Passport For Thai

TG was recently refused passport as a result of problems caused by her going overseas to Japan and overstaying there 5 years.

Eventually returned to Thailand through a letter from Thai embassy in Japan.

We went to Thai passport office in Bangkok to see if there was someway they could issue her a passport.

They said according to her ( i was standing next to her but cannot understand thai and nobody could explain to me in English) that she could get a passport if we were married and i could provide copy of marriage certificate and also prove that she had sufficient funds in bank.They also wanted a signed photocopy of my passport.

Now quite frankly i couldn't believe this story even thou i was standing next to her when she was making the enquiries.

It just doesn't seem logical to me why i would have anything to do with her getting a Thai passport. A visa for another country i can understand but this just seems unbelievable. I told her i didn't believe it but she insists that she is not lying.

I have point blank refused to make any concessions and said it is up to her to get a passport and nothing to do with me.

Am i being unreasonble?

Is it remotely possible that this could be true?

Sounds perfectly logical to me. She abused her previous passport and probably returned to Thailand at government expense and will not now be issued another.

If she is married and needs to travel to your home they will allow her to obtain and she is then your responsibility.

Sounds like they are giving her/you extra here as they would normally probably only issue her a paper for specific travel rather than a passport.

All too true, having Thai's caught working illegally overseas makes the Thai government lose face diplomatically.

Was told at the Thai embassy in Canberra that BG's and other illegal workers/overstayers caught in OZ and then deported are treated quite harshly upon returning to Don Muang. Immigration are warned to keep and eye out of potenital illegal workers both going out and coming back in.

The money is not really a problem as i will not put any funds into her account as i told her i was not prepared to do that.

She has enough of her own funds i think...

As for the marriage part....no dowry required and no village ceremony so cost quite low

TG was recently refused passport as a result of problems caused by her going overseas to Japan and overstaying there 5 years.

We went to Thai passport office in Bangkok to see if there was someway they could issue her a passport.

They said according to her ( i was standing next to her but cannot understand thai and nobody could explain to me in English) that she could get a passport if we were married and i could provide copy of marriage certificate and also prove that she had sufficient funds in bank.They also wanted a signed photocopy of my passport.

Now quite frankly i couldn't believe this story even thou i was standing next to her when she was making the enquiries.

It just doesn't seem logical to me why i would have anything to do with her getting a Thai passport. A visa for another country i can understand but this just seems unbelievable. I told her i didn't believe it but she insists that she is not lying.

I have point blank refused to make any concessions and said it is up to her to get a passport and nothing to do with me.

Am i being unreasonble?

Move along without her. This one is a sh*t load of trouble

Am i being unreasonble?

It's absolutly true I had the same thing 7 years ago when I wanted to take my then g/f to the UK

She had also overstayed in Japan

She was told a new passport could be issued in 2 years

We both went our seperate ways but stayed friends and she is now married and living in Austria

It is true. When she overstay or get caught working illegally, her passport will be confiscated and if it is expired, the passport won't be re-new too. And she will also be blacklisted from applying for another passport for 2 to 5 years.

When she is able to apply, they will be more stringent to issue her the passport. Whereas if she is married to a foreigner and can prove that she have sufficient fund in her accounts to travel, she will be issue with the passport again.

Couple of things that will be taken into account:-

1. She is married to a foreigner and supported by husband and/or

2. Have sufficient fund to travel and/or

3. Have someone influential to back-up her application and/or

4. Have a good paying and stable job waiting for her back in Thai.

You do not need to put in fund into her account if you are married to her. As long as you can prove that you are married, you just need to show them your account statement. That would be sufficient enough.

Hope that this help. :o

If she did manage to get the passport without you marrying her then surely there would be no way she would get a visa to visit your country unless you married her anyway ?

I am pretty sure that once they found out about the visa overstay (and illigal working - if she was working) in Japan your embassy would also insist on marriage before a visa was issued.

Absolutely. I'm impressed that members here are such founts of knowledge on the machinations of the Thai foreign office. It's extra trouble you really don't need. And can you imagine how many miles of Japanese d*ck she got through in five years? Still plenty of good girls, even virgins, in Thailand if you take the trouble to look for them ... and learn Thai!

Speak to a lawyer,  it will be a lot cheaper than a wedding.

I dont want to judge your partner

But be careful, could be a well thought out scam.....Marrying comes with a price tag, jewlery, dowry....... and the funds in her bank account.....

trust your instincts

I have a Thai girl friend and I ask her to marry me and guess what she said she want to be free we can live together but not marry my heart is broken

It is true. When she overstay or get caught working illegally, her passport will be confiscated and if it is expired, the passport won't be re-new too. And she will also be blacklisted from applying for another passport for 2 to 5 years.

