Want - Yaak Or Ow?

katastrophic

I'm sure this has been asked for before, but can anyone clarify the use of yaak or ow (sorry, I can't write in Thai yet!) for the English word "want". If I ask for something in a shop, I usually say "pom yaak.........", but if I don't want something, I would say "mai ow khrap". Are there any rules that govern when or how to use either word? Thank you in advance.

My understanding is that ow is more appropriate when you are simply wanting something from the shop. Yaak is usually used followed by a verb e.g. yaak pai, yaak gin, etc.

Yeah, that's my understanding too - 'yaak' is used as 'to want to do something', 'ow' is more 'i want it (an object)'

I have been told by my wife that if you want something like another beer or another BJ instead of saying ow eek, you so ko eek and of course krup., apparently the latter is more polite and proper Thai as such.

ko is really used to ask someone to do something for you. That could be to get a beer for you, as you say, but if you listen to Thais speaking ow is much more common in that situation. I got accused of over politeness by Thai friends for using ko when asking shop keepers and bar staff for things; my understanding being that I'm not asking for a favour, it's just their job. My local shop keeper - a lovely friendly older Thai lady - corrects me if i use ko and says i should say ow!

In answer to your question:

อยาก - yaak/yahk = 'want' but is always followed by a verb; as in 'I want to go...'

เอา - ao = 'want' but can not be followed by a verb; as in 'I want (something)...'

ฉันต้องการ - dtorng gaan/dtong gahn = 'need' but you will sometimes hear Thais using this in place of 'ao' especially when speaking or translating formally. This can be used to say 'I want...' and 'I want to...'

ฉันต้องการมะละกอใหญ่ ๆ หนึ่งลูก - chun dtorng gaan malagor yai yai neung luuk = 'I want one large papaya.'

ฉันต้องการซื้อ - Chun dtorng gaan seuu = 'I want to buy.'

It's a little like Spanish. They say "would you like to take (tomar) a coffee with me," Rather than "have" or "want." I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, in answer to your question, I doubt they use "ow" for "take care", etc.....

It's a little like Spanish. They say "would you like to take (tomar) a coffee with me," Rather than "have" or "want." I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, in answer to your question, I doubt they use "ow" for "take care", etc.....

My understanding is that "take care" is usually said:

ดูแล duu laae

...or "take care of yourself."

ดูแลตัวเองนะ duu laae dtuaa aehng na

You're not really taking anything in the same sense as taking a beer.

I've also been told that using "ao" ( or ow) when asking for something ... "pom ao..." would sound rude & demanding. It's more polite to say "pom dhawng gan ..."

"Mai ao" is apparently acceptable, but "Mai dhawng" is more polite.

Edited by Kaojai

Thanks to everyone for clarifying the difference between yaak and ow, but I was interested in Milos reply who said "Take=Ow" as in "I'll take a beer". Would "ow" still be used in other forms such as, take care, take notes, take your time, etc?

Although my Thai is limited, i would definitely say no, as "Ow's" meaning is sort-of like "Take away". For me Milo summed it up perfectly, as I had trouble before knowing the difference of when i should Yaak instead of Ow. My bf (Thai) warned me about using Ow especially in reference to when you want someone to go somewhere with you or do something with you. I used to say things like "ow bai gap chan mai?" (yes, i know, terrible Thai, but ive improved :D). He told me that it could be inferred as being a suggestive comment, relating to sex. I only use ow now when i know for sure its the correct/safe in the sentence.

Want=Yaak dai

Take=Ow

In other words you're saying I'll take a beer :o

"Ow" has the meaning of "take away" when used with "bpai": "ow (something) bpai"; while the opposite construction, "ow (something) maa" means "to bring."

"Ow (something)" by itself has the meaning of "take (to have)," as a beer - which is why when used to refer to a person, it usually connotes the colloquial meaning, to have sex with that person.

"Ow" could be thought of as taking/having physical objects, not people, nor many concepts. In Thai, one doesn't "take notes," one "writes notes"; you don't "take care," you "care for"; "take your time" is usually expressed as "no need to hurry."

"Mai ow" can be more general usage, as in "I don't want to do this" - or "I don't want you to do that," (which mothers often say that to unruly kids).