Is It Safe To Visit Bangkon Now?

nickiat

Hi all...

I am planning to visit bangkok on 18th SEP, but am a bit worried due to all the negative reports these few days on the demo.

For you guys staying in bangkok, kindly advise the real situation there...media is not trustworthy all the time...

Thks in advance

Nick

Safe provided you avoid the area of the demonstrations (Rattanakosin Island, including Sanam Luang, Khao San and the Grand Palace).

Khao San is perfectly safe. Thousands of tourists shopping and drinking each night just like every other day of the year.

Welcome to the LOS.

Take the advice and stay away from the demonstrations and Thailand gladly welcomes all visitors. The demostrations are like bad neighborhoods back in the West. You know the rules!?!

It will be history soon anyways. Don't do like Nicholas Cage during the Sept 2006 Coup (while filming of Bangkok Dangerous) was on a private evacuation biz jet while we were tapping kegs and burning meat on the BBQ and getting photos next to tanks and Vulcan anti-aircraft systems.

Come on now, you know is it okay!

Have some fun.

:o

Edited by ilyushin

there might be problems with water, electricity, phones, public transport and access to the airports - if you don't have to be in bangkok now, just wait when it's over

no one knows when it's gonna be over ...

just come.ENJOY life hehehe

For right now, the prior problems with access to airports and the bus and train networks have pretty much subsided.... Everything's running again now....in terms of greater Bangkok and Thailand at large.

However, the protests continue.... and as long as they do, it's impossible to predict what things PAD might target where and when -- apart from the ongoing main protest sites around Govt. House. So that creates some uncertainties.

Based on current circumstances, I wouldn't put off any planned trip. But I would monitor closely info sources like the Bangkok Post or Nation newspaper to keep tabs on the situation as it evolves. It's impossible to predict where things will stand two weeks from now.

But right now, life in BKK for the most part goes on as usual....

Safe provided you avoid the area of the demonstrations (Rattanakosin Island, including Sanam Luang, Khao San and the Grand Palace).

Grand Palace? that true? is this near any of the demonstrations also?

What other tourist places are near "hotspots"?

Po

For right now, the prior problems with access to airports and the bus and train networks have pretty much subsided.... Everything's running again now....in terms of greater Bangkok and Thailand at large.

However, the protests continue.... and as long as they do, it's impossible to predict what things PAD might target where and when -- apart from the ongoing main protest sites around Govt. House. So that creates some uncertainties.

Based on current circumstances, I wouldn't put off any planned trip. But I would monitor closely info sources like the Bangkok Post or Nation newspaper to keep tabs on the situation as it evolves. It's impossible to predict where things will stand two weeks from now.

But right now, life in BKK for the most part goes on as usual....

Safe. Life goes on. Safe is relative.

there might be problems with water, electricity, phones, public transport and access to the airports - if you don't have to be in bangkok now, just wait when it's over

are you kidding, or do you know something the rest of us dont?

I hear there might be a hurricane heading towards florida, if you dont have to visit, just wait till its over too. :D

Then again, if you read another thread on here regarding the world ending on Sept 10, something to do with a super collider thingy in France, there might be problems with water, electricity, phones, public transport and access to airports in Bangkok as well.

My suggestion, the day before you travel, try logging on to TV or other sites in Thailand. If we are still online, then it's safe to assume we have electricity at least. :o

LOL . . water, phones, power etc? What a crock of shit. It's completely business as usual. Just as life continues irrespective of normal politics here in Thailand, so to does it continue when politics goes bad.

Hi all...

I am planning to visit bangkok on 18th SEP, but am a bit worried due to all the negative reports these few days on the demo.

For you guys staying in bangkok, kindly advise the real situation there...media is not trustworthy all the time...

Thks in advance

Nick

Where are you coming from ? If you are flying in then you will stand a greater risk of having a traffic accident getting to your airport of departure than you will from anything going on here. If you are already in Thailand and you are driving in then why are you even concerned about potential problems in BKK the natural rate of attrition on the roads makes for a far more dangerous and exciting time ?

Business as usual here no problems, more people get hurt and killed in Italy at AC Milan v Inter matches.

Khao San is perfectly safe. Thousands of tourists shopping and drinking each night just like every other day of the year.

This may be true - but Khao San is still perilously close to Ratchadamnoen Ave - which the DAAD marched down on their way to Gov't House.

I don't consider that perfectly safe.

Wat Phra Kaew is next to the Grand Palace - so I would probably avoid that as well. Wat Arun might be okay.

Firstly, the Grand Palace should be just fine along with Wat Phra Kaew because despite the protests from both sides, I don't believe one person on either side would get within 50 yards of the above mentioned locations.

As for Wat Arun, it's on the other side of the river, unless the protesters are now in boats and have taken to protesting at Wats, I think you will be fine.

as an aside I got beaten senseless some where between soi 4 and soi 15 in nana last night, was I drunk? I have no idea as my recollection of the whole day is lost thanks to a hard blow to the head, however I have spent about 4 years in that area previously with only good vibes

There's nothing going on in the Nana/Sukhumvit area regarding the PAD protests...

Are you trying to connect your problem with PAD, or just throwing in an unrelated account???

not connecting it to pad, just my take on if its safe to visit bkk at the moment, perhaps a local was angry that he had no customers that night because tourist numbers are down, or perhaps it was just an uptight farang, they didnt have the curtisy to inform me altho they relieved me of my cash and visa card but kindly left my phone