Foreign Arrivals Drop Sharply Due To Political Turmoil

george

I am an airline employee and have as such access to accurate informations on the direct carriers. The occupancy on flights in december is up to a level I haven`t seen in a decade.

I'm very curious to hear more from you....

Shoot with your info about inbound tourism in the PAST months of 2008 so far and the months to come.

Which accurate informations on the direct carriiers do you have access to ?

PLEASE !? :o

LaoPo

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not every Thai benefits from tourism and the increase in farang. Prices rise dramatically, rents rise, services go down, water shortages occur, etc. The drop in tourism caused by the recent political turmoil may end up doing more good than harm to Thai people, excluding filthy rich hotel and airline owners.

I the airline owners would get a laugh from the above.

I'm doing my bit for the Thai economy just booked a flight with EVA LHR-BKK for mid October, less money than April this year but couldn't find a good deal online had to use the phone and go thru Dial-a-flight, maybe the price will come down more in November thru December?

EVA's prices generally go up at that time.

Hello Forum!

My first post. :D

Just wanted to say that I am from the U.S. and am coming to Thailand for the first time in January. I booked our flight in late July and since booking Korean Air has downsized the number of departures and eliminated our scheduled flight while pushing us onto another. I suspect that the cancellation of at least three of their flights from Seoul to Bangkok is due to the demand going down based on the current situation. However I have not seen a single deal on flights from Chicago to Bangkok. It has held steady with Korean Air still being the lowest at almost $1300 per ticket! It looks like instead of lowering fares most airlines departing from the United States are just eliminating all but one flight to Bangkok. Frustrating that I paid to land at 9pm and now am forced to sit in Seoul an extra three hours! :o

Edited by blackendangel13

Another, and more importantly, the economy in the UK is in recession with an inflation rate currently at 10%, this is the most influencial factor; holidays are the first thing to go when budgets are squeezed, and we are definitely being squeezed now in the UK. Electricity and Gas prices up by a third, Rail fares etc.....10% Job cuts are an inevitability. It's the same throughout the western economies.

Not so. The lack of work force in my country combined with zero uninployment (except for the usual suspects who are unimployable for reason I will not dwell upon) means that we are still granting work permits on a large scale to particularly people from the former eastern block and India. This development is not going to stop any time soon.

Back to Foreign Arrivals Drop to Thailand. There is no such thing here, on the contrary. I am an airline employee and have as such access to accurate informations on the direct carriers. The occupancy on flights in december is up to a level I haven`t seen in a decade.

There is ALWAYS something going on in Thailand. Sars, bird flu, tsunami, flooding, rebellion in the south, bombs, political turmoil you name it.

Still the tourists keep pouring in.

I seriously would like to know the language of your user-name. This is an honest question. Also, from what Scandinavian city(s) are there direct flights to BKK?

Re: Work permits. I hope your gov't has a plan as to how to get them to go home.

Re: The drop in tourism. The Thai gov't says that there is a very significant drop in tourism. Some estimate 30%.

Re: The Scandinavians are intrepid travelers and very rich, they are welcome everywhere, largely due to their good manners.

Chohk Dee

Another, and more importantly, the economy in the UK is in recession with an inflation rate currently at 10%, this is the most influencial factor; holidays are the first thing to go when budgets are squeezed, and we are definitely being squeezed now in the UK. Electricity and Gas prices up by a third, Rail fares etc.....10% Job cuts are an inevitability. It's the same throughout the western economies.

Not so. The lack of work force in my country combined with zero uninployment (except for the usual suspects who are unimployable for reason I will not dwell upon) means that we are still granting work permits on a large scale to particularly people from the former eastern block and India. This development is not going to stop any time soon.

Back to Foreign Arrivals Drop to Thailand. There is no such thing here, on the contrary. I am an airline employee and have as such access to accurate informations on the direct carriers. The occupancy on flights in december is up to a level I haven`t seen in a decade.

There is ALWAYS something going on in Thailand. Sars, bird flu, tsunami, flooding, rebellion in the south, bombs, political turmoil you name it.

Still the tourists keep pouring in.

Airline??? What countries are they coming from?

Hello Forum!

