New Vigo & Fortuner

phutoie2

• Ok whats happening here??, last two nights on Thai channel 5, adverts for the new Fortuner and Vigo pickup truck. No comments from the TV Toyota brigade as of yet, why not!!.

• Notice that the Vigo advert was for the new rear access door type , same as Nissan Navara and Ford/Mazda's.

• Hailing from a cold miserable island in the North Sea I always thought that the word Fortuner was pronounced with the emphasis on the tuner, ie Fortuner, the advertising commentary referred to something called a "For-chun-er. Aside from the usual TV resident motoring experts, I will accept comments from any Tefl - er's

That is because the "For-chun-er" is made by ToyotAAR some other makes available in Thailand are -

HondAAR MazdAAR IsZOOOsu FArd MitSOObishi CheROLET NiSAAN JagWAAR BMW (boringly similar)

Benz deleting Mercedes but annexing Ssangyong??? (in the West if you said i've got a Benz a "1800s" 3 wheel trike

would be most peoples vision)

Just watched the advert for the Vigo truck again this morning, its called a "Smart cab", add on to "King cabs/Mega cabs/Space cabs/Extra cabs/Rear access system"

Dave Boo - When did we stop being colonials? - collapse of the British Empire??

Kartman - Yep I watch & listen to Thai TV and radio far too much! I think I heard myself say "com-put-er yesterday

There was a good thread on Thai visa a few months ago about Tinglish.

The Thai language part (not English) of the Toyota web site has the specs and pricing for the new Vigo now. The Extra Cab is by and large replaced by the Smart Cab and its 4 doors I am guessing will trigger another 5000 baht annually for license.

Just watched the advert for the Vigo truck again this morning, its called a "Smart cab", add on to "King cabs/Mega cabs/Space cabs/Extra cabs/Rear access system"

Kartman - Yep I watch & listen to Thai TV and radio far too much! I think I heard myself say "com-put-er yesterday

Have not seen the ad myself perhaps you can tell me if you can win the "DAKAR" rally with this one straight out of the showroom? like apparantly every other manufacturer, if so i look forward to seeing a few on their roofs in the coming months.

Us former colonials=USA.

Actually the ads say FOR-chun-er, at least that's how I hear it. I also hear peolle saying for-CHUN-er.

For-Tuner is an interesting angle. Mind you, Toyota would void the warrantee if you take it literally.

As for their durability - have you seen the race to the North Pole by TopGear on BBC? The truck is awesome.

The new Vigo is in dealer showrooms now if you want to check them out. To my untrained eye, I can't really tell the difference. The extra door on the ExtraCab (now called the SmartCab) is the only functional difference I could spot.

I inquired about purchase, but they did not offer me a discount and the only option they are willing to give me free is tint, not even free insurance. That means all in it costs 70,000 more than I can get last years model for. Should I buy last years model or the new one? Any advice on haggling? Intend to pay cash.

The Thai language part (not English) of the Toyota web site has the specs and pricing for the new Vigo now. The Extra Cab is by and large replaced by the Smart Cab and its 4 doors I am guessing will trigger another 5000 baht annually for license.

I was wondering about the possibility of the added yearly 5000B, too. Am hoping because they are half the size of the regular 4-door rear doors, then maybe no extra tax. Anyone having just purchased a smart cab, do please let us know. :o

I was wondering about the possibility of the added yearly 5000B, too. Am hoping because they are half the size of the regular 4-door rear doors, then maybe no extra tax. Anyone having just purchased a smart cab, do please let us know. :o

Truck still classed as 2 door as you cannot independently open the "access" doors.

Truck still classed as 2 door as you cannot independently open the "access" doors.

Thank you.