Need Details On Marrying A Thai Citizen

Neole

I would like to know what is the procedure for marriage here, not the wedding ceremony but the legal getting-the-certificate part. I would appreciate the following details -

- Where is the marriage registration office in Bangkok? If multiple ofices, is there one near Rangsit?

- Is it possible to do it on a sunday? Specifically, on this September 14th?

- Is it a one day procedure, meaning do we get the certificate on the same day?

- What documents are required by both parties (foreigner and thai citizen)?

Thanks in advance!

Well the non Thai will need a non impediment to marry which I seem to remember is an embassy thing so hit your embassy website and find out what you need. If divorced I think you need the original paperwork so if you don't have it then you are in for a wait until you do.

I guess a divorced thai would need the divorce paper and their ID card.

Don't know whether open on Sundays or how long in advance you have to book. Contact your local Amphur as that's where the legal part happens.

You need witnesses as well but I guess you could even hire those.

Correct. In Bangkok the amphur office is kalled Ket. You can get marreeid at any amphur or Ket.

Yes, it is a one day procedure. You just register and get a marriage certificate right away. Shouldn't take long, not more than an hour.

The actual time at the amphur office is at most an hour or so. But it may take several days to get the eligible to maryy document from the embassy and then get it translated and certified by the Foreign Affairs office before you go to the amphur.

TH

My experience:

I am a USA citizen, divorced in USA.

I went to USA embassy and got an "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry" or some such nomenclature. I took a copy of a divorce decree with me, but the US Citizen Services did not ask to see it. Really, you are filling out a form, and the embassy is notarizing your signature. This took about one hour at the embassy.

Took this to a translation place on Wittayu Road. He translated the paper, got copies of my passport, wife's ID card, her divorce paper. He, or his courier, took all of this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chiang Wattana. A couple of days later he called me, he had the "permission to marry" paper at his office.

We then took the "permission to marry" paper, along with all of the aforementioned papers, to the "marriage place" at Bangrak. About 1.5 hours there, we are legally married. You can go to any Amphur to do this, once you have the permission to marry paper from MFA. We just walked in, no appointment, not much of a wait.

I very much doubt any Amphur will be open on Sunday.

I would like to know what is the procedure for marriage here, not the wedding ceremony but the legal getting-the-certificate part. I would appreciate the following details -

- Where is the marriage registration office in Bangkok? If multiple ofices, is there one near Rangsit?

- Is it possible to do it on a sunday? Specifically, on this September 14th?

- Is it a one day procedure, meaning do we get the certificate on the same day?

- What documents are required by both parties (foreigner and thai citizen)?

Thanks in advance!

About 40 mins to get married. Providing you have all the documents.

If you want to hurry it up, get some translation agency. They can make the thing happen within 24 hours.

torrenova, Mario2008, thaihome, think_too_mut - Thanks for all the info!

mgjackson69 - Thanks for detailing your experience, I think I will go about it exactly the same way.

I want to do this on a sunday because 14th september is our anniversary and it would be nice to be able to marry on that day (we are not having a wedding ceremony yet). Does anyone know any Amphur open on sundays?

I would highly recommend using a service to get you the paper from Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Most translation services can do this for you also...saves you from having to fight the bureaucracy there.

As I recall, it was not much more cost to have them do that than to just do the translation.

PM me if you would like the name of the service that I used.

torrenova, Mario2008, thaihome, think_too_mut - Thanks for all the info!

mgjackson69 - Thanks for detailing your experience, I think I will go about it exactly the same way.

I want to do this on a sunday because 14th september is our anniversary and it would be nice to be able to marry on that day (we are not having a wedding ceremony yet).

Does anyone know any Amphur open on sundays?

Hi

I understand the Ampur Staff who process such applications do not work on a Sunday.

If the wedding really must be on Sunday the 14th I understand Elvis is avaliable 24/7 for weddings in Las Vegas :o and I wish you both the best of luck wherever and whenever the wedding takes place.

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

Hi Guys,

Having waited for several months for my beautiful fiancee to pick the wedding day, Today she announced : "We go to amphur on monday"

I have obtained my "Affirmation of freedom to marry".

I have been to the Ministry of foreign affairs, and had the affirmation "Legalised" and stamped...

