What To Do With Daughter

DanBlack

Our 12 yr old daughter is off school for 2 months, and their summer program is not suitable. She would like to watch TV and MSN boys all day. I'd like to put her to work, but her Mother thinks she should do something constructive. Anybody have any suggestions

...and MSN boys all day........
As long as those MSN boys are not much older and 'grooming'!

I think what you want is her to do something constructive for a bulk of the time. Allow her a holiday from school work, kids deserve (?) a break like the rest of us - we choose the nature of our work and relaxation time consider the scope of her freedom in the choices she can make.

Is there something she can work on as a project that takes six weeks and is both enjoyable for her, educational in your eyes and quiet. Sorry the last parameter would be my own choice. Could she develop a small area of the garden? Design and construct housing for a pet? Write up a family tree from information extracted from relatives, might hit your phone bill a bit unless you can farm her out to relatives for a few days at a time. Make a photo-journal of the family, with some realitively easy computer skills it could be knocked up in Word as a small book - professionally printed up and bound, give copies to the relavent grandparents etc. Would be good to show the Thai and farang sides of the family, give her an understanding of where she came from.

Learn to juggle, art, sewing, a 'good' computer game, something like the CSI series if suitable for here age?

Swimming, or other sport that could be improved - tie in with any interest in Olympics etc.

Give here a digital camera and set a mini project - not too long or complex. maybe a subject she likes, pet cats?

Very solid things can be built from old newspaper and glue, foster an interest in art with a few examples from web sites of scuplture or 'natural' scuplture.

Are there friends that are in a similar situation?

HTH Let us know how this progresses.

Our 12 yr old daughter is off school for 2 months, and their summer program is not suitable. She would like to watch TV and MSN boys all day. I'd like to put her to work, but her Mother thinks she should do something constructive. Anybody have any suggestions

Work is "something constructive"

Take her to learn a Scuba Diving course, PADI have Junior Open Water, Advance course ++ They have DVD to complement book work, quizzes, exams, water test - lots of fun, safety and of course Biology and Aquatic life.

It will be one of the best summers her ever head and very educational and active.

Sports for sure.

Can she swim? If not, swim lessons are a must, if she can, swim team is quite fun, I did it for 10 years at that same age (6-16).

agree with Devil there DanBlack. you may curse yourself afterwards though, as she will want to dive every weekend after that! (i always liked the after diving car park scenes when i was diving in australia). besides, divers are always good blokes.

How about a little bit of Volunteering? Feed at the temple? Home LIfe project? just to name a few.

Also sports are good. Right now in Kata there are plenty of surf lessons and also diving is a great thing to do.

Working is good, learn a bit early.

Good luck.

My son, is also 12. If it weren't for his involvement in diving, I too would be screaming.

I work as a Hard Hat Diver or Mixed Gas Diver and Scuba for Rec. My son took to it like a fish to water.

I don't suggest you dive right into a class for diving.

First, as a daddy diver, I took my boy snorkeling. For hours. The swimming wore him out.

Expel the energy, or suffer the frustration. My Ex-Wife, who is Thai, just let him mope around

and never do much. Now, he rides his bike all over the Coast in search of perfect snorkeling spots.

He is a shy boy, but really enjoys the exploration of it all. I encourage him with books about the Andaman

Sea Life, and I encourage him to always document and draw what he sees. It is a long term project,

but his hands are always full. Assign tasks, and assign research. Gear toward Surveys of Fish, any dead ones,

try to see when and what they eat. He loves it, and I can't get him to visit with the family anymore. He is always

gone to the beach.

:o jb

If she or other students on holiday, want to be occasional 'Young Reporters' on our English language television program 'Andaman News', reporting on children activities in Phuket, based on their own/parents' or our ideas, email Andaman [email protected] , phone 076 211555 or visit NBT studio on Soi Wachira, Rang Hill in Phuket City, weekdays 8.30am - 5pm. It helps if they can read English and speak Thai quite well.

If she or other students on holiday, want to be occasional 'Young Reporters' on our English language television program 'Andaman News', reporting on children activities in Phuket, based on their own/parents' or our ideas, email Andaman [email protected] , phone 076 211555 or visit NBT studio on Soi Wachira, Rang Hill in Phuket City, weekdays 8.30am - 5pm. It helps if they can read English and speak Thai quite well.

That is right up her alley

• 3 weeks later...

This is latest example of a Young Reporter segment, about a school, but they can be about any club, sport, hobby, event, etc...:

VDO - Young Reporter: Peace Day at Rawai Progressive International School

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=717

Hello! My name is Jakob Chumtong. I am a 5th grade student at Rawai Progressive International School, at our Peace Day parade.

Today (last Friday) at our school, Rawai Progressive International School or RPIS, we are celebrating the United Nations’ International Day of Peace. The purpose of this global holiday is to raise awareness of problems such as war, poverty, disease, animal cruelty and to promote world peace. As part of our peace celebration, we made peace flags and giant dove puppets from reused materials to fly in our parade. The dove has been a symbol for peace and love for centuries. Last Sunday, peace doves were being flown all over the world. In fact, there are many problems big and small. The solution starts with you. Here at RPIS, we are trying to make positive changes in three areas. These are the environment, animals, and the local community. At school, we recycle, compost, save electricity, turn off the water when we are not using it and throw all of our garbage in a trash can. We hope to educate people in the community to do the same. So, if you want to make a difference and increase the peace, the solution starts with you! Remember it is easy to make a difference. Try and find a peaceful solution to your problems. Throw out your trash. Save water. Turn off the lights. Take care of animals by adopting a pet. Increase the Peace. The solution starts with you! This is Jakob Chumtong, Young Reporter for Andaman News on NBT. Bye!

Young Reporter for Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 7pm & 1am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Monday 22 September 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews Send comments to [email protected]