Samak Will Announce Resignation Thursday Morning?

george

As I keep saying the only way I can see that you will have honest and true democracy is if the next election is properly monitored by an external (i.e. non Thai) independent large group of observers recognised by the UN or similar outfit

I am sure that Jimmy and his folks at The Carter Center would be available for the job :o Plenty of experience......

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My source confirms that Samak will announce his resignation in the morning.

If he doesn't, I will run naked through the PAD crowd.

are you male or female?

(on this it depends if I or my wife take the glases)

Is it a record?

1971 User(s) are reading this topic (1459 Guests and 8 Anonymous Users)

Somehow the maths don't add up. Must be happening too fast for TV? :o

you forgot to add the members... annonymous, guest and xyz members, it all adds up

oz

1- Why would he announce his resignation on radio only?

2- Is he going abroad?

3- Address the nation at 7: 30 am?

4- Tej resigns in a hurry.

Something definitely going on.

Are they planning on removing the PAD tonight and arresting all 9 leaders?

yes that's all very strange.

Isn't this the point however - in the absence of any party developing these kind of policies it is quite right that the party that wins should be the party that supports the most benefit for the large majority of Thai's. This is exactly the point in that financially they are probably serveed best by the corrupt who will at least pay them to vote! The only government that will be acceptable and elected democratically is one that truely gives respect to a fisherman as they would to a business tycoon in Bangkok!

I agree. Who cares for the majority of Thais will win.

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

I would take anything ripped from The Nation's website with a grain of salt. I worked there for two years after many years as an investigative reporter in the U.S. They're standards for writing articles are quite low. I had many run-ins with reporters trying to write one-source stories based on an interview with an "anonymous" source. The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

Sir - Their standards.............not "They're standards"........

Who are we to talk about standards, Sir? And you worked there for two years? Did you learn much?

No. Nothing. I was hoping to make a difference but I found out after a while that I was nothing more than a glorified maid, cleaning up the English language as you did with my missive that I wrote on the fly. You know nothing of my standards or what I was hired to do there and what I did there. I find your comment puerile.

1- Why would he announce his resignation on radio only?

2- Is he going abroad?

3- Address the nation at 7: 30 am?

4- Tej resigns in a hurry.

Something definitely going on.

Are they planning on removing the PAD tonight and arresting all 9 leaders?

"PM Samak Sundaravej is scheduled to give an interview on FM 92.5 on the current political crisis tomorrow at 7.30 a.m. "

maybe he thinks, if he resigns at 7.30, just on FM 92.5 PAD is going home, but the rest of Thailand is still sleeping or not hearing radio, so they don't notice it and he can remain as premier??

I find the arrogance of the educated and the academics appalling. What makes them think they know better then the poor and uneducated? Just head stuffing? Does that make you a better person? Do these people ever care for the poor or try to help to raise the standard?

What is the difference in giving someone 300 Baht to vote for them or someone else lying through their teeth saying how much things will change if they get elected? I whole heartedly feel for the poor, taxi drivers, workers etc who all testify to the fact that Thaksin caused a change for the better in their lives. Who cares about the motive as long as it was a good thing. Now they can get health care, sell their own products etc.

If you beleive in democracy as an outcrop of 'one voice one vote' surely you must accept the popular votes. Or is it better with a feudal society of ancient Europe?

The PDA to me is an embarrassment to the whole world of how some self-rightous people through a personal vendetta can disrupt a whole country. Terrible!

BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will speak to the public through radio and television stations of the Public Relations Department on Thursday morning.

It is expected that he would speak and explain to the fellow Thais about ongoing political turmoil. But some local media speculated that he might announce his decision to resign.

The interview will be broadcasted on Radio Thailand at 7.30am.

I have no idea whether Samak will resign tomorrow or not. But about the only way I can see out of the mess that is currently Kingdom of Thailand, is for Samak to resign ......for being who he is known to be, and for the police/army or whoever to execute the validly issued arrest warrents for the PAD leaders and throw them in jail without bail. Similtanously of course.

Then the people of Kingdom of Thailand can start over again and no doubt repeat the whole process a few more times and perhaps throw in the odd military coup or two. But I think the military may have realised that Kingdom of Thailand is just about ungovernable these days.

Or, PAD could stop their current illegal nonsense and protest peacefully as permitted by law...well, the law without a state of emergency anyway. Maybe that will produce a change of government, maybe not, but it would be legal.

One thing IS for sure, Toxin's bid for refuge (can't spell asylum)i n the UK has been given a significant boost by the radical actions of the PAD. You can just see the argument, it's not just me, these PAD guys are violently kicking out the next elected government as well.

