State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

Sister of slain government supporter files complaint against PAD leaders

The sister of a government supporter killed during a clash with protesters early Tuesday filed a complaint with police against six leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Chaba Singhaklangpol, 70, the sister of Narongsak Korbthaisong, filed the complaint at the Nangloeng police station.

She accused the six leaders of organizing protests, leading to the clash and death of her brother.

The six are Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiart Pongpaiboon, Pipop Thongchai, Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul and Suriyasai Katasila.

The Nation

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sister of a government supporter killed during a clash with protesters early Tuesday filed a complaint with police against six leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Chaba Singhaklangpol, 70, the sister of Narongsak Korbthaisong, filed the complaint at the Nangloeng police station.

She accused the six leaders of organizing protests, leading to the clash and death of her brother.

The six are Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiart Pongpaiboon, Pipop Thongchai, Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul and Suriyasai Katasila.

The Nation

wonder whats gone under the table for this

Nowhere in "new politics" [do] they talk about non-voting. On the contrary, in addition to simple voting, people will get a chance to actually BE in parlament, not watch in [sic] on TV once a year.

In BP's interview Sondhi said that if they get 20% of parlament [sic] filled by real people, not politicians, it would be a victory for PAD.

The PAD's "new politics" is equatable with a dictatorship of the privileged over the majority. 'New politics' is another PAD-style catch-phrase/platitude designed to propagandize people with its veneer of "credibility". Nonetheless, Plus, a toast to your persistence as a stalwart-PAD supporter on this forum.

'new politics' I would be interested to know what other countries are using this system successfully?. hmmm I guess Myanmar is a good example of Sondhi's ideas for politics in Thailand.

PM: Govt to inform referendum to public in 30 days

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej said in a radio interview with economist and programme host Veera Thirapat on Thursday afternoon that the government will take 30 days to inform the public about the referendum on the government’s future.

Full Story at: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130387

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej said in a radio interview with economist and programme host Veera Thirapat on Thursday afternoon that the government will take 30 days to inform the public about the referendum on the government's future.

well thats takes us well into the high season good luck to all hotels and bars

The Nation

Right on scedule.

I wonder which PPP MP's or their lawyers accompanied her to file the complaint.

What about her brother's personal responsability for going near the rally?

He went to PAD's site, not the other way round.

Poor lady is being manipulated in her grieving state. Disgusting!

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej said in a radio interview with economist and programme host Veera Thirapat on Thursday afternoon that the government will take 30 days to inform the public about the referendum on the government’s future.

My horse's ass doesn't need that big a STALL,

but their's seems too.. :o

The Nation

Let's see if I get this correct, this DAAD supporter goes to battle it out with PAD supporters and unfortuneatly for him and his family is killed. So, let's blame the leaders of PAD for organising the rally that the son went to fight against. Only file a complaint if he gets killed. No need to if he harms someone else and manages to come home safely. I get the logic, makes perfect sense.

So in typical local fashion, the next step is for the leaders of the PAD to sue the mother of the slain guy for bringing him into the world in the first place, wherein he would grow up and eventually get killed fighting against the PAD supporters. The leaders would site that they were forced by the government's actions to in fact organise the rally, so the blame in reality should lay with the Government.

This political stuff is tricky, hard to keep on top of things.

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej said in a radio interview with economist and programme host Veera Thirapat on Thursday afternoon that the government will take 30 days to inform the public about the referendum on the government's future.

well thats takes us well into the high season good luck to all hotels and bars

Maybe when some of PAD's well to do supporters start getting hurt they will be making a few phone calls suggesting that things had gone to far.

Hat Yai airport resumes operations

By The Nation

Hat Yai International Airport resumed operations on Thursday after anti-government protesters agreed to stop their blockage at the airport.

A total of 14 flights of all the airlines; Thai International Airways, Air Asia and Nok Air, will provide services in the afternoon, Nat Homassawin, director of Hat Yai Airport said on Thursday.

The protesters blocked the entrances and exits of the airport on Tuesday, making the airport to suspend their operations.

Nat said the two-day suspension of the operations cost us about Bt475,777.50 and the airport paid Bt583,000 to hire security staffs to maintain safety during the protest.

However he said he understood the objectives of the protesters and that is way of their fights.

Meanwhile THAI airliner said in its press release that it already resumed its three direct flights per day between Bangkok and Hat Yai.

The protesters stopped blocking entrance to the Hat Yai International Airport on Thursday morning.

Ekkachai Isaratha, a leader of the protesters, said the demonstrators moved back to rally at the Hat Yai railway station after local businessmen complained that the blockage severely damaged local businesses.