Just wanted to say that I am from the U.S. and am coming to Thailand for the first time in January. I booked our flight in late July and since booking Korean Air has downsized the number of departures and eliminated our scheduled flight while pushing us onto another. I suspect that the cancellation of at least three of their flights from Seoul to Bangkok is due to the demand going down based on the current situation. However I have not seen a single deal on flights from Chicago to Bangkok. It has held steady with Korean Air still being the lowest at almost $1300 per ticket! It looks like instead of lowering fares most airlines departing from the United States are just eliminating all but one flight to Bangkok. Frustrating that I paid to land at 9pm and now am forced to sit in Seoul an extra three hours! :o

This is true. No deals yet that Ive seen.

Again shot itself in the foot,god help us all if Samak is voted back as pm tommorrow.ime off to Cambodge on Monday lock stock and barrell.. More user freindly to Barang over there "

Not as rocking and rolling as Thailand , but wwwaaayyy freindlier to tourists and xpats , that goes from government ease of visas all the way down to the common working man , smiles are given as a true smile , not one to be interpreted in 6 different ways . Sure there are many things one misses when first coming from Thailand , but as one peruses the news or scans TV postings , putting aside the 'I wanna be a Thai types' it is a relief to have gotten away from all that has declined in Thailand , from disenchantment to lack of appreciation for what tourists/expats have done to improve the life style of many a poor Thai .

Looking from the outside in gives one a far different perpective than living and accepting what the Thais hand out to their 'Guests' , people in general are far more honest and actualy care somewhat when help is given . Walk a mile in the shoes-------

A slight over reaction given the circumstances don't you think? What did you expect to hear ? tourism up? Nice try but not the real reason you failed here and yes your post is very transparent in that regard :o

Not so much. Some help

Again shot itself in the foot,god help us all if Samak is voted back as pm tommorrow.ime off to Cambodge on Monday lock stock and barrell.. More user freindly to Barang over there "

Not as rocking and rolling as Thailand , but wwwaaayyy freindlier to tourists and xpats , that goes from government ease of visas all the way down to the common working man , smiles are given as a true smile , not one to be interpreted in 6 different ways . Sure there are many things one misses when first coming from Thailand , but as one peruses the news or scans TV postings , putting aside the 'I wanna be a Thai types' it is a relief to have gotten away from all that has declined in Thailand , from disenchantment to lack of appreciation for what tourists/expats have done to improve the life style of many a poor Thai .

Looking from the outside in gives one a far different perpective than living and accepting what the Thais hand out to their 'Guests' , people in general are far more honest and actualy care somewhat when help is given . Walk a mile in the shoes-------

A slight over reaction given the circumstances don't you think? What did you expect to hear ? tourism up? Nice try but not the real reason you failed here and yes your post is very transparent in that regard :o

Not so much. Some help

Many tourists come to Thailand because they love Thai food.

Now, the tourist numbers should increase because Thai food is even more famous now that the EX PM, soon to be the NEW PM is/was/will be/wont be hosting Thai cooking shows on television.

So, the overall impact should be quite positive for Thai tourism with waves of hungry tourists coming here to enjoy the food.

Edited by innovator

Hello Forum!

i think i will speak for many other forum members and/or people in thailand, that you have our deepest sympathies and we feel so sorry for you that you are unable to makke profit of the current political situation and can not get a better ticket deal. with all the bad news around, a flight from Chicago to thailand should be at least 50$ cheaper, right.

just wait until a few more people gets killed, the army steps in, or that xenophobic PAD cult sized power. you will get much more "experience" for your money. promise.

like the burma traveller to burma. you will read and hear mostly fascinating stories, how beautyful everything is, nature, people and temple. from thailand you can hear many stories how bad everything is, how you got cheated and that everyone is so money obsessed and so on. but there are people who wants to change it and turn this corrupt country into a burmese paradise.

While airlines may drop prices to attract more customers don't you think that Thai businesses will adopt the mentality we see in other business sectors and raise prices in order to compensate for the expected decline in income? I've not seen this yet but I'm expecting it shortly - not just in tourism either.

