Nice Thai People

TexasRanger

I just wanted to start a thread to say about nice things Thai people have done for me, I wonder how many post we will get in before someone starts having a go at the locals.....

The hire car I was driving got a problem up in Issan and before I could even get down and have a look, 3 people had stopped and one, a mechanic, fixed it for free, he didn't even want some beer money (but I insisted).

A Thai friend invited my family to eat and he turned up with wrapped presents for them for Thai New Year.

My Sister in law arranges all the stuff I need doing up in Issan, when I was having land prepared for my house I was out of the country and she took care of everything.

When I was in an accident in Nakorn Phanom at least 3 by standers came to the cop shop as witnesses against the A Holes who hit me.

Who'se next? Think nice thoughts :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when 1st came to thailand 15 years ago my plane ticket wasnt anygood during the moth of august ,couldnt leave had no money left to get another flight pay for hotel or eat ,the hotel i was staying at the city hotel said i could pay later and ranong restaurant fed me ,i was coming back in 1 month and they trusted me,i still eat in ranong albeit a different location and the owners of city hotel are still my friends ,but they both got me out of a lot of trouble ..

It really comes down to "Do unto others....." Whether in Issan (where I live) or BKK I have never personally been on the receiving end of attitude, because I do not give anyone reason to give me attitude. Thais are the reason why I like living in the LOS. Attitude is never far away. All I have to do is log into TV forum. :o

Edited by mizzi39

Where to start, to numerous to tell really.

One springs to mind.

A couple of years ago, I had a kidney crises (kidney stone moving). Very very painful.

My next door neighbors that had just moved in the week before, drove me to the hospital, took our dogs in for 3 days, visited me and my wife in the hospital and came to pick me up to bring me and the wife home.

Wouldn't accept anything.

cheers

onzestan

Driving from Don Muang to ChonBuri on the Skyway I got a flat tyre, before I could get the tyre iron out some nice bloke had a jack under my car and was changing my wheel for me.

He refused to accept a tip.

Maybe I should have given a few examples to my original reply. I live with nice Thai people (my wife and son) and I have in-laws, aunts, uncles, cousins etc., that are constantly doing nice things for me without asking for anything in return. One recent example would be my car. The overdrive in my car was sticking last week and would not shift down. My brother in law took it to his friend who is a mechanic. It took 2 hours for his friend to diagnose where the problem was coming from and to fixed it. This guy would not take any money from me. I did buy him a bottle for his troubles though. :o

Well......I can speak for my husband :o

-He lost a screw from his eyeglasses while eating, when he had it fixed at the store the owner didn’t charge him any

-He stop and asked for the direction to the Jatujak, one thai lady told him of how to get there then wai to him once she finished and my husband then returned her wai.

-His inlaws (my parents) didn’t ask for any sinsot …..(very nice, cool in-law!)

-He never have to pay for any meals when outing with my family at the restaurants while we’re in Thailand. (again - nice of them!)

Oh Btw - he has a very nice thai wife who loves him maak maak since their univ years together and quite beautiful also :D

got a puncture, on very busy road pulled over and a tuk tuk driver took charge and fixed it for me. cars front wheel went down a storm drain, thai lady walked past said hang on, came back with 6 thai men who lifted car out of drain and then they just all walked away. amazing it was pouring with rain at the time as well.

you guys are talking about stuff that most of the population would do in a nice neighborhood in any western country

not really exploits.. its more sad that most in thailand don't do that for free

Most westerners in western countries wouldn't do it for free either. I find more Thais willing to give a helping hand without expecting anything in return than people from my home country. You could live in a nice neighborhood for years in the west and never know your neighbor.

Edited by mizzi39

you guys are talking about stuff that most of the population would do in a nice neighborhood in any western country

Most westerners in western countries wouldn't do it for free either. I find more Thais willing to give a helping hand without expecting anything in return than people from my home country. You could live in a nice neighborhood for years in the west and never know your neighbor.