Ekkachai said since the government ignored the rally in the province, most of the protesters would travel to Bangkok to join the demonstration at the Government House.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/04...al_30082580.php

Edited by ubonjoe

Hat Yai airport resumes operations

By The Nation

Hat Yai International Airport resumed operations on Thursday after anti-government protesters agreed to stop their blockage at the airport.

A total of 14 flights of all the airlines; Thai International Airways, Air Asia and Nok Air, will provide services in the afternoon, Nat Homassawin, director of Hat Yai Airport said on Thursday.

The protesters blocked the entrances and exits of the airport on Tuesday, making the airport to suspend their operations.

Nat said the two-day suspension of the operations cost us about Bt475,777.50 and the airport paid Bt583,000 to hire security staffs to maintain safety during the protest.

However he said he understood the objectives of the protesters and that is way of their fights.

Meanwhile THAI airliner said in its press release that it already resumed its three direct flights per day between Bangkok and Hat Yai.

The protesters stopped blocking entrance to the Hat Yai International Airport on Thursday morning.

Ekkachai Isaratha, a leader of the protesters, said the demonstrators moved back to rally at the Hat Yai railway station after local businessmen complained that the blockage severely damaged local businesses.

Ekkachai said since the government ignored the rally in the province, most of the protesters would travel to Bangkok to join the demonstration at the Government House.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/04...al_30082580.php

.583000 thb would pay over 583 per day to 500 staff for two days must have been tripping over each other in that tiny airport.

The Nation

So typical. The people that paid her brother to come to Bangkok, bused him here, armed him and ordered him to attack had nothing to do with his death. What more can be said?

The Nation

So typical. The people that paid her brother to come to Bangkok, bused him here, armed him and ordered him to attack had nothing to do with his death. What more can be said?

:D I'm not sure what you mean. You are assuming it went the way you say; have you proof that the killed 55-year old man was armed and ordered to attack ? :o

LaoPo

There are plenty of suggestions, from "new politics" to banning people who sold their votes to setting a minimum education standard to vote to "no taxes, no say".

At this point I admit I have to agree with Sondhi's personal four point proposal - Samak has to go, and let things run their course while the political reform is implemented.

Your suggestions are VERY dangerous !

1. banning people who sold votes means you have to ban people who accepted them too and that would be a large majority of the Thai people. That does not mean I agree with vote selling/buying. But you have to reform from within the system, not ban people.

2. Setting MINIMUM education standards for voting rights is plain right DISCRIMINATION Sir ! It's the same as discriminating more than 3 Billion people in Asia and seal their mouths bwecause they didn't have proper eduction, for whatever reason... :D

And..WHO the heck is Sondhi that one man can propose 4 (actually more) points to change the political system in the country ? I'd better start another topic to warn for this man and his gang. He's a bloody failed businessman who got bankrupt and therefore started this war....out of revenge, nothing more nothing less...

The man has NO track record of governance and such a man would be allowed to draw a plan for the future of Thailand.....:o

Really ?

LaoPo

Point one

Banning for life from voting is a non starter, possibly for 2 national elections might be valid.

But really the vote BUYER is the real culpret the seller is being manipulated.

Point two

I agree that minimum education rights is like Jim Crow keeping majority black voters

out of the polls ins post civil war USA. It is another non starter.

Point Three

Sondhi as a Thai Citizen has every right to make ANY proposal he likes for a form of government in Thailand.

If he can gather enough support around the idea, he can implement it legaly, as a Thai citizen.

He is free to lobby for the idea also.

This is NOT an argument for or against the current methods in play, just general facts.

I propose that we import south pole penguins and build ice factories for them to stay cool,

to replace the current government and parllement, and pay them with 2 fish per day.

To be weighed by the courts each morning. They will act more civilly and better dressed too.

It is a proposal, are you scared by it,

even if PPP isn't included in the mix?

Seems for the PPP, IDEAS are scarier than most things.

Why else do they try so hard to silence dissenting voices?

I did however notice that increasing public participation in government was one of his DEMANDS, not proposals. Or is he just proposing that the government stand down? And as for lobbying, I would say that commandeering government house, is a pretty strong form of lobby.

In which case, why doesn't he write to him MP, or would they just dismiss him as a nut job.

read here about sondhis vision of foreign politics:

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=732

Could you please share with us who wrote this?

oh, you read my post.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/State-Emerge...58#entry2191658

what you think about my worries about the antidemocratic, right wing, ultra nationalistic PAD and their lunatic leader? once samak is gone they could be a uch bigger problem. specially for foreigners, don't you think so?

btw. the source for this semi war declaration from the PAD, comes from here:

http://www.prachatai.com/05web/th/home/pag...Key=HilightNews

translation here:

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=692

not a print mag but an independent, non-profit, daily web newspaper. look in side the aboutus page

real journalists and academics. they got also censored in the past.

i think it's reliable. much more like the nation. they don't support or favor any party onesided.

i think for any pro-PAD a must read.

the the malaysian star, a publication you trust, quotet this article also.

