Phuket, Krabi Airports Still Shut

george

Phuket, Krabi airports still shut

PHUKET: -- Phuket and Krabi airports remained closed yesterday as People's Alliance for Democracy supporters occupying them insisted they would continue their protest until the prime minister resigned or PAD leaders said otherwise.

The situation returned to normal at Hat Yai Airport.

More train services were also suspended yesterday as part of the workers' strikes to support the PAD, while the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) was reported to have lost Bt51 million in income in the past three days.

In Krabi, the provincial airport remained closed for the second day, with six inbound flights, two of them international, cancelled. Tourists who have booked outbound flights have been told they can get refunds.

Meanwhile, PAD supporters, vowing to keep blocking Phuket Airport entrance until Samak Sundaravej resigns, continued their mission for a second day. Some 400 police and volunteers were there to ensure security and safety. Deputy Phuket Governor Worapoj Ratthasima affirmed that no violence would be used to drive protesters out.

The airport occupation has alienated some PAD members in Phuket who were upset that the province's tourism was being affected. Some have disowned the movement and called for an end to the closure.

In Songkhla, Hat Yai Airport was reopened. Banjong Nasae, a leadฌing member of local PAD supporters, warned the government not to disperse the Bangkok rally with violence or they would seize Hat Yai Airport again and this time might camp there for at least five days.

A protest has also taken place at Surat Thani Airport, forcing THAI to suspend flights to the province.

Meanwhile, 255 railway workers continued their strike yesterday, affecting 12 northern routes, 27 northeastern routes, 39 southern routes and 45 freight services.

-- The Nation 2008-08-31

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I found this new thread :D

All quiet at the airport. More of my guests are opting to take buses up to BKK, and thence onto their next destination.

Simon

Odds and probabilities of airport opening this evening at 6:00?

Any reports?

Put it this way H.B. if you have an airline ticket out of here today, take the bus.. :o Sorry Mate

The protesters say they are staying until Samak goes.

Nothing flying in or out.......only wet birds.

12.04: PHUKET AIRPORT DIRECTOR PRESS CONFERENCE RIGHT NOW ANNOUNCES AIRPORT HAS REOPENED TODAY WITH SOME OPERATIONS SINCE 11AM. MORE LATER.

Simon, any eye witness news. This is hard to believe !

When the rain stops one of us will go and check again what's happening.

If the Television is announcing a reopening then things sound promising. Fingers Crossed

12.04: PHUKET AIRPORT DIRECTOR PRESS CONFERENCE RIGHT NOW ANNOUNCES AIRPORT HAS REOPENED TODAY WITH SOME OPERATIONS SINCE 11AM. MORE LATER.

Simon, any eye witness news. This is hard to believe !

When the rain stops one of us will go and check again what's happening.

If the Television is announcing a reopening then things sound promising. Fingers Crossed

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1235 Krabi Airport also reopened since this morning with TG flights in and out while Air Asia from Kuala Lumpar and Bangkok cancelled their flights today due to uncertainty. Passengers are advised to contact the airport tel. 075 636541-2 before leaving for the airport.

Can we get a report on when Air Asia will resume a full schedule?

should we write HERE in this Thread, or in the other one --------------> IN PHUKET NEWS ??

sry mates but I am confused......NOPE, not by nature :o

was lucky, (hopefully) my friend will arrive TOMORROW morning with an internatioal flight from Europe, hope HKT is open than.....hate to eat my incoming cheese and chocolate when if its rotten after a busjourney of 14hours :D

@ huggy, IF I am a tourist, in the moment I wont count on AirAsia Flights to anywhere. As far as I know it`s still owned by the former Fuehrer Khun Thaksin.....may be the PAD knows that too.

THANKS NBT news

I have just returned from the airport road block - at 12:45 when I asked them if the a/port was opening soon they said "No", when I said NBT television announced the reopening, I was told "A'port Closed not opening"

Now unless the powers that be have forgotten to tell it's members then I have to say that as of a few minutes ago the road to the a/port is still closed.

Now unless the powers that be have forgotten to tell it's members then I have to say that as of a few minutes ago the road to the a/port is still closed.

Thanks for that news too LeungKen, guess we will not know what really happend before the first plane arrives or start from HKT.

Not directly Topic, but I hope this time the government will learn and finally build a railway from Surat to Phuket......sometimes I forget I am living in Thailand :o ...guess finally the MASTERS OF THE WHEELS will sabotage the Train.

I have just returned from the airport road block - at 12:45 when I asked them if the a/port was opening soon they said "No", when I said NBT television announced the reopening, I was told "A'port Closed not opening"

If the airport does open, there's gonna be some interesting times with the younger, drunker members of PAD.

@ huggy, IF I am a tourist, in the moment I wont count on AirAsia Flights to anywhere. As far as I know it`s still owned by the former Fuehrer Khun Thaksin.....may be the PAD knows that too.

THANKS NBT news

Air Asia is an Malaysian company, 20% owned by Virgin and 10 % from Manchester United FC, and various other companies, had a look at there shareholders list.

13.45:

THE AIRPORT IS OPEN!

I just got back from the airport. It has re-opened, with all traffic going via the VIP entrance, (just by my hotel!). The main gates are still locked with PAD protesters outside.

According to the flight TV screens, first flight is due in from BKK at about 15.30 and first flights out at around 16.30. I saw destinations of BKK, KL, Singapore and Incheon (Korea).

It is mandatory if you travel to the airport via the VIP entrance, that you stop by my hotel and say hallo!! :o

Simon

THANKS NBT news

Air Asia is an Malaysian company, 20% owned by Virgin and 10 % from Manchester United FC, and various other companies, had a look at there shareholders list.

That's a good enough reason not to use the airline.

letZ wait for the FIRST Plane anyway....

latest news from Phuket Gazette at 13:30

Phuket Airport still locked down

PHUKET: Phuket International Airport continues closed. An airport official who asked not to be named told the Gazette this afternoon that although the furor of the protestors has abated somewhat, the mob''s dedication to keeping the airport closed remains firm.

The same trusted source notes that it is not possible for airport management to make an estimate as to when the facility might be open again.

The number of outbound tourists unable to leave Phuket province is now estimated to exceed 15,000.

The international airport in neighboring Krabi province also remains under siege.

THAI Airways is telling stranded Phuket-bound passengers in Bangkok that the airport in Surathani province, approximately two hours by bus from Phuket, "may reopen" later this afternoon.