I'm Curious What You All Do For Work

Im just wondering, for those of you living in Thailand, what do you do for work? I know a larger percentage of people are retired but what about the younger people out there. Do most of you hold some kind of expat office job, and what kind of education do you have for this? The kind of jobs that one could hold in Thailand seem pretty limited by looking at the requirments for a working visa. I myself am a welder living in Canada, but I met a wonderful girl while travelling / on vacation in Thailand who I ended up marrying. I managed to live with her for 5 months purely on savings, but the only expenses / ties I have back home is a 600 dollar a month truck payment. Now she is comming to live with me in Canada.

We talk about one day moving to Thailand and perhaps opening a restaurant or something. Opening a buisness is really the only way I could see that I would be able to live in Thailand. I don't think I could / would be able to do anything in welding, even if I had my own buisness I think it would be hard to compete with what the locals charge / make. For the time though I think we would be much better off living in Canada, right now the money is very good in welding. Even by working 10 months in Canada and spending 2 months of the year in Thailand I think we would be much better off. Id like to by a house in Thailand so that staying a few months a year would be rather inexpensive. One day I think I would like to have a go at living in Thailand though, you know try something different. Still the only way I could see is possible opening a restaurant / pub. Personally I would rather stay in Canada than Bangkok, but much rather stay somewhere in the south near a beach than Canada. However, my wife seems to think the only place we would be succesful is in Bangkok. I dont have any plans on going any time soon, Im only 21 and my wife 26 (how many farungs do you see with older thai wifes?). Obviously I would do alot of research into what I was going to get into, but I'm just curious how many of you out there are buisness owners and how you made out with it. Also curious what the rest of you do.

Do a wedling or similar QA/QC course in Canada and you have the possibility to get yourself an expat job here or in the region as a welding inspector.

Very difficult to get these sorts of jobs, and the jobs mainly go to locals as they want a lot less money than expats

In the QA/QC/welding side of things you need to be at managerial level with a lot of applicable experience...

To answer the original question.....Offshore Oil & Gas

You are only 21. Work hard in Canada, save your money and come over in 10-15 years, (at least), with a secure financial cushion to fall back on.

I agree with Nidge although I would add if you know where you want to live buy a piece of land and when you come back permanent build on your land. Land typically increases in price faster than building does.

You are at a ideal age for making big bucks, do that and save as much as you can while you are young and can work your butt off. Then come to LOS build your house and enjoy life. :o

You are only 21. Work hard in Canada, save your money and come over in 10-15 years, (at least), with a secure financial cushion to fall back on.

Wise words, IMO.

I know a lot of guys that come to live and work in Thailand, young. The lifestyle, weather, and everything is great. It becomes hard for some to go back to the West, because many don't want to return.

If you save and plan ahead in your younger years you can set yourself up to have a very good position in LOS in the future.

Up to you of course.

Or you could come to Thailand for a year before going back, or find a job (as noted above) where you could get more time off to come to LOS for longer holidays.

There are.....ways to do it.

Do a wedling or similar QA/QC course in Canada and you have the possibility to get yourself an expat job here or in the region as a welding inspector.

Very difficult to get these sorts of jobs, and the jobs mainly go to locals as they want a lot less money than expats

In the QA/QC/welding side of things you need to be at managerial level with a lot of applicable experience...

To answer the original question.....Offshore Oil & Gas

Agreed. Get your QA/QC qualifications plus ten years experience then move into the international oil & gas contracting business, QA side probably being your best bet, and base yourself in Thailand working elsewhere worldwide. It does mean you will be away from wife and family for periods depending on leave cycles and you will end up working in some of the world's loveliest sh1tholes but you'll be making big bucks (tax free if you play your cards right).

Don't get me wrong, I have no plans of moving to Thailand any time soon, if at all. I was curious to see what options would be available to me if I did want to go there later in my life, so thanks for the replies. I would like to buy some land in Thailand in the next few years like someone mentioned, as land does tend to increase in value. I could build a house later on when I have money for it. I think this would be great as it would give us a place to stay while on vacation in Thailand and also if I did decide to move there.

