Driving From Bangkok To Phuket

Duciboy

Last time I was in Thailand was March this year. Every time my wife and myself travel to Thailand we always hire a car to go on small road trips. eg; Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back for the day. We are returning in March 2009 and are going to hire a car to go back to Kanchanaburi then drive down to Phuket. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the roads are like and if there are any certain sections of the drive that have are less facilities (fuel, food etc) in certain parts. Any information is appreciated. Thanks :o

edit: I think I put this in the wrong section. Could a mod please move to Thailand Travel Forum. Thanks

Edited by Duciboy

Last time I was in Thailand was March this year. Every time my wife and myself travel to Thailand we always hire a car to go on small road trips. eg; Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back for the day. We are returning in March 2009 and are going to hire a car to go back to Kanchanaburi then drive down to Phuket. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the roads are like and if there are any certain sections of the drive that have are less facilities (fuel, food etc) in certain parts. Any information is appreciated. Thanks :o

edit: I think I put this in the wrong section. Could a mod please move to Thailand Travel Forum. Thanks

i have driven from bangkok to phuket on a number of occasions and it is a lovely drive. I cant vouch for the roads after surat thani, as i havent driven to phuket in a few years, but i drive bkk to kohphan ngan often and the roads are brilliant with abundant facilities.

the return roads are a little more rough, but all in all a lovely drive with excellent views, good services and great people. I prefer driving south much more than north. less litter, more pride.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply t.s, much appreciated. We are actually only driving to Phuket then flying home from there after a couple of weeks. The friendly people in Thailand goes without saying and I am glad the roads are nice and there are allot of facilities. I am looking forward to the drive even more now after your comments.Cheers :o

i have driven from bangkok to phuket on a number of occasions and it is a lovely drive. I cant vouch for the roads after surat thani, as i havent driven to phuket in a few years, but i drive bkk to kohphan ngan often and the roads are brilliant with abundant facilities.

the return roads are a little more rough, but all in all a lovely drive with excellent views, good services and great people. I prefer driving south much more than north. less litter, more pride.

"A lovely drive" ?? I would call it a very long and boring drive. And stick to the outside lane - in most places the inside will be chewed up by the heavy goods lorries, but watch out for the buses doing 100 kph just one metre from from your rear bumper.

And the best bit is AFTER Surat - the mountains in Phang Nga.

As for facilities... :o just keep an eye out for petrol stations with 7/11s or other mini-marts. Some places have restaurants, but you'll need to speak or read Thai.

I would stick to 7/11s, Nescafe cold coffee in a tin, 7/11 sandwiches (surprisingly good) and try to do it in one go - 10 or 12 hours depending how you drive.

And pray it isn't raining. If it is, tuck in behind a huge lorry and let him clear a path for you. Good luck!

Think of the trip in two halves, the first from Hua Hin (or Cha Am) to Chumpom and the second half from Chumpom to Phuket. The first half is a breeze, a good quality dual carriageway and traffic notwithstanding, a fairly fast road. The road forks at Chumpom and you have a choice - continue straight down the East coast on mostly dual carriageway or head across country to the West coast and take the coast road to Phuket. Taking the first option means you'll get a fairly fast ride to Surathani but it's also a fairly unattractive run. The scenery improves dramatically as you head from Surathani across to Phuket. Taking the other option from Chumpom is much slower but it's a much more interesting drive scenically although sometimes the quality of the road becomes border line. For my money I reckon the scenery to be found going across country from Chumpom is some of the best in Thailand. No shortage of petrol stations, 7-11's and coffee shops although you will find Western food hard to find.

Last time I was in Thailand was March this year. Every time my wife and myself travel to Thailand we always hire a car to go on small road trips. eg; Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back for the day. We are returning in March 2009 and are going to hire a car to go back to Kanchanaburi then drive down to Phuket. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the roads are like and if there are any certain sections of the drive that have are less facilities (fuel, food etc) in certain parts. Any information is appreciated. Thanks :D

Think of the trip in two halves, the first from Hua Hin (or Cha Am) to Chumpom and the second half from Chumpom to Phuket. The first half is a breeze, a good quality dual carriageway and traffic notwithstanding, a fairly fast road. The road forks at Chumpom and you have a choice - continue straight down the East coast on mostly dual carriageway or head across country to the West coast and take the coast road to Phuket. Taking the first option means you'll get a fairly fast ride to Surathani but it's also a fairly unattractive run. The scenery improves dramatically as you head from Surathani across to Phuket. Taking the other option from Chumpom is much slower but it's a much more interesting drive scenically although sometimes the quality of the road becomes border line. For my money I reckon the scenery to be found going across country from Chumpom is some of the best in Thailand. No shortage of petrol stations, 7-11's and coffee shops although you will find Western food hard to find.

Fantastic, thanks for your reply. I think I will take the second option from Chumpom, it sounds wonderful. As I drive allot of long distance's in Australia regularly Melbourne - Sydney 10 hours, Melbourne Brisbane 17 hours straight through I am going to take my time driving from Kanchanaburi - Phuket. My wife would like to stop off along the way, and I want to soak up as much of the Thailand scenery as possible and not let it go by in a flinch of an eye. All of my friends that have driven in Thaliand don't like the tailgating by buses and trucks, I think it is because they are driving way below the speed limit. Me on the other hand need to slow down. Last time driving from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi and back I was doing all the tailgating and overtaking :o and never had the problem of being tailgated. Here in Australia you have to watch out for kangaroo's, cattle, wombats etc and far north Australia emu's that run out in front of you (obviously only in the outback/country and not the metroploitan areas) so I am sure it is the same world wide except the animals are different. I like driving in Thailand as I think it is a controlled craziness with out road rage. I find Thai drivers are courteous if you don't hold them up and drive within their realm. Can't wait to do the drive to Phuket, spend a couple of weeks with friends that live in Patong and own a bar and then unfortunately fly out back to Australia. I would love to bring one of my motorbikes over and tour around the country. Anyway, thanks for replying and sheeding light on what is to be expected. Looks like my wife and myself are going to be in our element. Cheers to all :D

South of Hua Hin near Chumphon, stay in the outside lane and watch your speed. Several places are prone to "Traffic cops" looking to buy their nightly beer rounds.

