100 Things You Didn't Know About Expats

qwertz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet there are more downsides in germany than thailand

So what is your point here ? When was the last time you lived in or even visited Germany ? More to the point and the post , what countries surounding Thailand have you lived in to compare differences in standard of living , how did the locals treat you , what was your comparative cost of living , how disconcerting were the barriers presented by all levels of government to make your stay un-comfortable , etc etc .

I do not think expats who have chosen to spend thier days in Thailand give a monkeys uncle about the state of affairs in most other countries , i think it is a great help when respondents stick close to the point so most of us do not have to wade through so much B##L to get to the nitty-gritty .

many come to fulfill their secret wishes and fantasies

many come to escape their past lives and even debts,

many come out of love and respect for their thai partners

many burn their bridges and are scared of the ridicule in returning to their home countries,

but I think no one could settle in thailand without the financial security and pensions they have accumulated in their working lives, in those home countries,

If you mean the winters, yes.

Finding work and and having no visa complications are a plus though.

I had to laugh at that one....... as a Brit, who´s lived in Berlin for the past 32 years, let me point out that it´s nigh on impossible to find another job, if you lose the one you have........ at least one that pays more than about 4,50 Euro per hour!!!! You´ve had it till pension time if you become unemployed. I, together with my Thai wife, have a reasonable job managing property. However, I would have to continue working till the age of 65 and a few months if we wanted to stay in Germany. There´s no way I´m going to do that..... a perfectly viable alternative, however, is to move to Thailand in 3 years time and live on savings as well as payouts from insurance policies which will then begin to mature. Even with these, we would be hard pushed to be able to live in Berlin without working...hence our reason for moving to Thailand...plus I hate the lousy winters here!!!!!!

For those without the above financial reasons for coming to Thailand, many like myself have gotten sick of it really fast, even though I thought it would be sublime to live here when I first came.

There are a lot dull farangs out there that seem to be constantly suprised and enchanted by Thailand even though they've been here 20 years or something. I've found the country to be really monotonous and predictable after a year, and now it's just a hot, smelly place with self-absorbed people. I fear that in earlier times, I would have been a benevolent colonist rather than a siamophile...

Many settle, just as many become disenchanted.

What makes them keep coming, despite the hurdles?

Wouldn't it be easier to break new ground in neighbouring lands nowadays.

There are negatives in any country and/or city. No place is 100% perfect.

It depends on the individual. I add up all of the positives and the negatives and if the positives outweigh the negatives then it's fine where I'm at.

For those without the above financial reasons for coming to Thailand, many like myself have gotten sick of it really fast, even though I thought it would be sublime to live here when I first came.

There are a lot dull farangs out there that seem to be constantly suprised and enchanted by Thailand even though they've been here 20 years or something. I've found the country to be really monotonous and predictable after a year, and now it's just a hot, smelly place with self-absorbed people. I fear that in earlier times, I would have been a benevolent colonist rather than a siamophile...

so dont come back ,i promise we will not miss you. :o

This begs the question, why are you still here (if indeed you are)?

• They are all rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams and will never need to work (teach) another day in their life again.
  • They used to be a model and can get any Thai girl they choose.
  • They are the best dam_n motor scooter divers anyone has ever laid eyes on.
  • They know it all (apparent from all the information found here on TV).

THere are many great places in the world, and all offer their own charms. I am American, and I love the US for many reasons ranging from the food, the channels on television, the people, the scenic beauty, and so on.

But I also love Thailand. It so happens that my work brought me here, and the opportunity was too good to pass up. So I have a financial stake here. But beyond that, I like the less-frenetic lifestyle (excepting Bangkok traffic), the friendly people, the food, the cost-of living, and the comparatively large number of women who find me alluring (at least, large when compared with the number of US or Europen women who find me alluring).

If my work took me to Bangladesh or even Nigeria, I would be there instead. But as long as my work has brought me here, I have to thank my lucky stars that I enjoy the country as much as I do.

:o

I had to laugh at that one....... as a Brit, who´s lived in Berlin for the past 32 years, let me point out that it´s nigh on impossible to find another job, if you lose the one you have........ at least one that pays more than about 4,50 Euro per hour!!!! You´ve had it till pension time if you become unemployed. I, together with my Thai wife, have a reasonable job managing property. However, I would have to continue working till the age of 65 and a few months if we wanted to stay in Germany. There´s no way I´m going to do that..... a perfectly viable alternative, however, is to move to Thailand in 3 years time and live on savings as well as payouts from insurance policies which will then begin to mature. Even with these, we would be hard pushed to be able to live in Berlin without working...hence our reason for moving to Thailand...plus I hate the lousy winters here!!!!!!

