 years "assumed to be an environment with the amount of smoke equivalent to 5 tobaccos every day" (sic)

The model I bought was CAF-C4A with remote and contains an ioniser plus HEPA and bacterial filters. I think the salesman said that replacement filter packs were about 1500 baht.

"they" have no idea but of that "no idea" they have galore :o

• 7 months later...

You're right there Naam

The best 4inch plus jobs can apparently last quite a while (not 5 years!) which they should do given IQ Air asks about 14,000 for a full set of three, 8000 just for the main HEPA one!! What a rip!

IIf the Hitachi only cost 8950 it only has a one inch filter. Now some filters, especially pre-filters are washable and may last a whole. 5 years......ridiculous.

I've done some looking up and it seems to me for normal purposes a good HEPA filter plus pre-filter to keep the large stuff out is all I need. Carbon is only necessary for gases and electrostatic is only rated for while it holds it's charge. The main filter does the job including really fine stuff if it is properly rated.

I am currently wondering if it is possible to build a combined system which handles

Simple air pumping to keep interior at ambient temp

Air con

Air filtration

not necessarily all at once, just each as required.

I want it to be high quality filtration. It may need to be cartridges, though I would consider making up cartridges from sheet filter if it met the specs and was possible.

I am still in need of a supplier to check availability/pricing of the filter medium. It may have to be a proprietary air purifiers own brand as we are in Thailand and a bit dear. I hope rather to get 3M standard filters or something.

Can anyone help?

cheers

John

You're right there Naam

The best 4inch plus jobs can apparently last quite a while (not 5 years!) which they should do given IQ Air asks about 14,000 for a full set of three, 8000 just for the main HEPA one!! What a rip!

IIf the Hitachi only cost 8950 it only has a one inch filter. Now some filters, especially pre-filters are washable and may last a whole. 5 years......ridiculous.

I've done some looking up and it seems to me for normal purposes a good HEPA filter plus pre-filter to keep the large stuff out is all I need. Carbon is only necessary for gases and electrostatic is only rated for while it holds it's charge. The main filter does the job including really fine stuff if it is properly rated.

I am currently wondering if it is possible to build a combined system which handles

Simple air pumping to keep interior at ambient temp

Air con

Air filtration

each as required, and in combination if required.

I want it to be high quality filtration. It may need to be ready made cartridges, though I would consider making up cartridges from sheet filter if it met the specs and was possible. That may be difficult. Pleating is desirable to increase the surface area therefore aiding airflow characteristics and filter life and that may be difficult or impossible.

I am still in need of a supplier to check availability/pricing of the filter medium. It may have to be a proprietary air purifiers (BlueAir/Toshiba/Sharp) own brand filter as we are in Thailand and a bit dear (although they probably all use common sources for the actual fibrous filter material). I hope rather to get 3M or 3M competitor (anyone know these) standard filters or something.

Can anyone help?

cheers

John

Sorry about the double post the second is my edit....

Well as Notnewtoyou mentioned there were cartridge filters available. They were the 1 inch type which I had rather discarded as a possibility, rectangular with approx one square foot area. 598 baht (a house will require several sq ft).

What is interesting is that it was called a Hepa-Pure filter HA 9218 and it was from Hatari.

So maybe the one inch is OK it just needs replacing more often. I have sent an email to Hatari Thailand (strange i couldnt Google Hatari for US or world or UK......interested to ask the following question from an English speaking rep, are they called something else in the West?). Their site says

"Hepa Filter + Activated Carbon use to capture the dust and even microscopic particles at 0.3 micrometer up to 99.99% ......"

I pointed out if a filter is called HEPA it MUST STOP AT LEAST 99.97% particles and asked if it was truly a HEPA (interestingly 0.3 microns happens to be the most difficult size particle to remove which is why it was chosen....both smaller and larger are easier).

Given that the site didn't even get their English checked I'm not holding my breath for an authoritative answer.

Any input gratefully received.

John

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised that there wasnt more imput from memebers on this topic.

I want to get an air purifier to use in my bedroom. The dust is killing me. I don't smoke and I'm very clean but the entire area near where I live has many factories nearby & the air seems dirty and dusty. I also live along a dirt soi, so when its dry, high speed vigos & finos that past by stir the problem up.

Has anyone got some useful info regarding what I should look for, I've seen numerous options at home pro and Lotus, but ive got no idea what I'm looking at.

PS: I was trying to help chaingmai bruces blood pressure and didnt start a new topic about this, as there were a couple that already existed BUT IM NOT IN PATTAYA.

Edited by neverdie

I'm surprised that there wasnt more imput from memebers on this topic.