From TOC

People Power Party MP Admits PM Samak Could Resign

UPDATE : 3 September 2008

A People Power party Khon Kaen MP admits to reporters that a new prime minister could be appointment to replace PM Samak Sundaravej.

Reporters asked PPP Khon Kaen MP Panya Sripanya how the recent resignation of Foreign Affairs minister Tej Bunnag will lead to House dissolution. Panya responded by saying House dissolution is unlikely. What is likely, according to Panya, is for PM Samak to be replaced.

Reporters also asked Panya about the PPP's next move to resolve the current political crisis. Panya told reporters to keep a close eye on the results of the E-sarn (north-eastern) MPs meeting tomorrow. A formal announcement will be held at 1.30 p.m.

Samak will announce that he is stepping down tomorrow morning and Kermit the Frog will be taking his place as the PM of Thailand!

Thailands Muppet show will be run by Kermit the Frog, Fozzy Bear and friends as of 9am tomorrow morning.

Why that's the best and happiest political news I have heard ever! :o

great news for thailand ,hopefully the damage done will have been minemal ,i for one is relieved....

I am one who is (am) also relieved -- and I can assure you that the damage done is far from being minimal - the ongoing offshoot to this will be felt for months to come and the effect on tourism is already being felt with hotel occupancy rates dropping by more the 30-40% in bkk alone and i just hate to think what the impact will be in the resorts in the south.. there were reports in the Australian press about tourists being assaulted as they tried to access Phuket airport to get their flights whilst trying to bypass the protesters - no way tourists are going to come here and cop this -= aside from the worry about whether there will be flights - cancellations are flooding in as i write for booking made for November thru jan - the peak tourist season - what sort of effect do you think this will have on the local economy - HUGE tourist are already thinking about heading for Vietnam and china

The Assh-ole who dreamed this situation up is sitting in a luxury residence in London.

sorry [flame deleted] I happen to be sitting in a nice condo in Bkk = have been for 10 years - u really do need to get out of your baan in Isan more often and get the whole picture of what is happening here in the city of angels - take a look at the Bkk Post comment on the impact on tourism - I know i am in the industry - 555 luxury residence in London, no thanks - don't like the weather there

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

I would take anything ripped from The Nation's website with a grain of salt. I worked there for two years after many years as an investigative reporter in the U.S. They're standards for writing articles are quite low. I had many run-ins with reporters trying to write one-source stories based on an interview with an "anonymous" source. The paper is getting worse these days having laid off the majority of its foreign editors and pared down the local staff to a skeleton crew.

Sir - Their standards.............not "They're standards"........

Who are we to talk about standards, Sir? And you worked there for two years? Did you learn much?

No. Nothing. I was hoping to make a difference but I found out afterI l a while that I was nothing more than a glorified maid, cleaning up the English language as you did with my missive that I wrote on the fly. You know nothing of my standards or what I was hired to do there and what I did there. I find your comment puerile.

I like that word - puerile \PYOO-uhr-uhl; PYOOR-uhl\, adjective:

Displaying or suggesting a lack of maturity; juvenile; childish.

but I don't think too many here would understand the meaning!!!

From TOC

People Power Party MP Admits PM Samak Could Resign

A People Power party Khon Kaen MP admits to reporters that a new prime minister could be appointment to replace PM Samak Sundaravej.

Reporters asked PPP Khon Kaen MP Panya Sripanya how the recent resignation of Foreign Affairs minister Tej Bunnag will lead to House dissolution. Panya responded by saying House dissolution is unlikely. What is likely, according to Panya, is for PM Samak to be replaced.

Reporters also asked Panya about the PPP's next move to resolve the current political crisis. Panya told reporters to keep a close eye on the results of the E-sarn (north-eastern) MPs meeting tomorrow. A formal announcement will be held at 1.30 p.m.

Ironically, I believe this more from TOC than the scaremongering and rumour from the Nation.

That's the thing with rumors, they don't make into mainstream media.

It's surprising to see them posted on Nation's website as it is.

WHAT??????

Are you serious? Who do you think that esteemed informant who manages to give the nation stringers about half their stories- that guy named "A Source"- is? It's nothing more than a polite way of saying, "rumor has it..."

From TOC

PM Samak Sundaravej is scheduled to give an interview on FM 92.5 on the current political crisis tomorrow at 7.30 a.m.

Amid reports of PM Samak stepping down as premier, he's scheduled to give a radio interview tomorrow at 7.30 a.m. at the Public Relations Department headquarters on Vibhavadi Road.