I was talking to my wife last night and she said she was talking to her brother in law, who aparantly does some kind of work similar to me. He said there are farungs working at his work and they can make the same kind of money as back home. I also talked to someone at my work once (before I first went to Thailand) who said he lived there for 5 years working at some LNG plant and also taught welding there. I think this was some time ago (15+ years) but he also said he was considering moving there with his family (Thai wife) again. Still, I dont know, the guys I saw welding in Thailand wore sunglasses (if that) and I imagine there wages are less then 10, 000 a month. I imagine in the oil and gas industry it would be much more profesional with higher wages but I still can't see them hiring a farung and paying him alot more then a Thai would make.

Just become a deck hand on an Alaskan sea trawler crab fishing in the bearing sea. Work for a few months of grueling 30 hour days in the most dangerous job in the world, but you'll make $50,000.00 to head to Thailand and live like a king until next season.
No thanks! I think I'll have to pass. I can make 15 grand a month in alberta (when I get my inter-provincial ticket) and the work is relatively safe and easy. Wouldnt be to bad to work there for a few months and go to Thailand for 6 months though! It would be pretty feasable if I were to buy a house there first, until the price of airplane tickets becomes to expensive.

Im just wondering, for those of you living in Thailand, what do you do for work? I know a larger percentage of people are retired but what about the younger people out there. Do most of you hold some kind of expat office job, and what kind of education do you have for this? The kind of jobs that one could hold in Thailand seem pretty limited by looking at the requirments for a working visa. I myself am a welder living in Canada, but I met a wonderful girl while travelling / on vacation in Thailand who I ended up marrying. I managed to live with her for 5 months purely on savings, but the only expenses / ties I have back home is a 600 dollar a month truck payment. Now she is comming to live with me in Canada.

We talk about one day moving to Thailand and perhaps opening a restaurant or something. Opening a buisness is really the only way I could see that I would be able to live in Thailand. I don't think I could / would be able to do anything in welding, even if I had my own buisness I think it would be hard to compete with what the locals charge / make. For the time though I think we would be much better off living in Canada, right now the money is very good in welding. Even by working 10 months in Canada and spending 2 months of the year in Thailand I think we would be much better off. Id like to by a house in Thailand so that staying a few months a year would be rather inexpensive. One day I think I would like to have a go at living in Thailand though, you know try something different. Still the only way I could see is possible opening a restaurant / pub. Personally I would rather stay in Canada than Bangkok, but much rather stay somewhere in the south near a beach than Canada. However, my wife seems to think the only place we would be succesful is in Bangkok. I dont have any plans on going any time soon, Im only 21 and my wife 26 (how many farungs do you see with older thai wifes?). Obviously I would do alot of research into what I was going to get into, but I'm just curious how many of you out there are buisness owners and how you made out with it. Also curious what the rest of you do.

not an expert but am expat. you will be competing with thais, this puts you at a disadvantage. as long as you know that going you may find something, but have worked along side many with your skill set. my opinion, for what its worth: go where the money is. you can come here later when you have some...

Don't get me wrong, I have no plans of moving to Thailand any time soon, if at all. I was curious to see what options would be available to me if I did want to go there later in my life, so thanks for the replies. I would like to buy some land in Thailand in the next few years like someone mentioned, as land does tend to increase in value. I could build a house later on when I have money for it. I think this would be great as it would give us a place to stay while on vacation in Thailand and also if I did decide to move there.

I was talking to my wife last night and she said she was talking to her brother in law, who aparantly does some kind of work similar to me. He said there are farungs working at his work and they can make the same kind of money as back home. I also talked to someone at my work once (before I first went to Thailand) who said he lived there for 5 years working at some LNG plant and also taught welding there. I think this was some time ago (15+ years) but he also said he was considering moving there with his family (Thai wife) again. Still, I dont know, the guys I saw welding in Thailand wore sunglasses (if that) and I imagine there wages are less then 10, 000 a month. I imagine in the oil and gas industry it would be much more profesional with higher wages but I still can't see them hiring a farung and paying him alot more then a Thai would make.

[...

There is no LNG plant currently operating in Thailand (there is a LNG terminal under construction in Map Ta Phut). It was probably the LPG terminal in Sri Racha.

There is no chance of being a welder or inspector in Thailand, all done by locals. All welding schools are now taught by locals.

If you have some real technical knowledge, you can become a “welding engineer” and get an expat position for a MNC engineering & construction or operating company. May not be in initially in Thailand, but you get R&R’s and can spend some time in Thailand each year. After you get good contacts in the industry, you might luck into a job in Thailand.