I have a letter from the bangkok bank confirming my address, and photocopies of my passport...

She will have her house papers with her, and her ID.

We went out and bought the ring today... and the closest thing I could find to a decent bottle of champagne...

Is there any other documentation that I need ?

One source says that I need to have my signiture witnessed, and that I will need a letter from the immigration police confirming my address... Is this essential?

any advice would be warmly appreciated... (Except for : "Don't do it..." it's far too late for that!)

Murgatroyd

An australians experience at Umphur Bangrak from a few months ago.

For the Umphur, ensure you have at least 2 copies of both sides of the Thai ID card and any pages of the house card with entries on them, along with copies of the photo page of your passport. They didn’t require photo copies of the entry card or visa page.

At Umphur Bangrak there's a shop a couple of doors down the street with photocopy facilities. No witnesses are needed and the 2 Australian referee details from the stat dec can be used when filling out the marriage paperwork.

They also ask your wife to make 4 photo copies of the marriage paperwork which they then officially stamp so you can use for visas etc at a later date. They also provide a stamped copy of the stat dec and translation. The original stat dec and translation are kept by the Umphur.

Don't forget to take your camera.

At Umphur Bangrak they also provide a nice red or blue folder with your marriage certificates and happily take photos, free of charge. They have a nice area set up with a trishaw and flowers for the photos.

One source says that I need to have my signiture witnessed, and that I will need a letter from the immigration police confirming my address...

Only required letter of freedom to marry from your embassy translated into Thai by approved agency and stamped by Thai Minstry Of Foriegn Affiars in BKK. (Fees vary with embassy and agency used, about 5,000 Baht is typical. You can walk these documents around yourself [save money] or use the agents service and have them mailed to you EMS.) Copy of the main page of your Passport.

Fee for wedding 50 Baht.

No need for witnesses etc.

Certificate issued at the same time.

Can get wife's ID card changed for new married name at the same time. New ID card 20 Baht.

Bride needs ID card and House Book.

I would very much doubt ANY govenement office taht carries out this function will be open on a Sunday - can you wait a year ?

That is all.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting married next month.

I went to the Dindaeng Amphur (I live in this district) to find out what paperwork is needed to get married to a Thai lady (29).

I have a document from my country that I'm single, that was officially translated to Thai and certified by the Thai embassy in my home country. I showed my passport and my GF ID and house book registration. The office clerk said that I need to bring two guarantors (!!, maybe meant witness) and requested my salary slip and work permit. I don't work in Thailand and I never heard anyone needing this to get married.

Is there a website (thai or english) where it is listed what documents people need to get married? (farang - thai)

Should I just go to another amphur as maybe this does not want to do extra work?

By the way they only work from 8:30 - 16:30, Mon - Fri.

Thanks.

I don't know what you have now, but it isn't the right document. What you need is the confirmation to get married document from your embassy.

Your embassy's website will list the requirements. One of the requirements will indeed be to verfy your income.

It is the document from your embassy you need to get translated at an agency and next you have to legalise it at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular department. With the legalised document you go to the amphur to get married. You might need to bring witnesses, but the income will already be verrified by your embassy in the document.

Edit:

Note that you can get married at any amphur. If they don't know how to handle, just choose another district office.

Edited by Mario2008

I don't know what you have now, but it isn't the right document. What you need is the confirmation to get married document from your embassy.

Your embassy's website will list the requirements. One of the requirements will indeed be to verfy your income.

It is the document from your embassy you need to get translated at an agency and next you have to legalise it at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular department. With the legalised document you go to the amphur to get married. You might need to bring witnesses, but the income will already be verrified by your embassy in the document.

Hi Mario,

I'm in catch 22 situation. My embassy told me that they don't issue any confirmation to get married document. They gave me a letter (notarized) where I authorize my family member in my country to get this confirmation to get married document from my home district office for me.That document was translated to Thai and legalised by both the Foreign Ministry and Thai Embassy in my home country. The Amphur said since the Thai Embassy signed and stamped it, they accept it.

I worked until September 30 in Thailand. Since then I don't work. I have plenty of savings and I have cash projects. If someone is unemployed, cannot get married?

I'm dual citizen. Should I use the American Embassy to get this document? But my non-B visa is in my other passport. How do they verify income? Based on last year tax return or based on paystubs until September?