Thailand was in the greatest danger. The only way was to oust this government first, and form a new government through ‘whatever means’, or else the dispute over the Preah Vihear temple and Thai-Cambodian border would never be solved.

“The only way And then we would order the Defense Ministry to build a naval base at Koh Kut, deploy two battleships there, together with patrol ships, build a runway for F-16 aircraft, abolish the committee which oversees demarcation of overlapping sea areas, and officially declare our own marine map.

Cambodia would be hopping mad, but we would not bother because Cambodia would not have the nerve to fight us. They can make noises and threats because our own people are traitors. But if they see that Thai soldiers have a firm stand, the (new) Thai government has a firm stand, and the Thai people are ready to sacrifice their lives for sovereignty, they will back off.

When we declare all overlapping areas ours, Cambodia will surely protest. But we will not argue. We’ll send our battleships to seize any islands and islets we spot, or anchor our battleships in the overlapping sea territory.

please PAD - Lovers read here.

i can understand that you like this "samak ouk bai" movement, i don't like him too, but do you realy know about what they are up to?

i am very concerned, like about sondhis "war declaration" see above, more in detail i wrote before but got more or less ignored.

anyone with hard evidene to ease my worries and can prove me wrong?

or do just don't care? so don't forget if sondhi, they will close all borders, no border runs.

please reply and tell me simple what you know about the PAD.

The Nation

A good point

Samak: Protest can continue at filthy Govt House

He said the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters, in the meantime, can carry on demonstrating at Government House because he can wait.

The number of protesters at Government House is about 3,000, according to the premier. He said the security forces surrounding the compound will let the demonstrators come out but they cannot re-enter. He said there are protesters who want to leave the place because the conditions there are no longer refreshing and clean.

Full story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130387

This is same link as earlier post with PM: Govt to inform referendum to public in 30 days

Looks like they have just updated the story and kept the same file name.

Edited by ubonjoe

The Nation

Right on scedule.

What else would you expect from the mentally challenged low-lifes associated with the criminal element that passes itself off as the "government" of Thailand - any excuse to try and make mileage at someone else's expense.

PAD should counter this with advise to her and assisting with a typical toxin claim of a few hundred million Bht against PPP for enticing her brother to participate in this rally, knowing full well that their sole role was to confront the PAD and create a violent confrontation to their own ends.

HOW LOW CAN PPP GO?

NOT MUCH LOWER -- but I'm sure they are working away in the background to get to a lower level.

really, has PAD given a reaction yet to the proposal of a referendum?

If not a day has passed with no progress.

Rest assured that the PAD's reaction will be negative. A referendum epitomizes values of democracy. The Peoples' Alliance for Democracy --being inherently undemocratic and hence a misnomer-- could never agree to a referendum, unless it was "supported" by their own propaganda efforts.

The Nation

wonder whats gone under the table for this

Unfortunately, you got it mate, you got it!...Yet another innocent victim , old lady is drawn unknowingly into a bad quarrel of a conflict...so sad I am sorry for them!

The Nation

Let's see if I get this correct, this DAAD supporter goes to battle it out with PAD supporters and unfortuneatly for him and his family is killed. So, let's blame the leaders of PAD for organising the rally that the son went to fight against. Only file a complaint if he gets killed. No need to if he harms someone else and manages to come home safely. I get the logic, makes perfect sense.

So in typical local fashion, the next step is for the leaders of the PAD to sue the mother of the slain guy for bringing him into the world in the first place, wherein he would grow up and eventually get killed fighting against the PAD supporters. The leaders would site that they were forced by the government's actions to in fact organise the rally, so the blame in reality should lay with the Government.

This political stuff is tricky, hard to keep on top of things.

The slain man went near the bridge that PAD occupy. This bridge is actually a public road.

However the PAD leaders were so infuriated by this that they ordered men - heavily armed men - to rush into battle. None of this is disputed by PAD .

Ok you may say he had no right to venture onto a public road in Bangkok - because by right of might PAD leadership decides who can or cannot travel anywhere - and perhaps that is true under the new politics that PAD envisions.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/030908_News/03Sep2008_news06.php

[i] Upon learning the UDD had marched to the PAD's protest site at the bridge, PAD core member Somsak Kosaisuk immediately ordered demonstrators to rush to the Makkhawan Rangsan site from Government House. [/i]

The PAD demonstrators, mostly young men armed with knives, wooden clubs, golf clubs and iron bars, reinforced PAD guards, numbering about 1,000, at the bridge to protect their protest site.

the UDD, which was outnumbered by the PAD, suffered casualties. The dead man was identified as UDD member Narongsak Krobthaisong, 55.

