Cha Am

ray23

I currently live in Udon for the past two years, I have tried following the forum about Cha Am and Hua Hin. Not seeing much about the quaulity of life there. The only information that I can seem to find is that Cha Am is a Thia resort area and Hua Hin is more fallang orientated.

Any info would be appreciated.

I plan a trip in the next few weeks to Cha Am and Hua Hin, to look for myself it would be nice to have some direction to start the search in.

Your input would be appreciated

I currently live in Udon for the past two years, I have tried following the forum about Cha Am and Hua Hin. Not seeing much about the quaulity of life there. The only information that I can seem to find is that Cha Am is a Thia resort area and Hua Hin is more fallang orientated.

Any info would be appreciated.

I plan a trip in the next few weeks to Cha Am and Hua Hin, to look for myself it would be nice to have some direction to start the search in.

Your input would be appreciated

Come on guys I'm bringing my wife will leave the local ladies alone. Fill me in a little on life at the beach.

Cha Am is a nice but quiet place with a handful of good bars but its growing. Perfect place to take the wife. Life on the beach is better in Cha Am than Hua Hin in my opinion. Less vendor hassle there and lots of beer and good food.

If you like it a little more lively then I'd say Hua Hin is more your thing.

:o

Thank you exactly what I wanted to know, the answer is I'm very kick back, don't golf. However we do bowl and our other hobby is motorcyce touring. Does Cha Am have a big C ? Lotus ? a bowling alley?

Can you find some farrang foods within a 30 KM drive for shopping?

Will 10K a month get you a reasonable house unfirnished to rent, somewhere near the beach? Or a view of the ocean?

If not a best guess, doesn't have to be a mansion there are only two of us. A good water supply would be nice, even if that means a storage tank. UBC pretty much covers the home entertainment needs.

I have recided in Thailand for two years so I know a rental means fixing a place up.

I want to thank you for your response I really appreciate your insight

The 2 places are like night and day.

Cha Am has a MUCH smaller feel to it; much more a large village whose shoreline gets crammed with non-rich Thais on weekends and holidays.

HH is more for monied Thais, has a bigger tourist capacity and infrastucture; and is developing quickly.

Shopping is very limited in C A; much less so in HH.....particularly for western goods and food

Cost of living cheaper in C A

You can get a decent place on a long term rental for 10K in either place...you'll just get more house in C A.........in neither will you get seaview for that price.

Closest Big C is in Petchiburi.........35 min from C A, and 50 min from HH

If you've got bikes you've got infinate choices of beaches in either location (and in between).

A day in C A and a couple in HH, particularly if you use a motorcyke, will give you enough time to feel these places out.

Enjoy your exploration.

The 2 places are like night and day.

Cha Am has a MUCH smaller feel to it; much more a large village whose shoreline gets crammed with non-rich Thais on weekends and holidays.

HH is more for monied Thais, has a bigger tourist capacity and infrastucture; and is developing quickly.

Shopping is very limited in C A; much less so in HH.....particularly for western goods and food

Cost of living cheaper in C A

You can get a decent place on a long term rental for 10K in either place...you'll just get more house in C A.........in neither will you get seaview for that price.

Closest Big C is in Petchiburi.........35 min from C A, and 50 min from HH

If you've got bikes you've got infinate choices of beaches in either location (and in between).

A day in C A and a couple in HH, particularly if you use a motorcyke, will give you enough time to feel these places out.

Enjoy your exploration.

Road Trip, most definetly, even in Udon it takes 20 mins to Big C, so thats not so bad I though 10K was dreaming for beach view may have to increase the budget a bit, but for the right thing it would be worth it.

Thanks for your input really appreciated

10K !? I haven't met anyone in Cha Am who pays 10K for a place. Try between 3 and 8K for a more realistic figure.

Very true, yet most of the creature comforts can be found there.

Cha Am is becoming more Westerner freindly slowly but surely.

10K !? I haven't met anyone in Cha Am who pays 10K for a place. Try between 3 and 8K for a more realistic figure.

Very true, yet most of the creature comforts can be found there.

Cha Am is becoming more Westerner freindly slowly but surely.

Actually so far Cha Am doesn't sound a lot different then Udon, smaller I think Udon has a population of around 300 K. The rents sound about the same I pay 5K here for a decent place, some are less others are more.

I really require less and less farrang type items and most of those I get from shopping trips and then prepare the food from home. An occasional burger, pizza and the like outside.

It really doesn't sound as if it is that bad a drive to get them if the urge hits. Whats the closest immigration location, for reporting Ect?

Anyone got a guess on the costs of rents for a beach view ?

Thanks guys your input is great

There are plenty of Farang orientated restaraunts on the Beach Road where you can satisfy your pizza and burger cravings.

I'm not sure about the price of actual beach view accomodation but nice looking houses just set back from the beach road go from between 6 - 8 K.

Thanks so much for your information, Udon is without a doubt a great place to live I just miss the beach. Maybe I will get to live my lifes dream yet, a place on the beach and enough money to be comfortable. Thailand truly is an amazing place.

Hi

Be very carefull about the advice form Cha Am guys, especially Prof Fart AKA 66fergy, Kananga, Kanaga's, Goosethai, Duckthai and Moobie and the rest of his silly names.

Cha Am is nothing loke Udon Thani, its for the lower caste Thai's or the last stop for the cheap charlie "Farrang" before they are kicked out or leave. They live in 2 specific area's "PJ Park" (prostitutes and junkies) or Rumsuk (flood area) both are about the same price 3,000 one is made up of town housea in a Soi near the beach the other small bungalows the furthest area away from the beach. The little money they have left after giving it to the live ins they spend on a bus to Bangkok and go out on a Monday night. They call this living.