Ironically, the reports are confirmed and accurate rumours, but lets not split hairs.

The question is, if Samak does resign, has his successor been pre approved by Sondhi? If he hasn't, presuamably PAD continue until a PM is appointed of whom they do approve? It's pointless Samak resigning if PAD supporters don't go back to their normal lives, and for that to happen, Fuhrur Sondhi needs to be satisfied with whomever is PM.

<br />
I hope so.<br />The only thing he has is a big mouth.<br />He cant control his party, he cant control the people, he can't control the country.<br />Just a bungling incompetent with a big mouth and f all leadership skills.<br />What a pathetic excuse for a prime minister.<br /><br />Truly amazing millions voted for him. I hope they all learned their lesson.
<br /><br />But he was democratically elected and by a sizeable majority. Who is going to want to be PM now, other than an even worse big mouth who can't... etc. The main loser out of this farce will be democracy in Thailand because even with more than half the electorate behind his government Samak can't stay in power, as Thaksin couldn't before him.<br />
<br /><br /><br />That is just not true he was really NOT democratically elected as it is not democracy with vote buying (yes I have first hand knowledge this IS true through my wife's family and friends) and I am sure other vote rigging. So how can any western country or person say they are democratically elected, that is rubbish and really what the whole problem here is !! Most folk including myself will recognise any PROPERLY Elected governemetn even if it is completely politically opposed to ones own view as the TRUE will of the people should always prevail. <br /><br />As I keep saying the only way I can see that you will have honest and true democracy is if the next election is properly monitored by an external (i.e. non Thai) independent large group of observers recognised by the UN or similar outfit, and then any vote buying or rigging is punishable by long jail sentences for the guilty parties and a life time ban from politics. No true democratic person ir group can argue against that, it is just the practicality of actually doing it that needs seriously addressing. <br /><br />Perhaps we should also see some true party of the people with ordinary working Thai folk, who are capable of doing the job, standing for election too. Until then the circle will just continue with one lot of corruption after another with dubiously elected Governments quite rightly not being recognised by the majority of the general public and IMHO there will never then be a break from the elite ruling class continuing to suppress the ordinary working Thai folk in this country. Only my personal suggestion as I am a guest here and live happily just keeping my head down, so up to the Thai people to recognise some sense in this and do something about it. I just hope they do for the future prosperity of Thailand and its people.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

People keep saying that so and so wasn't elected because of the vote buying, I disagree he was still elected but for a narrow minded reason ! People vote for a political leader for many reasons and I guess when you are broke money is as good a reason as anything, at least one election promise was kept (I guess they got their money). The Thai electoral system, good / bad, right / wrong put Semak in there and like any other (and I use the term loosely, but it's what it is) democratically elected representative he has the right to serve out his term unless he is deposed within the system, i.e. a referendum or such. People will always be disappointed with election results, governments in the west (Oz) stack the votes by rearranging electoral boundaries and unions strike and bring countries to their knees.

If the people who sold their votes don't like what has happened since.......stiff ! Bringing the country down is their right and stopping it is the governments, what worries me is who has control of the ship, anyone at the helm.....hello

Funny but true. I made light of this fact a couple of months ao in a thread I can't be bothered to find now.

Nevertheless - I do not think the Nation is so low as to report something this serious without double- and triple-checking this information. And in fact they are not making a claim - they said that there are "rumours" floating about.

Though I must admit, I gotta agree with Blaze as well.

Edited by onethailand

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej will speak to the public through radio and television stations of the Public Relations Department on Thursday morning.

It is expected that he would speak and explain to the fellow Thais about ongoing political turmoil. But some local media speculated that he might announce his decision to resign.

The interview will be broadcasted on Radio Thailand at 7.30am

I find the arrogance of the educated and the academics appalling. What makes them think they know better then the poor and uneducated? Just head stuffing? Does that make you a better person? Do these people ever care for the poor or try to help to raise the standard?

What is the difference in giving someone 300 Baht to vote for them or someone else lying through their teeth saying how much things will change if they get elected? I whole heartedly feel for the poor, taxi drivers, workers etc who all testify to the fact that Thaksin caused a change for the better in their lives. Who cares about the motive as long as it was a good thing. Now they can get health care, sell their own products etc.

If you beleive in democracy as an outcrop of 'one voice one vote' surely you must accept the popular votes. Or is it better with a feudal society of ancient Europe?

The PDA to me is an embarrassment to the whole world of how some self-rightous people through a personal vendetta can disrupt a whole country. Terrible!

education?