Also when you get to Phan Na take the "bypass road" (follow the buses) otherwise you have a 1 to 1 1/2 hr drive, driving through a mountain range with very narrow winding roads. Pretty but very dangerous and tiring.

You also can take Hwy 4 to Ranong and down. Some places are windy but scenic.

Some of the Gas Stations offer "Motel" accommodations for around 300B a night.

Nice drive but long. Hua Hin to Phuket 9-10 hours depending on traffic and rain.

South of Hua Hin near Chumphon, stay in the outside lane and watch your speed. Several places are prone to "Traffic cops" looking to buy their nightly beer rounds.

Also when you get to Phan Na take the "bypass road" (follow the buses) otherwise you have a 1 to 1 1/2 hr drive, driving through a mountain range with very narrow winding roads. Pretty but very dangerous and tiring.

You also can take Hwy 4 to Ranong and down. Some places are windy but scenic.

Some of the Gas Stations offer "Motel" accommodations for around 300B a night.

Nice drive but long. Hua Hin to Phuket 9-10 hours depending on traffic and rain.

Thanks Mrjlh

The reply's are very helpful, I am keeping a log of the tips you people are giving - very helpful community :D

I've done the trip probably 20 times in the past 12 years or so, most recently a month ago. There have been some changes that might influence your choice of route.

For years and years, the best way was to turn left off the 41 onto the 401 around Surat Thani, without ever going into Surat of course. However, I've just been that way, and there is very much road works going on and it's a pain. Of course, that way also has the slow big trucks and buses.

The best way today is to continue on the 41 past the 401 until you reach the NEW HIGHWAY 44, then continue on that until you hit highway 4, which will take you to Phuket, and also to Krabi if you'd like to see that on the way. Breathtaking rising mountains and things to be enjoyed along this way, and it's all dual carriageway the whole way on the new highway.

I've never gone the high route to Ranong, etc., so can't comment on that.

Have a nice drive.

I've done the trip probably 20 times in the past 12 years or so, most recently a month ago. There have been some changes that might influence your choice of route.

For years and years, the best way was to turn left off the 41 onto the 401 around Surat Thani, without ever going into Surat of course. However, I've just been that way, and there is very much road works going on and it's a pain. Of course, that way also has the slow big trucks and buses.

The best way today is to continue on the 41 past the 401 until you reach the NEW HIGHWAY 44, then continue on that until you hit highway 4, which will take you to Phuket, and also to Krabi if you'd like to see that on the way. Breathtaking rising mountains and things to be enjoyed along this way, and it's all dual carriageway the whole way on the new highway.

Have a nice drive.

Cheers keemapoot, thanks for your advise and input, I think Krabi sounds nice to stop off along the way, never been there before. The way people are replying, I wont need a road map. Everyone is giving the routes and route numbers to take, fantastic :o and I am sure we will have a nice drive :D

Have a nice drive.

Cheers keemapoot, thanks for your advise and input, I think Krabi sounds nice to stop off along the way, never been there before. The way people are replying, I wont need a road map. Everyone is giving the routes and route numbers to take, fantastic :o and I am sure we will have a nice drive :D

I would still recommend picking up the latest road atlas when you reach Bangkok. You can get it any bookstore. The latest thinknet THAILAND Deluxe Atlas gives you the new highways as well. Don't get anything outdated or you won't get the new Highway 44 as I mentioned.

*BTW, my fastest time was just under 9 hours, my slowest time 12 hours. Just FYI. I would recommend stopping in Krabi for the night, probably at Ao Nang Beach. Lovely.

Edited by keemapoot

Excellent keemapoot, will grab the latest road atlas in Bangkok and will be stopping off in Krabi. Googled Ao Nang Beach and have decided to stay a couple of nights, looks awesome. much appreciated :o

Edited by Duciboy

Bangkok to Phuket, Patong, 9 hours. I did it 3 weeks ago, its a great drive.

mind the trucks when over taking, and dont upset any busses...

plenty of stops with decent food, and plenty of gas stations.

stay on the right lane and watch your speed, I never went over 140.

Bangkok to Phuket, Patong, 9 hours. I did it 3 weeks ago, its a great drive.

mind the trucks when over taking, and dont upset any busses...

plenty of stops with decent food, and plenty of gas stations.

stay on the right lane and watch your speed, I never went over 140.

EXcellent, thanks for the info, much appreciated :o

I would stick to 100 kph going through Surat province. Anything over that may get you stopped unless you are lucky. Except on the day of the coup, every time I have gone down to NST, the speed cops have always been out in Surat.

I would stick to 100 kph going through Surat province. Anything over that may get you stopped unless you are lucky. Except on the day of the coup, every time I have gone down to NST, the speed cops have always been out in Surat.

Thanks for the info Mosha, will heed your advice and keep to 100kph on the open roads