I agree and disagree with parts of this. In my country most people are very helpful and expect nothing in return. I can think of only a few examples of that happening here to me , but nonetheless it has happened...great.

And about neighbours. Here in the big smoke (BKK), most people (and that's Thais) in apartments and condos would not have the foggiest who was living next door to them.

Thai people are the main reason I go to Thailand so often:

- generally speaking more friendly, respectfull, relaxed than falangs, more a "live and let live" attitude, instinctively more helpfull and less meddlesome.

But things are changing slowly, especially in the tourist areas. The noisy and often disrespectfull behaviour of many falangs has his effects.

After my hernia op 3 years ago the thai man who owned the house i rented,took me to bk/pattaya hospital and picked me up after op.Brought flowers and a nice bottle of brandy.neighbours always giving my stepson some food from her restaraunt.lady down the soi brings food and we sit for a chat.The garage thats close to my house always repairs my sons push bike free.so so many good stories to tell,and i didnt get that much in the uk only chavs smashing windows and breaking wing mirrors.

- generally speaking more friendly, respectfull, relaxed than falangs, more a "live and let live" attitude, instinctively more helpfull and less meddlesome.

But things are changing slowly, especially in the tourist areas. The noisy and often disrespectfull behaviour of many falangs has his effects.

This is interesting. So you are saying when the smiling Orientals misbehave it is the fault of the bad men of European extraction? I learn something here everyday.

At least you're learning something. Maybe there is hope for you yet!

We have a winner, post no. 9. :o

TexasRanger, hold on you might have more than 1 winner.

จริง ติง มา อีก แล้ว

We have a winner, post no. 9. :o

TexasRanger, hold on you might have more than 1 winner.

จริง ติง มา อีก แล้ว

เห็นด้วย :D

This is interesting. So you are saying when the smiling Orientals misbehave it is the fault of the bad men of European extraction? I learn something here everyday.

Everybody stays responsible for his own behaviour of course, but people do not live on an island, there is mutual influence.

In an other topic you give a good example that action can lead to reaction.

Well......I can speak for my husband :o

-He lost a screw from his eyeglasses while eating, when he had it fixed at the store the owner didn't charge him any

-He stop and asked for the direction to the Jatujak, one thai lady told him of how to get there then wai to him once she finished and my husband then returned her wai.

-His inlaws (my parents) didn't ask for any sinsot …..(very nice, cool in-law!)

-He never have to pay for any meals when outing with my family at the restaurants while we're in Thailand. (again - nice of them!)

Oh Btw - he has a very nice thai wife who loves him maak maak since their univ years together and quite beautiful also :D

Wow you have managed to disguise stingyness with kindness. :D Love is way overrated :D

Just out walking around, unknown people call out from their porch and invite me to gin khao, or offer me a lift - why would I want to walk?

And the guy who gave me an amulet for rescuing his music collection on his computer - Thai operating system - not really a big achievement to find the recycle bin!

Lots of little things that make your day, again and again...

A frend of my wifes (single) will always help us with anything, lend us her car take us somewhere help with finding something big or small never ever will she take anything for it in fact we always joke if my wife dies she will be my new wife she's sooooooooooooooo nice. Whenever I go over I always take her something such as a bar of Cadbury's chocolate or a T shirt from the UK, she's a but shy but such a lovely woman.

I just wanted to start a thread to say about nice things Thai people have done for me, I wonder how many post we will get in before someone starts having a go at the locals.....

The hire car I was driving got a problem up in Issan and before I could even get down and have a look, 3 people had stopped and one, a mechanic, fixed it for free, he didn't even want some beer money (but I insisted).

A Thai friend invited my family to eat and he turned up with wrapped presents for them for Thai New Year.

My Sister in law arranges all the stuff I need doing up in Issan, when I was having land prepared for my house I was out of the country and she took care of everything.

When I was in an accident in Nakorn Phanom at least 3 by standers came to the cop shop as witnesses against the A Holes who hit me.

One night my old jeep ground to a halt in the dark on a remote road in Surin province.

A motorbike stopped and we guessed the jeep was out of fuel.