Thanks.

I got married in Koh Samui Amphur & didn't provide any proof of income or work permit. Think you havejust found a difficult Amphur.

What is your other nationality cause most embassies do provide the affirmation of freedom to marry so wonder why this one doesn't?

Here’s a link to the US embassy website on marriage in Thailand. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

Just my opinion it sounds like you have encountered an Umphur official who isn’t sure what is required or your paperwork isn’t correct. (More likely your paperwork isn't correct)

The information posted on the US embassy website is nearly word for word as my embassies information.

The affidavit you complete and sign at the embassy states your income. It’s up to you to provide the correct details in that affidavit. I didn't show any bank receipts or other proof of income.

I haven’t heard of a work permit being required. Most of the people I know including myself have all married while on some form of tourist visa.

The guarantors they referred to may have been references. The affidavit I completed at my embassy required the names and addresses of 2 referees. I used a couple of friend’s names and addresses. I used those same 2 friends names on the marriage paperwork at the Umphur.

At the Umphur the umphur staff were more than happy to be the 2 witnesses required for the wedding certificate.

Edited by Farma

Thanks for your help.

I'm Hungarian and the Hungarian Embassy does not have such a form. The consul told me that they cannot notarize any forms based on me saying what my income is or that I'm not married, without getting the proof. That is why I had to get the paper from Hungary that I'm not married. I have a 1 year non-B visa in my Hungarian passport and will do the extension based on marriage next year.

The American Embassy has such a document but I don't have any Thai visa in my American passport. I can say any income for the American Embassy and they will notarize but if I don't have any visa in the passport, I doubt they will issue such a paper. Even if they issue, the amphur want to see the Thai visa in my American passport.

I can bring two references or witnesses that is not the main problem.

Can I bring my and my GF tax return for 2008 instead of the salary slip? We have earned and paid tax on over 480,000baht officially.

I have money in my foreign bank accounts. We can live on it for years and my GF is working.

I still don't get it why the income need to be verified to get married. 400,000baht in the bank guarantee 1 year extension.

Is the marriage certificate say your nationality? Eventually I want to register my marriage at both embassies.

Edited by pon2007

got married yesterday at Bangrat amphur, was a bit of a queue as we strolled up at peak time around 11am, had to wait about 3 hours. I believe you can book an appointment beforehand for fee of 300B if you don't fancy waiting in line. The fancy blue or red certificate folder is 450B. The staff were quite happy to act as witnesses. Can do the entire wedding and visa process yourself if you have a bit of time and willing to put a bit of effort in, otherwise if you have the money, can pay an agency to help you you out.

Thanks for your help.

I'm Hungarian and the Hungarian Embassy does not have such a form. The consul told me that they cannot notarize any forms based on me saying what my income is or that I'm not married, without getting the proof. That is why I had to get the paper from Hungary that I'm not married. I have a 1 year non-B visa in my Hungarian passport and will do the extension based on marriage next year.

The American Embassy has such a document but I don't have any Thai visa in my American passport. I can say any income for the American Embassy and they will notarize but if I don't have any visa in the passport, I doubt they will issue such a paper. Even if they issue, the amphur want to see the Thai visa in my American passport.

I can bring two references or witnesses that is not the main problem.

Can I bring my and my GF tax return for 2008 instead of the salary slip? We have earned and paid tax on over 480,000baht officially.

I have money in my foreign bank accounts. We can live on it for years and my GF is working.

I still don't get it why the income need to be verified to get married. 400,000baht in the bank guarantee 1 year extension.

Is the marriage certificate say your nationality? Eventually I want to register my marriage at both embassies.

No, you can not use your GF's income, it has to be yours.

You can contact the US-embassy, it doesn't matter that you didn't use your US passport to enter the country. Relevant is only that you are a US citizen and they have dealt with people who have dual nationality before.

Thanks for everyones input.

I was at the US Embassy today and got notarized the affidavit that I'm eligible to get married (plus salary and reference confirmation)

I also got it translated to Thai and next week I'm heading to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get the affirmation "Legalised" and stamped.

Now I just have to find a friendly Amphur where I can use both of my passport details for the marriage registration.

