What Can Be Done If You Are Fired.

Hello,

I may be in the wrong section here, but I have just been sacked from a teaching job and my 12 month contract cancelled with pay only up to the day I last worked. I have been told, but am not sure, that I can make a claim with the Labor Dept. and may be entitlted to recieve some compensation. I would appreciate any advice. Many thanks.

First make sure you are here on a legal visa entry (90 days) and not a one year extension of stay - if on an extension of stay it ended with end of employment and you are now overstay if you have not obtained a 7 day extension.

There are various rules on compensation but I do not know details but am sure others can provide you information. They probably need to know how long you have worked.

The reasons stipulated for firing you are the most important factor in determining if you have a case.

For some things you can be instantly fired like theft, etc.

For other things, there is a process that should be followed and this should be stated in your contract.

Edited by haltes

i would start by reading this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Compensation...ml&hl=donna

there is a lot of information on there that should help you.

Thanks for everybodies reply, the full facts are,

I started working for a government school, through an agency, I have a non B visa & work permit, which both expire Sept. 6th, so I know I have to go to a Thai embasy & get a 3 month tourist visa before that date. It has not been cancelled.

The only reason I was given was that a parent complained that I was too strict with their son, and the school didn't want to sack me (so they said) but that parent was a very influential person, and they were very sorry, blah blah blah..

I worked 1 day over the three month trial period, but the contract was signed as a 12 month contract, and there is no mention of a three month trial period. (But I was told it is standard procedure anyway to have this trial period)

I was given one days notice of being fired.