What a load of Twonk, you have obviously got no trade, no problems getting work in Germany, I was there on holiday last year ,in the space of 7 weeks I was offered 3 different well paid jobs in my trade , if I wanted to come out of retirement, after 32 years you should get a fantastic german state pension , I only worked in germany for 19 years but I kept up the minimum payments to my german and uk pensions I retired at 59 , 6years ago and even thoughI live in australia and have to pay 49% tax on my overseas pensions I could even comfortably live on Ku,Damm if I wanted too :D

What a load of Twonk, you have obviously got no trade, no problems getting work in Germany, I was there on holiday last year ,in the space of 7 weeks I was offered 3 different well paid jobs in my trade , if I wanted to come out of retirement, after 32 years you should get a fantastic german state pension , I only worked in germany for 19 years but I kept up the minimum payments to my german and uk pensions I retired at 59 , 6years ago and even thoughI live in australia and have to pay 49% tax on my overseas pensions I could even comfortably live on Ku,Damm if I wanted too :D

A load of Twonk??? :D I like the expression..... :D everyone has their own tale to tell...... you are one of the lucky pensioners, who benefited from a good pension, before the state started cutting back on everything....... I have always been self-employed. Anyhow, I maintain that the average person in Germany (and in other european countries nowadays) will have a very hard time getting a new, well-paid job, after he has turned 45........... I see it all around me (I used to be a spy, by the way... became redundant when the Wall came down!!!!)

Im just going to remind everyone to stay civil, no attacks, no flamings

everyone is entitled to their choice - be it to stay or to leave

and that includes the choice to moan and whinge.

have a nice Monday everyone

Nignoy speaks for me.

I've lived and worked in Germany as a freelance translator and interpreter for some 18 years now and the work finds me.

I repeat, there is no hassle for a Brit who want to work here, has skills to offer and paays the dues.

I note that several posters voice the the same thoughts as mine - why do so many expats hang on in Thailand when they find

it's not the paradise they expected?

As Mrs Nignoy always tells everyone, autumn and winter and seafood on Bribie, then October till end of march off to Isaan for some peace and quiet, if we get withdrawal symptoms,we pop down to Phuket or Penang for a week or two, sadly getting rid of the Bsa,s this year, so going to make plantpots out of our Helmets, over the last couple of years the mrs likes the idea of living her winters in malaysia and only using using Bribie for 4 weeks holiday a year, my good lady is english by the way, and has no rose coloured glasses she actually enjoys and always looks forward to her village stays,so far we havent been asked to finance any deals, pay for sick buffalos to have plastic surgery, but we do always seem to have a houseful when she is making welshcakes or pikeletts,so if you happen to come across Victor Meldrew and Nora Batty lookalikes at the market in Mukdaharn , say hello it is only US :o

I beg to differ with those who say it's impossible to make money here, hence you can only come with an already established financial stake.

I came here nearly four years ago on a western salary. I left that job three weeks ago, and am starting in a better paid role in Bangkok in October. In addition, virtually all of my retirement nest egg has been accumulated since being in Thailand, thanks to the fact that low costs make it much easier to save money in a systematically aggressive way.

I beg to differ with those who say it's impossible to make money here, hence you can only come with an already established financial stake.

I came here nearly four years ago on a western salary. I left that job three weeks ago, and am starting in a better paid role in Bangkok in October. In addition, virtually all of my retirement nest egg has been accumulated since being in Thailand, thanks to the fact that low costs make it much easier to save money in a systematically aggressive way.

I disagree too but was quite surprised when I did make money.

Can we now have a "100 things you didnt knowabout 100 things" post pls?

I disagree too but was quite surprised when I did make money.

Can we now have a "100 things you didnt knowabout 100 things" post pls?

I did not know there were so many adults living off their familis money or so many families were paying to keep their adult children away :o

but I think no one could settle in thailand without the financial security and pensions they have accumulated in their working lives, in those home countries,

Whta has money from the country got to do with it. My salary in Thailand is over 100,000 baht /month. Its enough to live a simple but comfortable life here. Many expats of course are on much better packages.

Many settle, just as many become disenchanted.

What makes them keep coming, despite the hurdles?

Wouldn't it be easier to break new ground in neighbouring lands nowadays.

What makes them keep coming is that they haven't lived in Thailand before. Once they are living in the country that is when the rose tinted specs come off and reality settles in.

Then the question becomes "What makes them stay despite the hurdles?".

Then the answers range from the burnt bridge syndromers to those that face reality knowing that everywhere on Earth has it's good and bad sides. As long as the good outweighs the bad by a reasonable margin you've got yourself a good deal.

As for the second question regarding breaking new ground in neighbouring countries I think, with certain exceptions, it is the lack of a comfortable supporting infrastructure that keeps most focussed on Thailand. Let's face it, most people like to have others of their own nationality and background at least in the vicinity so they have a source of information to fall back on when problems arise. Yes there are those that boldly go where none have gone before but they are in the minority. The other major draw is the relatively well developed infrastructure of Thailand compared with other developing nations in the region, healthcare being top of the list.

I have been using my job to check out the options for that time when I hang my site boots up for the last time. My short list was Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Viet Nam with a temptation to give Cambodia a shot. Having lived in all but Cambodia I still prefer Thailand with VN coming in a strong second. Prime reason is that Thailand is Asian enough to be Asia but with a halfway decent supporting infrastructure and a lower cost of living than Malaysia and Singapore. I like it here in central VN as costs are very low (but inflation is 25 - 35% and rising) but one experience with a local hospital is something I don't want to repeat.