Yes you are correct, Offshore Oil and Gas in Thailand is getting harder and harder by the year for the farangs working in it due to nationalisation. Your best bet is to work somewhere else (contracts/rotations) and base in Thailand

Do a welding or similar QA/QC course in Canada and you have the possibility to get yourself an expat job here or in the region as a welding inspector.

And do some Safety courses as well.

You'll need to get some experience before you come here, but you seem to be thinking long term anyway which shows you've got your head screwed on right.

It's all going to depend on where the work is in the world when you're ready to move. At the moment Thailand and many other places are booming but if the price of oil goes back to $10 a barrel you'll be struggling to find a job.

Good luck

Do a welding or similar QA/QC course in Canada and you have the possibility to get yourself an expat job here or in the region as a welding inspector.

And do some Safety courses as well.

You'll need to get some experience before you come here, but you seem to be thinking long term anyway which shows you've got your head screwed on right.

It's all going to depend on where the work is in the world when you're ready to move. At the moment Thailand and many other places are booming but if the price of oil goes back to $10 a barrel you'll be struggling to find a job.

Good luck

Not in my life time... :o ...there will be corrections as we are seeing now, US$ is recovering, oil prices will drop..but the demand is still there...

Work a year or so to save up for the commercial diving courses. They are expensive, but one of my customers is Mermaid offshore training center (who put some of their students in my resort while doing their courses). www.twisea.com

You have to spend a bunch of cash and energy/study, but when you get to work in that business you'll make good money. Lots of the divers and their support teams are on a 6 week rotation base, which suits young people very well.

While working keep studying and try to get into safety, this will ensure a career when you're getting too old to do the hard diving work.

If you'll ever make it into saturation diving, the big bucks will roll in, but spend little and invest wisely, since you won't do that job for a very long time!

Have enough money to build a house when you arrive so no worries about rent. Depending where you want to live you can build for as little as 10,000 dollars or so Im led to believe. Buy a car so transport is covered. Now having a Thai wife will give you a big advantage if you want to open a restaurant or a bar, although not advised if not experienced but if you have back up money you can learn on the job after all its not rocket science. If its successful you should have enough to live on but don't expect to be driving a new merc anytime soon. It all depends on what your goals are

You are very young which is both good (time on your side) and bad (lack of experience). Here is how it worked for me:

In January 1995 I had been working 2 years for an inspection and certification company (ISO 9001 was very big then). This company had overseas offices and I applied for a job in some of them with the person in charge for international coordination. Six months later I was in Bangkok (I was actually aiming for Vietnam) and worked there until recently, about 13 years.

What I'm saying is that if you research a bit what Canadian companies (or US companies if that would work) are stationed in Thailand or nearby, you can talk to them whether they are looking for expats to work there. For example my company does a lot of business related to the European pressure equipment directive which also involves welder qualification and non-destructive testing of pressure equipment.

You can get much better conditions when you start in your homeland and are sent overseas. With luck you might even be covered by the labour protection mechanisms that would cover you at home.

If you can (since you're young), look for trainee positions in Thailand or Asia. Valuable experience and contacts can be made this way. Upgrade to become a certified welding engineer. One interesting thing is that speaking the local (Thai) language is not important if you go this route, although it can never harm.

Carefully consider this: Once you are there and want to stay there, you are limiting yourself quite a bit. People do the craziest things in the end just to stay in Thailand (or other countries, mostly those where they met their partner/spouse). Hence the advice above to delay and make money first before moving. It increases your options for the future.

Comfortable living in Thailand requires 60-120,000 Baht a month (cheaper is possible but this is what I found missing from my account at the end of each month). If you have found a way to get this much regularly then you can set yourself up. 800,000 US$ put away at 6% will do the trick, and if you can get a steady 12% then half of that will do.

Now my own question would be, has anyone already done this?

You are very young which is both good (time on your side) and bad (lack of experience). Here is how it worked for me:

In January 1995 I had been working 2 years for an inspection and certification company (ISO 9001 was very big then). This company had overseas offices and I applied for a job in some of them with the person in charge for international coordination. Six months later I was in Bangkok (I was actually aiming for Vietnam) and worked there until recently, about 13 years.