When she is able to apply, they will be more stringent to issue her the passport. Whereas if she is married to a foreigner and can prove that she have sufficient fund in her accounts to travel, she will be issue with the passport again.

Couple of things that will be taken into account:-

1. She is married to a foreigner and supported by husband and/or

2. Have sufficient fund to travel and/or

3. Have someone influential to back-up her application and/or

4. Have a good paying and stable job waiting for her back in Thai.

You do not need to put in fund into her account if you are married to her. As long as you can prove that you are married, you just need to show them your account statement. That would be sufficient enough.

Hope that this help.  :o

Mmmmhh quite intresting i must say.

Now then the good news :

The following international treaty

http://www.ohchr.org/english/law/ccpr.htm

ratified by TH

http://www.ohchr.org/english/countries/rat...ation/4.htm#N10

reads : "

Article 12 ....

2. Everyone shall be free to leave any country, including his own.

3. The above-mentioned rights shall not be subject to any restrictions except those which are provided by law, are necessary to protect national security, public order (ordre public), public health or morals or the rights and freedoms of others, and are consistent with the other rights recognized in the present Covenant. ...."

furthermore TH did not make any declarations nor reservations relative to that article, see :

http://www.ohchr.org/english/countries/ratification/4_1.htm

Based on the reported facts that refusal to issue a passport is based on a so called 'illegal overstay' in JP and assuming according to TH penal law no offenses were comitted at least no convictions pronounced for that fact, therefore :

TH authorities are not legally entitled to refuse issuance of a valid international passport to the person concerned since the facts of the case on hand do NOT fall under any of the restrictions of art 12 § 3 therefore : art 12 § 2 applies which definitely implies on regular request a valid international passport has to be provided.

So the 'marriage obligation' as a 'condition' for a passport to be issued is legal nonsense. @farang24 : those suggesting or advising whether or not it is wise or not u marry her, are pathetic tossers.

BTW this might be handy to obtain some more legal info on the matter :

http://www.nhrc.or.th/en/

Absolutely. I'm impressed that members here are such founts of knowledge on the machinations of the Thai foreign office. It's extra trouble you really don't need. And can you imagine how many miles of Japanese d*ck she got through in five years? Still plenty of good girls, even virgins, in Thailand if you take the trouble to look for them ... and learn Thai!

Halfway around the world ... and back <_<

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am interested in what tech said as it seems that what was said at the passport office may well have been true even thou according to another poster not the law.

In any case i am leaving the matter in her hands.

I am not interested in bringing her to my country but would consider bringing her to the ME where i work so the visa is not really a big issue and can be gotten quite easily once she has the passport.

I would not consider taking her to my own country because of the financial implications.

The good doctor said

" And can you imagine how many miles of Japanese d*ck she got through in five years? Still plenty of good girls, even virgins, in Thailand if you take the trouble to look for them ... and learn Thai!"

I am not concerned how many guys she shagged......

I don't really want a good gal as they more often than not boring and heaven forbid a virgin.... i am not a teacher i like my gals to come fully trained!

I am learning thai but am still at a basic level...

lol ...doesn't seem like you practice what you preach with that handle

Who was it that said it is "all sloppy seconds it is just a matter to what degree"

BTW You don't know what my gal was doing in Japan or now ....your assumptions are wrong......but she is no angel that is true

Am i being unreasonble?

1.What is age of TG? If young wait until she is older. To be frank, older she is,less likely they will think she is going to try to stay in country she is going to. Young and pretty equals little chance of passport. What is not possible at age 25 may be possible at age 45.

2. If you do get married to get her passport, be warned: you are responsible for her if she accompanies you. If she overstays and Thai government has to pay for her return, it will come back on you. Maybe you will be blacklisted for return to Thailand.

3. This is totally unofficial, but I have heard of girls being turned down for passport who were then visted by (legitimate) official from Thai government who informed them if they really wanted passport it could be done for XXXX baht. This is of course illegal, be very careful of scams.

The good doctor said

" And can you imagine how many miles of Japanese d*ck she got through in five years?  Still plenty of good girls, even virgins, in Thailand if you take the trouble to look for them ... and learn Thai!"

I'm not a doctor, but know more about real heath than most, who are only concerned about making money from drugs and surgery.

I am not concerned how many guys she shagged......

I don't really want a good gal as they more often than not boring and heaven forbid a virgin.... i am not a teacher i like my gals to come fully trained!

I agree up to a point.  Good girls (well, Thai at least) are lousy lays and it can take an age to train one up to only a mediocre standard.

I am learning thai but am still at a basic level...

The main thing is you make the effort. But they will still laugh at it after learning for 25 years -- and give you compliments too!