Confusion Over Certifying A Degree For Teaching

Zoot

Hi Folks,

I work at a Rajabhat in Issan and it's time to extend my visa and work permit.

The local immigration office believe I need to supply three certified copies of my degree (and TESOL). I believe what they want is my degree certified as genuine and not just certified copies. (As I really don't know what either implies I may have some misunderstanding here)

I have to apply to the British Embassy for this. Their website says they certify documents for 1625B. I have not seen anything on the site for certified copies.

Does anyone know what I actually need? If I have to certify my degree (and TESOL) surely I don't have to do this THREE times!? That would be nigh on 10,000B!!

Any help would be appriciated.

-- Zoot

HI Folks,

Well, yesterday we got someone higher up in the Rajabhat to ring the Imm office and instantly he got the answer only our highest qualification needs to be certified. The guy that was dealing with it, is only 24 so he's very "Nong". He had rung several times and always got the answer "the degrees need to be certified 3 times". He found the Imm officials very unfriendly.

Anyway, I'm 8500B better off. (Except for that used on two beers to celebrate!)

-- Zoot

If you provide an original degree, doesn't the school or government agency "make a few calls" to assure your degree is legitimate if need be? This is the first I've heard of a degree certification requirement??????

Clarifications anyone?

Regards,

Martian

If you provide an original degree, doesn't the school or government agency "make a few calls" to assure your degree is legitimate if need be? This is the first I've heard of a degree certification requirement??????

Clarifications anyone?

Regards,

Martian

Martian, most Thai schools and labour officers know less about making a call to Ashtabula or Winnipeg than your average Martian knows. I worked at Thai schools where almost nobody knew how to dial overseas, nor did they know what time zones were. They can spot a really obvious fake, like "Bashelur of Injunearing" but they do not know one real uni from the next, although they might have a list of diploma mills. Most embassies do not verify degrees.

Hi Folks,

I work at a Rajabhat in Issan and it's time to extend my visa and work permit.

The local immigration office believe I need to supply three certified copies of my degree (and TESOL). I believe what they want is my degree certified as genuine and not just certified copies. (As I really don't know what either implies I may have some misunderstanding here)

I have to apply to the British Embassy for this. Their website says they certify documents for 1625B. I have not seen anything on the site for certified copies.

Does anyone know what I actually need? If I have to certify my degree (and TESOL) surely I don't have to do this THREE times!? That would be nigh on 10,000B!!

Any help would be appriciated.

-- Zoot

I teach at a Govt. school (EP) in Issan and never heard of this happening to anyone. When I was going for my non B the immigration officer asked to see my original degree. He glanced at it quickly, thanked me and that was it. A TEFL or TESOL is not even a requirement so obviously the guy you were dealing with did not know what the hel_l he was doing. Typical in the LOS. :o

Clarifications anyone?

Regards,

Martian

Martian, most Thai schools and labour officers know less about making a call to Ashtabula or Winnipeg than your average Martian knows. I worked at Thai schools where almost nobody knew how to dial overseas, nor did they know what time zones were. They can spot a really obvious fake, like "Bashelur of Injunearing" but they do not know one real uni from the next, although they might have a list of diploma mills. Most embassies do not verify degrees.

Another nice one PeaceBlondie. I like the Ashtabula reference. Sure hits home! I guess that certifying degrees isn't something I should worry about then.

Thanks!

Martrian

At our school, I must 'verify' every new employees degree. This usually means I send an email or letter to the school asking if so and so attended the school and received a degree on such and such a date. Unfortunately, about 50% I get a reply from the school that says: "no one by that name has attended this school".

Clarifications anyone?

This sounds a new regulation.

He already spent 1 year at the school and this is the first time he's been asked for notarization or verfiication.

Isolated incident? Mistake? Or new policy?

I just picked Ashtabula out of my posterior, not realizing you were a Buckeye. Seriously, bring a real degree original, even if not printed on the skin of a sheep - and bring several sealed transcripts. You know, from University of Mars, North Pole Campus.

I enrolled with the South Pole Campus by distance learning. The delay time of the radio transmissions turned my two year degree into a four year degree! Very convenient and saved money!

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

Scott. Not sure where you're from. I'm presently studying for a degree with the UK's Open University (distance learning, but very reputable - produce a lot of educational programs on TV, do research etc). Have you ever had any problems verifying people who have studied with the OU?

I don't want to find that after studying hard in the evenings, while working and raising a very young daughter, that my degree is not recognised. Seems to me it should be worth double.

Clarifications anyone?

Regards,

Martian

You are asked to have your degree certified at your embassy if the institution in question didn't reply to e-mail messages or fax. That's what's done where I work.

Eastender: Provided your school is accredited, there should be no distinction between an open university and a campus-based education. Even if it is not accredited, the MOE probably doesn't have a complete list of schools that aren't. They have the names of some of the diploma mills, however, where you basically pay them and they give you credit for your life experience.