Interest Rates At Banks

Hello,

at my current bank, Kasikorn, I'm getting only somewhat around 1% on my savings account book with ATM card.

I have a few other books as well, like one with 3,8% for a fixed deposit account for 5 months.

Not bad, but I have read in a property market magazine that permanent residents can get 7% or something like that?

What can I do to get such a rate? Could I get it with a Non-Immigrant-B visa or when having a work permit?

thanks,

pepi

The Kasikorn Bank pays 0.75% interest on its basic savings account, then less tax on that (15%) so that gives a savings rate of 0.6%.

The best deal available now (September 1st-30th 2008) is 4% at the TMB. They accept a fixed term 5 month deposit of 50,000-5 million baht.

Considering that the baht is strenghthening against the GBP (60) today, the TMB offer is good.

term deposits or government bonds will be the way to go.

can I get these as a foreigner? Which interest rates could I expect?

I am pondering over a difficult decision right now - consolidating my losses in western banks by selling these fond papers, moving to fixed-term deposits or bonds in Asia, at the same time securing the value of the devaluating Euro.

Could I really get 7% fixed or something like that, this would ease the pain of having lost thousands of Euros during the last months, and even if the Euro should gain against the THB again (which is unlikely at least for 1 more year to come, imho).

I really can't afford to lose more money, I'm working on securing my pension and retirement.

thanks,

p.

Edited by pepi2005

term deposits or government bonds will be the way to go.

can I get these as a foreigner? Which interest rates could I expect?

I am pondering over a difficult decision right now - consolidating my losses in western banks by selling these fond papers, moving to fixed-term deposits or bonds in Asia, at the same time securing the value of the devaluating Euro.

Could I really get 7% fixed or something like that, this would ease the pain of having lost thousands of Euros during the last months, and even if the Euro should gain against the THB again (which is unlikely at least for 1 more year to come, imho).

I really can't afford to lose more money, I'm working on securing my pension and retirement.

thanks,

p.

Last month I got offered a 5% rate on a fixed account ....funds tied up for 3 years at BKK's UOB bank.

I don't no of any higher rates being offered, but would like to.

Champee

Could I really get 7% fixed or something like that

not in Thailand (presently). case closed :o

Anywhere else in Asia? if so is it possible to open it without being resident in that country?

thanks

you can get 7% in New Zealand Dollars and Aussie Dollars in Hong Kong and Singapore. no need to be a resident. the jury is still out to decide whether it is advisable to invest in these two currencies who have dropped like stones since a few weeks.