I want to get an air purifier to use in my bedroom. The dust is killing me. I don't smoke and I'm very clean but the entire area near where I live has many factories nearby & the air seems dirty and dusty. I also live along a dirt soi, so when its dry, high speed vigos & finos that past by stir the problem up.

Has anyone got some useful info regarding what I should look for, I've seen numerous options at home pro and Lotus, but ive got no idea what I'm looking at.

Any of the home improvement store chains and the department store appliance sections have a large selection of room air filters to choose from. They range in price from a few thousand baht up to 20 thousand or more (generally fancy Japanese brands). I had a similar situation as you in the past, with lots of fine dust particles in the air tha would settle on everything (I was constantly dusting every couple days) and presumably in my lungs too.

I think the first thing to do is to use the 3M Filtrete air-con filter mesh as a start. This alone will remove a large part of the dust and other particulate matter in the air. Basically, you are converting your pre-existing air-con unit to an air-con and air-filter unit. You will be amazed at how well they work. As an addition, I bought the Hatari room filter that goes for around 5000 baht (comes with 1 filter unit...these retail for around B 400). It does a great job too...only it's a little noisy (the expensive Japanese ones are quieter) but you get used to it. With using the Filtrete and Hatari room filter, my dust and particulate levels have gone down to almost zero. My dusting is now a monthly activity rather than ever few days.

PS: To make the Hatari even more effective, I have replaced the stock black mesh filter medium at the front with the Thai version of the Filtrete that goes for like B 60 a package (it's much finer than the black mesh) and on the Hatari filter case, on the front of that, I tape on a layer of the 3M Filtrete. That way, when it's time to change the filter, I only have to replace the Filtrete and not the whole B 400 case. Believe me, they say the filter case is good for 5 years, but in Thailand, the initial particle filter will get jet-black in colour in a couple months and need to be replaced, even if the charcoal and HEPA filters at the back are still good.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Thankyou so much meetjohndoe for all that info.

I have seen these filters at home pro etc & theres always some flash guy there trying to make a sale on a shower head or aircon system & none of them seem to know their products that well, so I have always ended off walking off muttering 'mai pben rai' or 'pissoff ur annoying me'.

I have just fitted a new inverter panasonic air con system to my room and its fitted with filters & is cutting down with the dust problem significantly, however, I feel that in due course this aircon that wasnt cheap might get 'stressed' with all this dust, maybe I'm better off running a smallish type seperate filter with it. Of course I can always use it in other rooms too, if needbe, but sleeping is my main concern.

I will go take a look next week at the Hatari one & the filter options & see how it goes. I reakon the Panasonic Air Con has cut dust down about 60 percent, however its not always on and obviously i dont want to run the aircon 24/7. The dust in the room is probably settling or entering the room when the aircon is off & naturally the aircon probably isnt designed to suck dust from all corners of the room.

Anyway, there seems to be so many options & choices.

I have just fitted a new inverter panasonic air con system to my room and its fitted with filters & is cutting down with the dust problem significantly, however, I feel that in due course this aircon that wasnt cheap might get 'stressed' with all this dust, maybe I'm better off running a smallish type seperate filter with it. Of course I can always use it in other rooms too, if needbe, but sleeping is my main concern.

If you have fitted the Filtrete filters onto the stock plastic air con filters you do have to check them every couple weeks in the beginning. They can get dirty quite quickly at first (that's good as they are doing their job) but once they get very dark coloured and filthy dirty (and plugged-up with dust) they will put a little stress on your system and you will notice a drop in the power of the air-flow from the unit. This is you signal to change the Filtrete. After the first few months, after it gets your room air nice and clean, the frequency of changing the Filtrete goes down. For me, it's now about every 6 weeks...but of course, it also depends on the general air quality in your particular area and if you leave doors and windows open.

If you want the filter action but don't need the air cooling from running the compressor, you can just put the unit on "fan" setting. Therefore, the air get circulated and cleaned but you save on cooling.

PS: When changing the Filtrete, I wear a face-mask in order to prevent breathing any of the particulate matter that fly off during the changing and dispose of them in sealed plastic bags. They get really disgusting and it's scary to think one was breathing in all that crap.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• 2 weeks later...

No, I cant fit those filters you are talking about to my new Panasonic air con it will create some type of explosion, as the filters or e-ion system is a special little jobbie in itself. Panasonic recommends cleaining the e-ion filters every couple of months or more often in dusy areas. We are doing it every couple of weeks and they are filthy, so they are working real well. I will probably start doing that weekly. I am heading off today to look at these purifiers and purchase if I find one that suits.

Actually only two models at Carrefour, cheapie at 4-5000 baht and a Panasonic overpriced at 12, 000 baht (This was last month on sale at Carrefour for 6500 baht! Same Model etc)

many model in carrefour but if you smoke inside the room the filter is full after a few days and filter are expensive