Pda / Pocket Pc Users

stumonster

anyone using a PDA running Msofts PocketPC OS what software do you use for various tasks.

eg mp3s , movies , image viewing , web browsing , pop email client , ftp client , im client , firewall.

any open source stuff that you might recommend?

I intend to purchase a dell axim x50v

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...c=sg&l=en&s=bsd

:o

A few things:

Watching movies encoded for the PDA: BetaPlayer is quite nice & open source. Try downloading the 640 x 480 px version of the Matrix Trailer, is gorgeous on VGA screen.

WIFI sniffer / wardriving utility: WiFiFoFum is the only thing that currently seems to work with the VGA models. It has a nice 'radar view' that allows you to visualise the relative strength of hotspots around you. Open source (I think), anyway, its free.

File manager: Resco File Explorer is excellent - one of my favourite bits of PDA software. It has an FTP plugin that works well, supports file encryption and can also look inside zip folders without unpacking them. It's not free though. They also have a nice image viewer program (again, not free).

Ephemeris: This is sort of nerd-ware, but it actually comes in quite useful and hey I just like it. Calculates the sun/moon rise/set times and direction for any point on earth at a given date, also moon phases / use as a compass.

Pocket Skype: Way cool, but I think you know that one already !

Aximsite is a pretty useful site for finding other stuff.