Internet Strategy

canopy

I am moving to a house without a landline in Phetchabun province. I have a desktop and a laptop that I would like to have internet access to. I plan is get a mobile with WCDMA/EDGE/GPRS and hope for the best. What is better for that area and this type usage, DTAC or AIS? Do I need extra hardware so both systems can share the internet connection off the mobile phone? Or can both connect simultaneously via bluetooth? Or is there a completely other way to go that would be better? I've read about the CAT CDMA EV-DO modem but not sure if there is CDMA there or if this modem would be of any advantage. Any advice appreciated.

I am moving to a house without a landline in Phetchabun province. I have a desktop and a laptop that I would like to have internet access to. I plan is get a mobile with WCDMA/EDGE/GPRS and hope for the best. What is better for that area and this type usage, DTAC or AIS? Do I need extra hardware so both systems can share the internet connection off the mobile phone? Or can both connect simultaneously via bluetooth? Or is there a completely other way to go that would be better? I've read about the CAT CDMA EV-DO modem but not sure if there is CDMA there or if this modem would be of any advantage. Any advice appreciated.

WCDMA is not available yet in the Northeast. EDGE is an ok option, but can really suffer when the rest of the area gets saturated with phone calls.

That leaves CDMA. Few people are on CAT's network, so it should have fewer slow downs. Another good thing is that CAT allows you to return the modem on the same day you bought it if there is no coverage in your area.

Bluetooth allows you to share an internet connection. Under Windows it's fairly easy. Otherwise, if you want to use a router/switch, you'd have to set up internet connection sharing on the system with the modem, connect it to the WAN port on the router/switch, and then connect the other system to the router/switch.

Also there are routers which allow you to drop in an 'Aircard' (pcmcia modem) and share the connection either wirelessly or over ethernet. However, these can run 150+ USD.