He disappeared and came back with a plastic bag full of diesel. He cleverly poured it into the tank. I paid him for the fuel but he wouldn't take a thank you tip.

Ten minutes later I stopped to call Cat to tell her why I was running late, and there he was at my shoulder.

He had followed me going away from home just to make sure I was okay.

This latter was really generous I thought because it was a kindness that I would most probably never have discovered.

Kon Thai jai dee!

My friend pooped his pants in Silom and a motorbike taxi kindly took him home so that he could change. You cannot beat that kind of service.

people feel bad for retards and try to help them when they're stuck somewhere banging their hands between 2 walls not knowing that turning left or right would save them.. in any country

same goes for those who poop their pants

Well done for coming out with these things!

I have a reputation for always knocking the locals.. but yes there are exceptions (same as the whole world over... 90% <deleted> and selfish and 10% decent people).

Some Thai people have ethics, and it is these people who are sick of the ignorance, ill manner and selfish, brutal attitude in their own country (i have this from the horses mouths), and feel sorry for u8s Farang who have to be the target of being taken advantage of due to our lesser status and the limits we have imposed ()cant buy land in our name, vehicles etc, cant have 100 percent of company, have to do visa runs). Thus, these ethical Thais (who are normally people who have enough of their own money to not have to think dodgy thoughts about how to decieve us), try to give a good example for their nation by doing good charitable deeds to us farang to show us that Thailand and Thai people areb not all like that.

I have 3 Thai friends who never ever ask me for anything, come to my house and bring khaw hniaw and gai yang etc... They like to extract knowledge about the different mindsets that Thais and Farang have (or Asianm and Western).. so they visit me often to chat.

But these 3 are the exception... as soon as i go on the street it starts.. "oh heloo! tattoo!" and grab my arm! well these days i say "hey! whats the score man? who do you think yu are? why dont you go up to that 43 year old Thai guy and grab his arm? anmd say "oh hello tattoo!"

No of course you wont! he will probably shoot you if you do! so0 why do they think they can do thjings with us that they would never dare to do with their own kind? because they think we dont know.

A kid asks me "hey farang!" got a cigarette? - i reply - "yes! but only if you dare to go and ask that Thai guy same age as me in the same manner forst" lol you should see their faces drop... you see, for a teenager to talk mlike that to a 43 year old elder is unacceptable.

So anyway, i am glad you found those far and few between people.. you will meet some along the way, I love Thailand and Thai CVulture as i am sure you do too...

but i am still cynical i saw ,my first faran in 2 months 2 weeks ago i am that excommunicated from Farang land.. no farang where i live. I speak readf and write only thai except here and on my website i write english. I know only Thai people socially almost never see a farang.. i have been doing this for a long time so i feel i really know the inner workings of the thai culture and mindset because it is that which i use myself in daily life. Tv only Thai films only Thai, newspaper only Thai. Dont ask me who is PM of Great Britain as i havenmt a clue.. but ask me about Thai politics, history or religion or literature then i can talk.

Basically im almost Thai, thats whgy i am sick of the thais and this enviroment...

Thats why all these women want out of here! they are sick of the fact that you cant have anything the pothers just peel you opf it loans borrow this borrow that.. so get a farang and get out o here! Others just want someone to build a house for them when you are dead and they are old.

Sorry to be super cynical, but the bit about your "sister in law" taking care of all the land transactions hahahahahahaaaaaaa!

i do that to! any l;and transaction is p[aid 3 to 7 percent to the middle man without any paperwork.

so basically she got 3 percent minimum of whatever you paid!

thats for sure as ALL Land transactions in TYhailand go that way.

I know because i used to do it myself.

So of course she was "Nice enough" to oblige in taking care of the paperwork

if you cant read Thai, you are beng peeled somewhere along the line. they do it to each other, so of course they will do it to us.

Also as to love... a Thai lady looks for a future and a financial wellness before looking if you are handsome or if you fit together well.

whereas a farang lady will not care if you are rich or poor (*well some bitches do but you can tell which type is which) - they will choose you for you and for what you are.

