Western Food Cooking Class For Thais

Furbie

Folks, I was hoping you could help. My GF wants to learn how to cook Western food and I was wondering if there are any Western food cooking classes for Thais. This does not need to be anything fancy, but it should cover all of the basics.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Folks, I was hoping you could help. My GF wants to learn how to cook Western food and I was wondering if there are any Western food cooking classes for Thais. This does not need to be anything fancy, but it should cover all of the basics.

Any suggestions?

Assuming you know how to cook, invest some time with her onthe weekends and show her. It takes a little while and some patience to build up her confindence, but my mrs now knows her way around the kitchen.

Get a Fannie Farmer cookbook, if she can not read English read it for her and she can write favorite reciepes in Thai. The idea of a cooking school to cook basic meals, make cakes, pies, pastry, etc seems to work here in Thailand, not sure how or why it ever started.

The UFM school has several western cooking courses for Thais.

On the higher end of the scale, Napa Valley veteran chef Sue Farley, now resident in Bangkok, does cooking workshops for Thais.

Googling for either, along with 'bankgok', should net plenty of info.

This thread has me thinking. My partner thinks we cannot invite farang/Thai couples here for dinner because he does not know how to cook Western. His first excuse was that we did not have the kitchen accessories/implements, but that does not ring true. I just asked him again, and said that friends could bring a few things and cooking would be part of the afternoon (our outdoor sala is great in the winter for cooking and eating and singing along with songs by the klong). My American friend has got the Isaan girl cooking lasagna, hamburgers, etc., and she is a good friend of my boyfriend. I am a dufus about cooking, but maybe I could help a little.

Hi,

alway's thought about doing something like this since I will probably enjoy it and since my Thai is reasonable ..... but I'll also have 2 Thai assistants helping during the sessions which include a lot ofhands on experience - I believe you can only learn by doing and not just watching

So I have decided to offer this service - if you visit our website you'll find the cooking lesson link in the left nav frame at the bottom click here

The lessons are designed for the novice in 3 levels, starting with the very basic to the slightly more advanced level.

John

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi John,

Great idea, my wife would like to go to all the courses - she's always asking me how to cook soups and stews, but I'm no help. Let us know when you have a definite date for any of the courses to run and she will come if she is free. Maybe I should come too!

While looking at the Eurogourmet web-site to check out the cookery courses, I noticed your photograph on the main page you hansum man - maybe you should run training courses in Photoshop!

I hope to come and sample the cheesecake later today, once I've finished my chores.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever try any of the options suggested (except the defunct Eurogourmet)? We looked a UFM today but they teach almost exclusively bakery, cakes, bread etc. I want western food, main courses because we mostly eat Thai but it would be nice to get some variety in our lives occasionally. A couple of the upper-crust Italian restaurants around town have classes but they seem aimed at expat wives rather than Thai maids or girlfriends - classes generally taught by foreign chefs with no Thai and little-to-no hands on experience. And my maids already done an Indian cooking class at Mrs Balbir's. Maybe one of those Mexican restaurants could do some classes....mmmm there's an idea :)

My Thai wife of 10 yrs still refuses to learn how to cook western food.......we alternate cooking chores and she knows it's easier on her not to learn how to make falang food or she may end up cooking more. Lucky that I mostly enjoy cooking [when I have time] and I'm very picky when it comes to doing it my way. I can't complain about our agreement because she always does the clean up after I leave a messy kitchen.

My Thai wife was a professorial chef in the USA for over 20 years. Those that know her agree she

is one great cook and can bake like no other. Even though she is Thai her specialty is western food.

I've brought up the idea before to start a school or give private lessons but she is now retired

like myself and does not wish to be employed, darn-it.

• 1 month later...