Tourist Visa To Canada

My Thai bf is planning to visit me in Canada next summer for several months and I'm wondering how long and difficult the tourist visa application process is... I will be providing him with a letter of invitation.. wondering if its advisable to have him purchase his return airline ticket before he applies for the visa.. how far in advance should he apply? what difficulties might we expect? and any other advice, suggestions would be most welcome..

See also Temporary Resident

Visiting Canada

Statistical information: Applications processed at Canadian visa offices

Visiting Canada: Letter of invitation for countries whose citizens require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada

Visiting Canada — Applying for a temporary resident visa outside Canada (IMM 5256):

When should I apply?

Applications should be made at least one month before your intended departure date.

Note: If you are mailing your application, allow up to eight weeks for it to be received as mail services can vary.

My Thai bf is planning to visit me in Canada next summer for several months and I'm wondering how long and difficult the tourist visa application process is... I will be providing him with a letter of invitation.. wondering if its advisable to have him purchase his return airline ticket before he applies for the visa.. how far in advance should he apply? what difficulties might we expect? and any other advice, suggestions would be most welcome..

sunluvr,

My Thai husband (who was my bf at the time) has received two Tourist visas (Temporary Resident visas) to Canada.

The most important thing you guys need to do is to show that he must return to Thailand. This involves a letter from his employer, proof of any assets, ties to family etc. Pm me for more details.

He does not need to buy his ticket just show an itinerary, you can only apply up to 3 months prior to going. Posting (or sending me a PM) more about his situation would make it easier to help you out. What does he do? Does he own any land? You live and work in Canada? etc.

Edited by meme

Do not get your hopes up! We had an application rejected even though he had land a truck money in the bank and had traveled to Europe. Reasons............Age and poor job! I talked about this with a friend who works in The Australian Embassy and they were surprised at the rejection. In my view the Operation is poorly run with capricious staff (including Canadian Supervisor) so acceptance is a crap shoot........................

Do not get your hopes up! We had an application rejected even though he had land a truck money in the bank and had traveled to Europe. Reasons............Age and poor job! I talked about this with a friend who works in The Australian Embassy and they were surprised at the rejection. In my view the Operation is poorly run with capricious staff (including Canadian Supervisor) so acceptance is a crap shoot........................

• 1 month later...

My wife (gf at the time) came to Canada 2 times in the last year on 3 month tourist visas. Make sure you cover all their concerns, most importantly "Will the Thai return to Thailand at the end of visa?". I wrote 1 letter of invitation to her talking about the "touristy" things we will do, and another letter to the embassy clarifying that I have invited her, am covering all expenses, providing a place for her to stay, return ticket, drive to and from airport etc. And we even put a few thousand dollars in her bank account and showed a bank statement proving she already has all the money for expenses. I also provided tax statements etc proving my assets. On the application, she listed as many family members as possible and showed her business license and bank statements showing cash flow in Thailand. In our letter we also mentioned something that she needed to be back to thailand for. For example, the first time she was going back home right after xmas, so we stated that she will spend xmas in Canada then she needs to get back to her family for her Lahu New Years festival in Thailand. Just provide as much information as you can about why they are going back to Thailand at the end of the visa. That is their main concern. Oh ya, and travel agents in Thailand can provide you with an e-ticket "itinerary" that shows the ticket is confirmed. It doesn't cost them anything to book the ticket and cancel it later, so they will do this for a very small fee. The embassy will definately want to see this "ticket". Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 4 weeks later...
My wife (gf at the time) came to Canada 2 times in the last year on 3 month tourist visas. Make sure you cover all their concerns, most importantly "Will the Thai return to Thailand at the end of visa?". I wrote 1 letter of invitation to her talking about the "touristy" things we will do, and another letter to the embassy clarifying that I have invited her, am covering all expenses, providing a place for her to stay, return ticket, drive to and from airport etc. And we even put a few thousand dollars in her bank account and showed a bank statement proving she already has all the money for expenses. I also provided tax statements etc proving my assets. On the application, she listed as many family members as possible and showed her business license and bank statements showing cash flow in Thailand. In our letter we also mentioned something that she needed to be back to thailand for. For example, the first time she was going back home right after xmas, so we stated that she will spend xmas in Canada then she needs to get back to her family for her Lahu New Years festival in Thailand. Just provide as much information as you can about why they are going back to Thailand at the end of the visa. That is their main concern. Oh ya, and travel agents in Thailand can provide you with an e-ticket "itinerary" that shows the ticket is confirmed. It doesn't cost them anything to book the ticket and cancel it later, so they will do this for a very small fee. The embassy will definately want to see this "ticket". Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Blakegeee,

Thanks for your post. I have a couple of questions. I have heard the amount needed to show "proof of assets" is 200,000 baht (about 6700Cdn) Does that sound correct? Also, is that money "frozen" ie. can it be removed or transferred (as in paid back to me) while she is in Canada or after she gets back without dire consequences ie. deportation.

Hi Blakegeee,

Thanks for your post. I have a couple of questions. I have heard the amount needed to show "proof of assets" is 200,000 baht (about 6700Cdn) Does that sound correct? Also, is that money "frozen" ie. can it be removed or transferred (as in paid back to me) while she is in Canada or after she gets back without dire consequences ie. deportation.

Hi there,

I have never heard of a set amount, but its possible that there is an amount they are looking for. Basically, it will make them happy if they can see that she has enough money in the bank to live in Canada for the proposed time. It is by no means frozen. When we did it, I put into her bank a bit more than 200,000b the day before we went to apply at the embassy and then got a bank statement. We told them that I put the money in there so she has it to spend in Canada. Then they don't have to take your word for it so much that "all her expenses are covered, I promise". After the application, we had to wait 2-3 days for an interview. During that time we actually took the money out already as we needed it for business. So at the interview, she showed the bank statement showing all the money but the account was actually empty already. And, we got the visa, and then did it again 6 months later. Just try to think of what doubts they may have and make sure you have it covered. Talk about what she needs to get back to Thailand for 3 months later, like she is already looking forward to seeing her family, and she obviously isn't interested in staying in Canada longer. Basically, don't let them have any reason to say no.

PM me if you want me to proofread your letter. We did two letters. One more casual-like letter of invitation to her and one more formal letter to embassy basically confirming that I invited her. That was just our idea though and it did work. It seems a little more natural to me.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband was refused twice for a TRV to Canada. The first time we weren't married yet, I was still on a Non-Imm. B Visa, I was pregnant and had not been working for at least a year, living in his home and was living off my savings from my last job. The second time he was refused, our child was 5 months old, I was still not working. My husband owns land (showed his Chanot), he owns a truck(showed his regular car payments) and showed he has a steady but small income from palm, there is no bank in his town so we were dealing with cash receipts from the palm company. Now, I'm starting to work again. I have an 'O' Visa. I have travelled to Canada with our child alone and am returning to Thailand.

Do you think he has any chance of getting a TRV after being refused twice seeing as our circumstances have changed? or is it impossible???