Both USA/Hungary confirmed that I'm eligible to marry. The US Embassy confirmed my salary and references. The Hungarian passport have the valid Thai Non-B visa.

This dual citizen marriage registration will allow me, to get for my soon to be wife, immigrant visa to the USA or to the Euro area if we want to move. If we have children my goal is to get them 3 citizenship by birth. I know that is lots of paperwork, running around and money for the bureaucrats, but ultimately my dependents will benefit from it.

Mario,

I know that I need to show the 400,000 in my account for the extension based on marriage. The tax papers for 2008 would just show to any Amphur/Immigration that we are working most of the year and paying taxes, even if temporarily, I don't work. I know the law have changed in November 2008 and I cannot use joint income for my extension.

Edited by pon2007

got married yesterday at Bangrat amphur, was a bit of a queue as we strolled up at peak time around 11am, had to wait about 3 hours. I believe you can book an appointment beforehand for fee of 300B if you don't fancy waiting in line. The fancy blue or red certificate folder is 450B. The staff were quite happy to act as witnesses. Can do the entire wedding and visa process yourself if you have a bit of time and willing to put a bit of effort in, otherwise if you have the money, can pay an agency to help you you out.

I got married in 2005. I first when to the US Embassy in Bangkok and got a notarized affidavit that I'm eligible to marry. I then went to the translation agency to get the document translated to Thai. I paid the people that worked there to get help with the marriage certificate. They took my wife and I in a taxi to where we need to go and completed all the necessary paper work and then translated all the paperwork to English. This was all done in the same day. Looking back, I don't regret any of it. :o

This dual citizen marriage registration will allow me, to get for my soon to be wife, immigrant visa to the USA or to the Euro area if we want to move. If we have children my goal is to get them 3 citizenship by birth. I know that is lots of paperwork, running around and money for the bureaucrats, but ultimately my dependents will benefit from it.

Just remember that citizenship has liability as well. For an example, a requirement to serve in the military for a Thai citizenship. Another big one is TAX. I was born in Thailand. My dad is US and mom is Thai. We moved to the US when I was 9 yo. I now moved to Thailand and thought of circumventing the visa process by reclaiming my Thai citizenship. (Actually, I didn't want to pay the yearly visa fees.) I have my Thai birth certificate but my name was no longer on any "House" paper. My wife and I went from one government office to another to track down my last residency. Then it occurred to me that it was not worth it because of the taxes that I may have to pay. And not to mention other duties and responsibilities that are required of me for being a Thai citizen. :o

Edited by tripplejjj

Just remember that citizenship has liability as well. For an example, a requirement to serve in the military for a Thai citizenship. Another big one is TAX. I was born in Thailand. My dad is US and mom is Thai. We moved to the US when I was 9 yo. I now moved to Thailand and thought of circumventing the visa process by reclaiming my Thai citizenship. (Actually, I didn't want to pay the yearly visa fees.) I have my Thai birth certificate but my name was no longer on any "House" paper. My wife and I went from one government office to another to track down my last residency. Then it occurred to me that it was not worth it because of the taxes that I may have to pay. And not to mention other duties and responsibilities that are required of me for being a Thai citizen. :D

men over 30 are exempt from nat service so if you claimed your thai citizenship you wouldn't have to do it :o

check out past posts by samran, he has covered this fully.

Thanks for the info. The nat service that I pointed out was for pon2007's benefit since he mentioned that he wanted his future children to have 3 citizenship. (I naturally assume that Thai would be one of them.) My only concern is the TAX issues. Any thought on that?

Edited by tripplejjj

Three citizenship offers many opportunities and some liabilities as well. Both military service and their own tax issues will come up after the age of 18 years. In 20 years many thing can change. US and Hungary don't have mandatory military service. Thailand has, but that might change. Even if not, there are always ways not to serve in the military, if someone does not want. Tax issues are complex and are always changing but with professional advice all can be managed. There are many loopholes and countries have agreements between them. No one need to pay taxes in 2-3 countries same time. If you are a US citizen and spend 330 days outside the US, you don't pay any taxes on income below 80,000USD/year. If earning over that amount,is useful to use a professional tax advisor. My future children over the age of 18 can decide themselves if they want to keep or renounce any of their citizenships. All I want to do is give them choices and opportunities.

Edited by pon2007