What I'm saying is that if you research a bit what Canadian companies (or US companies if that would work) are stationed in Thailand or nearby, you can talk to them whether they are looking for expats to work there. For example my company does a lot of business related to the European pressure equipment directive which also involves welder qualification and non-destructive testing of pressure equipment.

You can get much better conditions when you start in your homeland and are sent overseas. With luck you might even be covered by the labour protection mechanisms that would cover you at home.

If you can (since you're young), look for trainee positions in Thailand or Asia. Valuable experience and contacts can be made this way. Upgrade to become a certified welding engineer. One interesting thing is that speaking the local (Thai) language is not important if you go this route, although it can never harm.

Carefully consider this: Once you are there and want to stay there, you are limiting yourself quite a bit. People do the craziest things in the end just to stay in Thailand (or other countries, mostly those where they met their partner/spouse). Hence the advice above to delay and make money first before moving. It increases your options for the future.

Comfortable living in Thailand requires 60-120,000 Baht a month (cheaper is possible but this is what I found missing from my account at the end of each month). If you have found a way to get this much regularly then you can set yourself up. 800,000 US$ put away at 6% will do the trick, and if you can get a steady 12% then half of that will do.

Now my own question would be, has anyone already done this?

Just to add a few comments here on this posting and a few others:

1. Trainee postions in Asia and most certainly Thailand are just about impossible for a farang these days, in these sorts of fields there is a stong nationalisation push.

2. The OP seems to have his head on his shoulders, so hope he understands that just by doing a couple courses whether it be welding, Diving, ROV etc does not guarentee him a position anywhere in the world. Courses are one thing experience is a primary requirement as well.

3. With the apparent boom in the Oil & Gas industry worldwide, every man and his dog is jumping on the bandwagon doing Diving, ROV courses etc...the result will be an over supply of "qualified" people and the rates the guys are getting will decrease as people will work for less money just to get the job.

4. The suggestion was made to talk to international companies operating in Thailand. International companies operating here will on the most part use local labour for these sorts of tasks - granted supervisory/management maybe farang, but you only get to those positions with experience.

5. The primary requirement when getting into the international game is having the contacts, 9 times out 10 its who you know, not what you know.

Feel I am pretty well qualified to comment on this as have spent the last 25 years in the inspection,welding, construction supervison, heavy engineering game, the last 7 years in Thailand.

My advice is that seeing Canada has a boom going on in the Oil sands, go and get involved there, whether welding, inspection or what ever, get yourself 5-10 years, then start looking at the international game

:o Most are of the con trade. One form or another.

Very few professionals here and time corrupts most the ones that stay on.

Get a good job and make money at home. The world is changing so are opportunities.

Have a good life and see the world first.

:D

:DMost are of the con trade. One form or another.

Very few professionals here and time corrupts most the ones that stay on.

Get a good job and make money at home. The world is changing so are opportunities.

Have a good life and see the world first.

:D

The best advice so far on this thread IMO. :o

The only way to live here with happiness and sanity is being totally financially independent. Even then it's a stretch sometimes!

Don't judge everyone by your own standards. There are plenty of very solvent expats working in very good careers, making good money and thoroughly enjoying their life in Thailand.

Of course, if you're living in the sewers you will need to lift your head to see the stars.

Doctorate of Audiology, I work in Thailand doing a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and none of that...

Really mostly consultant type work etc.

Pays the bills...

Some one stated you could live like a king for 50K USD. I would hate to be king of whatever country that would be.

If you think you will live the bling bling life off of 50K, forget about it, stay where you are.

50K will give you money in your wallet at all times, but as soon as you try to buy land (lease) nice home, boat, BMW.... my friend you will find that 50K will not get you much more that a Toyota Camry

Doctorate of Audiology, I work in Thailand doing a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and none of that...

Really mostly consultant type work etc.

Pays the bills...

Some one stated you could live like a king for 50K USD. I would hate to be king of whatever country that would be.

If you think you will live the bling bling life off of 50K, forget about it, stay where you are.

50K will give you money in your wallet at all times, but as soon as you try to buy land (lease) nice home, boat, BMW.... my friend you will find that 50K will not get you much more that a Toyota Camry

Yeah right...a very poor king, in a very poor country....as an example the industry I work in in Thailand, the base salaries are in the order of US$ K125-150 p.a. which are basically comparable with anywhere in the world...seeing as the cost of living is reasonably low in Thailand, you can live very well