A thai will choose you for what you have!

Exceptions

Older fat ugly darkskinned women who are afraid to die alone old and poor because no nkids or kids pissed off.

the odd person with a clean ethical mind

40 year old thai lady gets 27 year old handsome young farang (wierd huh? theres lots of that stereotype! - the thai girls always ask me why these handsome young farang take ugly black old wives. (i reply that the farang dont realize that their gf is older than they think, or that maybe they are wise and know the only way to get a faithful thai wife is to choose from the dregs.)

A Thai woman thinks "who will come and take care of me"

a Farang Woman thinks (*at leasty thos i have been with) "who will love me and care abut me and be a good man to me."

which is the right reason for taking a partner?

Its not their fault it is also nnot wrong that they think like this.. we think its wrong and it is for us.. butb they have learned a different system.

Its the way the cookie crumbles and you have to live with it like it or lump it or if not then f off home.

I prefer to put up with it.. the lesser of 2 evils is live here... i couldnt go back to uk with all that cuppa teas maRMITE BEANS ON TOAST and the daily mirror

i am used to waking up here and going to a temple and chant, sit and talk cosmic things with monks, watch people go into animal posession trances learn how to make invincibility amulets...... sit in the garden and say there is a ghost between the rose trees.. and it is taken seriously as a fact - magick is fact here... in the West everything is banal and mundane - here everything is like out of a thousand and one nights in comparison..

so thats why i live here.

Not because i love the Thais.. i love Thai people and worry for the welfare of Thailand.. but i am very disappointed and concerned with the general state of my chose\n land and people.. the truth is i want them to be good because i love them, but i am so frustrated trying to teach this.

I never cared about any penny or item that a Thai got from me, i am no materialiust... what bothers me is not the extra expense.. it is the fact of hukan selfishness it is like a blindness.. it cust me up inside, it chaps my ass, because it is unnecessary. To be nice to me will only nmake me want to be generous to you

to have false intentions.. well i have 6th sense anyway so i know before they even open ntheir mouths why they came around. so they should learn that they dont need to trick me.. just bemy family and what is mine will be yours.

but thats a hard one to teach them (us)

well anyway

summary

Thai people are lovely in principle

They just have to learn to see us as equals before they can begin to treat us as such.

Other exceptions - when you are really down and out... Thais are "Khee Songsarn" (ขี้สงสาร) and will help you when you are really down and have nothing.

(after they peeled you of it all) If you have no food they will come and feed you every day

but if you have your rent money only and they see it they will ask to borrow it to pay a panding debt today and pay you back tomorrow (i promise SURE!).

next day you have to tell the landlord you will pay late because the3 <deleted> has disappeared.

(when all i have is my rent and no food money, how can a person dare to ask to borrow that rent money??? i wouldnt have the cheek)

But yes down and out then you get help.

Al;so last example of an exception is a new phenomenon occuring in the last 10 years.

Before all there was, was older farang pensioners geting 16 year old wives.

These days there are young handsome keanu reeves david bekham george clooneys type (in their eyes) coming to either teach or learn muay thai or work as programmers or just live here...

Thes epeople are able to encounter young Thai girls \nice and white and chinesey looking), with rich mum and dad and just have a normal mutual relationship (ok she has 30 other guys in her mobile fone as do all thai girls).

Thats it.

sorry to enlighten you about your sister in law

I brought a load of family over from the UK. Whilst visiting a zoo a monkey reached out and gabbed one kid's glasses and promptly ripped the plastic covering off the arm (bit that goes over the ear). Within a minute a passing cleaner had grabbed a keeper who came and retrieved the glasses - with a smile. At the mall we took the glasses to an optician and waited about 2 minutes while they repaired the glasses with a new ear piece (didn't even know you cold do that - was expecting new frames at least). The two people that served us gave us some juice while we waited and would accept no payment for the repair (let alone selling his parents a new pair of glasses).

Edited by wolf5370