Never Been To Hua Hin: Worth The Trip?

doninusa

Despite many trips to Thailand over the past 7 years, I have never been to Hua Hin. I have been from Kanchanaburi to Ubon, Chiang Mai to Phuket but have never made the short trip to Hua Hin. What is it like and what is there to do. I have read about it, but I am interested in a recent assessment of the pros and cons of the place compared to Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Koh Chang, etc. as a beach destination. Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Hua Hin is a rather slow pace compared to most of the places you mentioned. It does have fairly good beaches, but you will find the beaches near Cha Am a bit better as they don't tend to disappear at high tide.

I'm not much into night life so can only relay what I have heard, if you are big on night life you might find HH lacking. Don't get me wrong they do have bars and BG but not nearly as many as most LOS tourist areas.

The expats here for the most part are retired,Since I have no idea what your likes and dislikes are it is rather hard to elaborate to much. I've lived in the area for a couple of years and can't really come up with a place I would rather be. But then I fall into the retired expat category and it dosen't take a whole lot to keep me happy.

Suggest yiou give it a try.

It's a great place to sit under a sea of beach umbrellas with your toes in the sand enjoying fresh seafood and cold beer as you watch the holiday makers take pony rides down the beach.

The chatchai night market is a great stop for dinner and snacks, as well as the restaurants sitting on stilts over the water by the town pier.

Rent a motorbike and take a tour around...see the view from Takiab....breathtaking.

A lovely place to visit,A subdued nightlife and thank God not a thing like Pattaya.

Go before it's a memory.

It's a great place to sit under a sea of beach umbrellas with your toes in the sand enjoying fresh seafood and cold beer as you watch the holiday makers take pony rides down the beach.

The chatchai night market is a great stop for dinner and snacks, as well as the restaurants sitting on stilts over the water by the town pier.

Rent a motorbike and take a tour around...see the view from Takiab....breathtaking.

A lovely place to visit,A subdued nightlife and thank God not a thing like Pattaya.

Go before it's a memory.

and don't forget the Marukatayawan !

Great place with fantastic market & friendly atmosphere. Lovely beaches allround or only a short trip South or North of Hua Hin...found though that the town is full of girly bars over the last year & quite a few open until 4-5am, so that is there if you need it

Here's a list of stuff:

New park opened 20 mins away with crazy golf, fishing, giant chess, petanuque (<deleted>?), camping, BBQ, massage, bar etc

Golf courses and driving ranges

Khao Takiab mountain (feeding monkeys and view across HH bay)

Pala-U waterfall about 70 minutes away

Khao Wang Petchaburi (old palace and temples set high on a mountain with fantastic views, cable car etc for those who don't like the hike up)

Fishing Pier

Elephant trekking places near town

Markets in town are always interesting and good eating places

Boat trips to monkey Island, fishing and to Sam Roi Yod National Park

Maruekatayawan Palace halfway to Cha Am, old Teakwood Palace that you can walk round, next to beach

Khao Hin Lek Fai near town with various viewpoints over town and beach

Muay Thai boxing nights

Fishing, two fishing parks (lakes) nearby stocked with large fish

Bowling alley and cinema

Shooting (at the ranges round town)

Paintball, Go karting, ATVs

Sam Roi Yod National Park - lots to see there, 1 hour away.

Cheers,

Edited by Burgernev

• 2 weeks later...

Great list, Burgernev!

One question: Are there movie theaters showing Hollywood movies in English (or European/Australian movies in original soundtrack) ?

Every time I went to the Major Cineplex at Marketplace (?), they had only Hollywood movies dubbed in Thai. Do they ever play the English movies in the original soundtrack?

Fab photos as always Vulcan :o

I like Hua Hin, its a favorite destination of both myself and my husband when we manage to take a holiday together. Neither one of us is interested in partying so the quiet pace is to our style. Nice variety of western restaurants and great selection of Thai seafood.

Hi

Here with wife and 2 kids.

Still here in Hua Hin, been here now 2 weeks.

2 weeks in Pattaya now just finishing off here in Hua Hin.

Conclusion Hua Hin is very expensive compared to Pattaya;

Hotel same standard about the 70% of the price.

Taxis about slightly cheaper.

Food cheaper.

Beer cheaper about 70% of the price (San Miguel 50 baht).

Attractions endless in Pattaya day or night. You can find thing's to do during the day here in Hua Hin but at night nothing except Tesco's. Fortunately my 2 kids are under 12 so they are tired about 11 am.

What is their to do???????

Here's a list of stuff:

New park opened 20 mins away with crazy golf, fishing, giant chess, petanuque (<deleted>?), camping, BBQ, massage, bar etc

Golf courses and driving ranges

Khao Takiab mountain (feeding monkeys and view across HH bay)

Pala-U waterfall about 70 minutes away

Khao Wang Petchaburi (old palace and temples set high on a mountain with fantastic views, cable car etc for those who don't like the hike up)

Fishing Pier

Elephant trekking places near town

Markets in town are always interesting and good eating places

Boat trips to monkey Island, fishing and to Sam Roi Yod National Park

Maruekatayawan Palace halfway to Cha Am, old Teakwood Palace that you can walk round, next to beach

Khao Hin Lek Fai near town with various viewpoints over town and beach

Muay Thai boxing nights

Fishing, two fishing parks (lakes) nearby stocked with large fish

Bowling alley and cinema

Shooting (at the ranges round town)

Paintball, Go karting, ATVs

Sam Roi Yod National Park - lots to see there, 1 hour away.

Cheers,

Where is this Park???????

Hi

Here with wife and 2 kids.

Still here in Hua Hin, been here now 2 weeks.

2 weeks in Pattaya now just finishing off here in Hua Hin.

Food cheaper.

Attractions endless in Pattaya day or night. You can find thing's to do during the day here in Hua Hin but at night nothing except Tesco's. Fortunately my 2 kids are under 12 so they are tired about 11 am.

What is their to do???????

You're getting the drift! It's a clever plan to keep the riff-raff away. :o

Asbestos wrote:

Food cheaper.

Where is this Park???????
Seeing as your main criteria for having a good holiday is saving a few bob I better not tell you where it is as it cost 5 Baht each to get in.

Pattaya is much better.

Cheers,