Wiring Up My Pump

dotcom

I see you tinned the ends of the flex to stop stray strands, good move :o

My only minor critique would be that the flex should go further into the choc-block so there is no exposed copper, not really an issue as it's all in an enclosure anyway. A tie-wrap on the flex to the pump as strain relief would be a smart move.

Still 106 times better than Somchai would have done :D

Edited by Crossy

I guess I have to add a comment about the connections and box.

You have done yourself proud by using a weather-proof box of sorts and the neat soldering (tinning) of the stranded wires and using the connection block.

But,,,,there is always a but,,,,the two wires(cables) entering the lower area of the box appear to me to be just hanging down and not supported in any manner. We can't see below the box but I hope you supported the wires in some way to keep them from accidentally being pulled from your box/connector. I am also a fan of some protection from abrasion and the wires enter the box over a what looks like sharp edge. Again I can't see the complete picture and if the wires are secured from moving then abrasion protection is overkill but in my world I would still use it.

Personally I'd also put in a rubber gromit around the hole to stop the sharp edges of the plastic cutting in the flex also as longball said really not a good idea to leave them hanging a letting the connector take the strain.

:o

Edited by technocracy

Where is the earth cable??

Attached to an earth stake next to the pump :o

Actually, the lack of an earth core in the flex implies double insulation, but we are in Thailand.

Edited by Crossy

All good points gentlemen.

Crossy mentioned strain relief above.

No earth because the pump doesn't have one. Comes from dealer with 2 prong plug (which I cut off). Plug & socket is a stupid idea.

Rubber grommet? You are 100 % correct Sir.

Strain relief I can deal with using cable ties.

For grommet I can wrap the cables with electrical tape.

You guys are too hawkeyed by half!!! Thanks for keeping me honest.

I could run a separate ground. But it would be a long run.

....as we are in sharing experiance mode, and the grommets {sp!} have been mentioned already...

I brought you here tonight to talk about my DVD player in the upstairs bedroom, and why I am taking it apart tonght!

Someone (no names) appears to have used a sugary finger to turn the player on/off in the past week (popcorn fingers anyone?) - I was going to watch something during the week, but was a little surprised to find ants crawling around the power switch, when I turned it on there was a cracking sound and the display lights flickered on and off, and yes there was a slight smell of burning bugs.

Bugs get everywhere and they do carbonize when cooked in this fashion, a good reason to keep them out of junction boxes for pumps, or wall mounted bug homes as they see them.

----------------------edit--------------------------

For grommet I can wrap the cables with electrical tape.

Goes sticky in this heat, silicone sealant is cheap and a useful thing to have as a tool box stock item.

Edited by Cuban

• 4 weeks later...
You're in the D.I.Y. forum so be sure to tell us how you fixed the DVD player. WD-40? Alcohol?
As you have bumped this thread and were kind enough to ask, I used plain water, tissues and cotton buds to clean the accumulated dust (?) and dead ants, finishing with mouthwash being the only alcohol that I had suitable. There was a number of zapped ants in side, but I could not discover what the brown dust was. This DVD has never been used in a carpeted room although the fluff/dust looks like carpet fibers. The dust was only in one area, near the power switch top right corner of the attached image, not near the disk drawer or gap in the casing. There were not enough ants inside to suggest that it was being used as their nest, one of my worries prior to opening it up. The dust was only fund in that one area - not distributed around the inside, possible that it is the natural location where dust gathers blown by the rotation of the DVD disk? Something of a puzzle. Not dog hairs, but resembles fine shredded pork. Odd.

Note the metal case (nice tingle) and double square (double insulated) symbol. Dances With Wolves played well and the switch remains devoid of ants. :o

post-31633-1223449079_thumb.jpg

It is not known why ants inhabit certain electrical devices. Current speculation suggests that ants like certain types of magnetic fields.

Some years ago, electrical cable was impregnated with arsenic in an attempt to kill any such wire nibbler. This practice is not permitted these days.

It is not a good idea to use mouthwash (or similar) to clean electric/electronic devices because mouthwash contains sugar, which ants love. Sugar is also bad for your teeth.