Frostback has it summed up nicely.

Hi

Be very carefull about the advice form Cha Am guys, especially Prof Fart AKA 66fergy, Kananga, Kanaga's, Goosethai, Duckthai and Moobie and the rest of his silly names.

Cha Am is nothing loke Udon Thani, its for the lower caste Thai's or the last stop for the cheap charlie "Farrang" before they are kicked out or leave.  They live in 2 specific area's "PJ Park" (prostitutes and junkies) or Rumsuk (flood area) both are about the same price 3,000 one is made up of town housea in a Soi near the beach the other small bungalows the furthest area away from the beach.  The little money they have left after giving it to the live ins they spend on a bus to Bangkok and go out on a Monday night.  They call this living.

Frostback has it summed up nicely.

Thanks for the input, Hua Hin is still on the search list

Kan Win,

That looks like the Methavalai hotel? I've not stayed there but have heard good things about it, and apparently not too expensive either. Did you stay there? If so, how did you rate it?

My GF & I like visiting Hua Hin for the odd weekend but I thought Cha Am might make a pleasant change next time.

Nice photos by the way.

Thanks,

CC :o

Kan Win,

That looks like the Methavalai hotel? I've not stayed there but have heard good things about it, and apparently not too expensive either. Did you stay there? If so, how did you rate it?

My GF & I like visiting Hua Hin for the odd weekend but I thought Cha Am might make a pleasant change next time.

Nice photos by the way.

Thanks,

CC  :o

Love that hotel, where is it, do you have a name, phone number web site? We are leaving next Tuesday I would like to try to book rooms

Whilw you're in Cha Am, if you check out the Paradise Bar at the Northern end of the Beach Road (especially on a Monday when they have darts night) I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to answer any questions you may have there.

Enjoy!

Thanks should be fun exploring

Whilw you're in Cha Am, if you check out the Paradise Bar at the Northern end of the Beach Road (especially on a Monday when they have darts night) I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to answer any questions you may have there.

Enjoy!

Thanks should be fun exploring

Wont take you long, same as the British Legion back home, full of old farts.

:D:D

Captain Chaos

Correct. It is as you mentioned. :D

BTW that photo was taken from the 4th floor bedroom that I stayed in, how did you know it was:-

That looks like the Methavalai hotel
:D

and a night photo ? :D

Any way. Stay there unless they are full. :D

Just under 2000 Baht. Rooms nice and clean, beds great, walking distance to a few restaurants and the Beach just across a little road as you know. :o

Kan Win

P.S. Kan get on the Web with my Lap Top (in my room) using local phone numbers and they do not charge you an arm and a leg for the local calls. Hence I stay there. :D

P.P.S. Thank You re: my Photo's :D

Edited by Kan Win

I thought about staying in Cha Am last month, for a change to staying in central Hua Hin. At the last moment I switched over to stay down at the far southern end of HH in Takiab Bay, which, overall, was not quite so nice (although going up to the temple on Khao Takiab hill itself is recommended - by me at least)

The Methavalai is a very distinctive building design, which is how I was able to recognize from your photo.

I think I'll stay there next time :o

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tread for one more who want to make the move.

I just drive from Phuket to Rayong, last week. My first trip longer than to Phang-nga, with a car in eight years and I got so surprised over the good behave on the roads all the way and return. Did not see one accident. :D

Here in Phuket I see one almost every day and the driving...is ¤#&¤# :o

Can someone tell about the traffic situation in Hua Hin and Cha am.

I like outdoor life and for each day, week, month the possibilities for biking, running etc get squeezed in here in Phuket.

I stayed over one night in "Prachup Kiri Khan" on the way back and it was very nice and quit there.

Is Cha am or Hua Hin something like Prachup Kiri Khan?

Any info welcome.

Thanks & Regards

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody any ideas about a place to stay in HH or C A on my way to BKK, travel with the family, one wife and one baby.

Looking for a nice and clean place for around 1.000Baht.

Edited by limbos

• 2 weeks later...
Wont take you long, same as the British Legion back home, full of old farts.

Yeah you should know :o same as a week or two ago, some pricks from Hua Hin, came to Kens B/dayat the Lodge bar, for some free grub it appears :D ?? brought some nice pussy with them though :D

Edited by 66fergy

"Erco" wouldn't be another one of his names, would it? :o

petchburi is an atmospheric thai town , relatively unpolluted by falangs and pizza and darts.

the coastal strip between petchburi and cha-am is worth a look.

and might make a good place to live.

should you feel the need for some intellectual stimulation the community of sozzled,dribbling and drooling falang retirees is not too far away in cha-am.

judging by what i read from cha-am posters here i get the impression it's a cross between felixstowe and frinton but without the excitement.

you should check them out on your trip (the coastal strip , not the zombies)

turn left off the main road at big C to haat chaaw samraan and explore.

Edited by taxexile

petchburi is an atmospheric thai town , relatively unpolluted by falangs and pizza and darts.

the coastal strip between petchburi and cha-am is worth a look.

and might make a good place to live.

should you feel the need for some intellectual stimulation the community of sozzled,dribbling and drooling falang retirees is not too far away in cha-am.

judging by what i read from cha-am posters here i get the impression it's a cross between felixstowe and frinton but without the excitement.

you should check them out on your trip (the coastal strip , not the zombies)

turn left off the main road at big C to haat chaaw samraan and explore.

This is about it, the beach at Puktian and Cha Am Lagoon avoid the town as it has its problems. Load motorbikes and Bannana boats, dogs all over the place, its a place where the Thais go with pick-ups loaded with Thais and food and booze.

Edited by shandiman