It's interesting isn't it that the first person to die in these tensions was not a PAD supporter. Hmmm and I dont see in any of the pictures from the incident on Tuesday PAD using self defence techniques more like clubbing the opposition to death.

The opposition that got clubbed wasn't anywhere around for at least a hundred days, then decided to set up camp nearby, were intoxicated and WALKED TOWARDS the PAD rally weapons in hand, escorted by police with no resistance whatsoever, conveniently, the State of Emergency was declared once one was killed and 40 some hurt.

F* self-defence when a group intentionally marches towards and attacks an immobile group with deadly weapons.

Had they remained in Sanam Luang, none of this would have happened, it was clearly coordinated between police/DAAD/govt. to declare a State of Emergency which has had absolutely no purpose since then.

really, has PAD given a reaction yet to the proposal of a referendum?

If not a day has passed with no progress.

I hope they have the panache to go for it. It would be a momentous piece of direct democracy. History-making really.

They could win a referendum for sure.

I don't think that PAD can win the referendum, because the PPP probably has more money to buy votes. Plus they control the TV channels. Sondhi has no access to the regular TV channels (only his satelite ASTV, which most people in the North don't get to see)

Even of PAD did win a referendum, Samaks buddies would just run again in their new, already created party and buy votes once more.

By the way, I predicted the referendum announcement last night already, when others thought he was going to announce that he would step down. Samak and his henchmen have been quite predictable through this whole thing.

Too much rice - not enough Protein

i can understand that you like this "samak ouk bai" movement, i don't like him too, but do you realy know about what they are up to?

i am very concerned, like about sondhis "war declaration" see above, more in detail i wrote before but got more or less ignored.

anyone with hard evidene to ease my worries and can prove me wrong?

or do just don't care? so don't forget if sondhi, they will close all borders, no border runs.

please reply and tell me simple what you know about the PAD.

Your post cannot be more true.

Reading some post from pro-PAD farang, I understand that they support Sondhi claims against Cambodia.

To say the truth, as long as Sondhi is not mute (maybe = in jail), as long as Jet Bunnag will not be back in charge, I do not see how the war could be avoided. Weak gvt + no professional diplomat + the army acting without care on the border + Sondhi adding fuel to the flames = war.

Anyway, Thai people (at least the PAD ones) are so excited and so frustrated that only a war could calm them.

This was just posted by the Nation...

Six coalition parties supports referendum vote

Key MPs from the six coalition parties have concluded a meeting and decided to endorse a government's proposal to hold a national referendum as a way to end the political unrest.

The MPs express willingness to act as a gobetween to try and convince the People's Alliance for Democracy to go along with the idea.

The MPs include Peerapan Palusuk of People Power Party, Ekkapot Panyaem of Chart Thai, Somchai Charoenchairit of Pracharat, Kiatikorn Pakpiansilp of Matchima Thipataya, Alongkot Maneekat of Puea Pandin and Wasulee Suwanpalisut of Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana.

Peerapan said the people should be the final judge to decide on their own future. The referendum outcome would be a reliable guide on how the unrest should end.

The Nation

...I would say, if the government is willing to level the playing field and give the PAD equal access to the regular TV channels, then this would be a fair referendum. Otherwise, it's just a farce, another Samak scam

Too much rice - not enough Protein

The Nation

Right on scedule.

No- what is disgusting is the use of her understandable grief and reaction (blame and the urge for retribution- justified or not, is as old as mankind) to further one's own political agenda. No matter which side is doing it. With NO evidence whatsoever, to state categorically- as fact- that the PPP has a hand in her decision- is disgusting.

Edited by blaze

It is quite clear the PAD phenominon has gone WAY beyond the leaders individual issues.

It is now a wide reaching umbrella for many Thais who's voices have been ignored by the

incumbent clique installed by Thaksin.

So harp on the leaders all you like, that will do SQUAT to convert the little people

joining them to convert to your 'PPP right or wrong' agenda's. It has truly become

a social movement against corruption and the status quo.

As far as I can see, "anti-corruption" has very little to do with PAD. It's an "anti-Thaksin and his followers"-movement, and corruption is unfortunately not at all limited to Thaksin and his gang. Hard to claim "anti-corruption" when PAD leadership has its own dirty track-record. Just study the history of Sondhi for instance.

There is a mix of interests in the PAD leadership joined by their dislike of Thaksin and his followers. None of them seem very keen on the one-man-one-vote principle. Wonder how well they would work together if they actually had to manage something, i.e. do something else than protesting. I would guess that they would soon start fighting each other, too big egos in there.

The world has seen a number of strong nationalistic movements that went all bad, sometimes much supported by "little people". I am worried to see the types heading the PAD and the momentum they are getting. see for instance PAD at Wikipedia

Does not bode well at all.