Udon And Vientiane Bus And Visa Questions

dtag

I am needing to go from Chiang Mai to Vientiane for visa. There is a lot posted on visa trips already, but little about the buses direct from udon to vientiane. I already have a Lao visa so I should be able to get on this bus. I am planning on leaving CM to Udon on Tuesday evening. I should arrive in Udon around 8 am I believe. Then as far as I know I go to a different bus station and board the bus diect to Vientiane. How difficult is it to get between the bus stations? I am assuming there will be tuk tuks all over like everywhere else in Thailand.

What are my odds of actually getting to the Thai embassy and getting processed on Wednesday morning if I do this? If so, would I get my visa on Thursday afternoon? If I do not arrive there on time, but go in first thing Thursday morning, will I definately get my visa on Friday?

I am needing to go from Chiang Mai to Vientiane for visa. There is a lot posted on visa trips already, but little about the buses direct from udon to vientiane. I already have a Lao visa so I should be able to get on this bus. I am planning on leaving CM to Udon on Tuesday evening. I should arrive in Udon around 8 am I believe. Then as far as I know I go to a different bus station and board the bus diect to Vientiane. How difficult is it to get between the bus stations? I am assuming there will be tuk tuks all over like everywhere else in Thailand.

What are my odds of actually getting to the Thai embassy and getting processed on Wednesday morning if I do this? If so, would I get my visa on Thursday afternoon? If I do not arrive there on time, but go in first thing Thursday morning, will I definately get my visa on Friday?

Can only tell you this: the Lao Thai friendship bus from Udon to VTE takes only passengers with Lao visa, so no problem for you,but I can not say this enough on this forum.

Last time, I went Udon to VTE, I arrived about two hours before the bust started out (I think it goes at 10 or 10:30). I went to the counter and bought the last ticket. It is getting more and more busy, so be in time.

I am not sure, but I think that the bus from CNX arrives in the same station as the one going to VTE.

You may not need to rush in in Udon. The consulate stops taking applications at noon. Sounds to me like you won't make it.

No problem to get it on Friday.

I flew into Udon airport last March (6am from bkk - arriving udon at 7am), bought a ticket for a minibus (big van) to the border for 100-150 baht I believe. 45-60 minutes. Got out, walked through immigration, took the friendship bus across the Mekong, bought my Lao visa (15 min.) and walked through. Paid a pick-up truck guy around 120 baht to take me to the Thai embassy/consulate where I submitted (already filled out) documents for my TV before the mid-day cut-off. Went to the hotel for 50 baht, enjoyed VTE, picked up my 2x visa the next day, missed the VTE - nong khai bus (sold out already) so pooled with 5 Lao folk to take a big tuk-tuk to the border. Took a minibus to UDON, flew away back to BKK. 2 days - 1 night. I'm headed back up there this weekend, just for an expensive visa run/vacation. Nice place.

As previously stated, if the bus leaves at 10am it is very unlikely you will make the noon cut off at the Embassy but if you get a bus to NK (bus station near Tesco Lotus) 9am or before and a tuk tuk to the bridge then a taxi to VTE you should be OK.

Edited by UdonRoy