Anything on ASTV?

ASTV just now, because of Tej`s resignation, police movement today and now Samak`s annoucement, the PAD crowd has just been warned something may be going on and to beware.

Could be that Newin Chidchob and his hired mob want to try something else tonight in concert with the boys in brown as we clearly saw the other night just before the SoE where they both worked hand in hand with Samak to trigger the State of Emergency by allowing the DAAD to reach the PAD.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Just now on CNN they said A major drawback for PAD. Those responsible refuse to cut off power and shut down BKK international quoting it was to much . Sounds like a deal has been struck to me and Samak maybe gone soon

These two news from TOC make resignation more probable:

Army Chief to PM: Rally Can't Be Disperse Easily

The Army Region 1 commander reveals that the Army commander-in-chief has explained to the premier that it won't be possible to use force to disperse PAD protesters.

Army Region 1 commander Lt General Prayuth Chan-ocha reveals that Army Commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda has explained to PM Samak Sundaravej about the current situation.

According to Lt General Prayuth, General Anupong told PM Samak that using force on the PAD protesters will further damage the country. He adds that General Anupong explained to the PM that the government must give the army more time to resolve the situation.

Conflict Erupts During Parliament Session

A political debate erupted during the fiscal budget bill debate, as some opposition MPs stood up to criticize the government's failure to govern the country.

During the Parliamentary 2009 fiscal budget debate, some MPs suggested the budget be cut by 10 to 90 percent due to the government's lack of capability to govern and solve the country's problems.

Democrat MP Warong Dejkitwikrom said the government budget set for some state offices is too high and paves the way for some officials to commit acts of corruption.

Democrat MP from Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thepthai Senapong, said he disagrees with the budget draft as Samak's government has failed in its duty to govern the country.

The accusation prompted People Power MP, Jatuporn Prompan to react immediately. Jatuporn referred to the use of force during the seizure of Ratchaburi Hospital in time of the Democrat administration.

Democrat chief advisor, Chuan Leekpai explained that the Army's seizure of the hospital was carried out under full deliberation.

Meanwhile, a group of students from Ramkamhaeng University, calling themselves the Students Network For Society, gathered in front of Parliament and called on the five other coalition parties to withdraw from the government, specifically addressing the Chart Thai leader, Banharn Silpa-archa .

They pointed out that the government lacks good governance and leadership, referring to the clashes between pro- and anti-government supporters.

The group called on the government to revoke the Emergency Decree and urged the premier to step down.

Funny but true. I made light of this fact a couple of months ao in a thread I can't be bothered to find now.

Nevertheless - I do not think the Nation is so low as to report something this serious without double- and triple-checking this information. And in fact they are not making a claim - they said that there are "rumours" floating about.

So then it that case, how likely is this rumour? 50:50, 80:20 or 90:10?

It is a newspaper, not a "rumour"paper and when there are armed mobs around Bangkok, it strikes me as very irresponsible reporting. If I was clad in red, maybe I wouldn't want to wait to hear the announcement.

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

The Thai populace is fairly well educated. Both the folks in the rural villages and the folks in the urban slums tend to be literate and follow the news both in the newspapers and other media. Now I am not one to argue that the Thai education system is not in need of improvement. But just because the rural folks and the urban poor have different priorities than do those higher up the economic scale, including yourself, they are not dumb. And one must ask why those who you incorrectly infer to be superior to the "uneducated masses" (a most slippery slope indeed) would want to support Sondhi, who is no different than Thaksin, and by my perspective, being socially much closer to the rural poor than to the Bangkok middle class, far more frightening than Thaksin in the long run.

YOu are correct in your assessment, but even though the masses are literate, that does not mean they have much common sense and intelligence to avoid being bamboozled by the likes of Thaksin. The schemes that Thaksin introduced did not benefit them much and most of the poor who were given handouts are now in worse shape and in more debt because the policies did not help build up their communities. They were only built on handing out freebies to the people. That's not sustainable. But they only remember that they were given cheap money.

So then it that case, how likely is this rumour? 50:50, 80:20 or 90:10?

It is a newspaper, not a "rumour"paper and when there are armed mobs around Bangkok, it strikes me as very irresponsible reporting. If I was clad in red, maybe I wouldn't want to wait to hear the announcement.

Depends on where the rumour came from, I guess. I'll watch some of the Thai channels and see if I can make anything out - perhaps some of you who can read Thai might want to scour the websites of the local papers...

My personal opinion - he's not going to go just like that. However, the CAT postponed their decision until 9 am tomorrow - perhaps they've gotten wind of something as well.