Please do not neglect the fact that people who arrive here as tourists are getting totally fed up with the scams,rip offs and double pricing scenarios.People talk when they get back to their own country and the result is that sadly Thailand is regarded as rip off destination, dishonesty price gouging mediocre service and poor standards.These are the main factors affecting tourism,people in the main plan holidays months in advance not a day or two ahead.

Thailand's tourist authority needs to step in and level the playing field then perhaps there may be an increase in tourism.

Thailand sadly is now the laughing stock of the world due to the corruption and duplicity of its politicians who are interested in only themselves and how much money they can steal,a bunch of kindergarten kids could,and would do a better job running this country than the political social misfits currently abusing their positions.

Hello Forum!

i think i will speak for many other forum members and/or people in thailand, that you have our deepest sympathies and we feel so sorry for you that you are unable to makke profit of the current political situation and can not get a better ticket deal. with all the bad news around, a flight from Chicago to thailand should be at least 50$ cheaper, right.

just wait until a few more people gets killed, the army steps in, or that xenophobic PAD cult sized power. you will get much more "experience" for your money. promise.

like the burma traveller to burma. you will read and hear mostly fascinating stories, how beautyful everything is, nature, people and temple. from thailand you can hear many stories how bad everything is, how you got cheated and that everyone is so money obsessed and so on. but there are people who wants to change it and turn this corrupt country into a burmese paradise.

Wow. What a welcome. Considering making money off the current situation was my exact intention (sarcasm), I guess I am just screwed then.

I am actually excited to be coming to Thailand since I was six years old. I was simply stating that rather than seeing an increase in trying to convince foreigners to come to Thailand they were simply cutting out many of the options to get there. Maybe if I was actually going into this with the goal of pinching every red cent I could (sarcasm again) I shouldn't have booked my flight 7 months in advance.

Thanks for the wonderful welcome :D

I always travel in low season because its cheaper and less crowded. And I don't mind the hot weather.

But a high season with less tourists sounds pretty good. Cooler, no rain and more competitive prices.

I doubt PAD will continue shutting down the airports again because its hurting the little people who rely on tourist income in the south, -- especially Phuket where PPP is is not so popular and PAD need support. I think PAD shot themselves in the foot there and lost a lot of support from tentative supporters. Overall, this coming high season looks like a good time to travel.

If foreign arrivals are down due to the political turmoil, Lowering airfares will NOT do anything except reduce profit margins. Those that don't care will come hear anyway so why discount?

Edited by zorro1

I was in Phuket a couple of weeks ago trying to leave on Saturday with the airport closed. I managed to get out on the following Monday and it was no major problem for me to be a day late to work coming back from a week off. But that was because I live close by in Singapore, so it's just a <2 hour flight. I expect those with disrupted flights back to Euorpe or North America had a bugger of a time getting home from that fiasco.

I have another weeks leave in October, I think for ease of mind, I'll go to Cambodia this time. I have been wanting to explore Angkor Wat, and I don't need a repeat of my last extended trip in the back of my mind if I go to Thailand again.

Maybe next year!

What saddens me is it is the small businesses that will suffer and lose what little they have managed to build on tourist money, the thai elite really don't give a flying about a drop in tourism - their fingers are in plenty of pies to see them through a rough patch. Anyways, with the credit crunch, recession and the exchange rate at 60 baht to the pound, Thailand is not looking such a value for money destination.

Someone said Thais expoiting Thais is the problem but I'm not sure who. That is it.

The man has been found guilty of a conflict of interest. In most civilized places this would be enough for the powers that be to dump him. Now he wants to make a Lazarath like come back.Where is the shaking the head smilie when you need one.

The PM was found to have violated the provision in respect to having his small expenses paid while a TV chef/promoter of Thailand. He was not found "guilty". Guilty is used for criminal trials. Big difference. This was an interpretation of constitutional law.

If you are prepared to accept the decision of the court as a lawful one, then you must also accept the fact that should Samak be voted back as PM, it will be just as lawful because the law allows for that vote and his reappointment.

And at the end of the day, tourists don't care about such things. What they care about are wildcat strikes on trains, mass sick leaves at TG and airport closures.

Please do not neglect the fact that people who arrive here as tourists are getting totally fed up with the scams,rip offs and double pricing scenarios.People talk when they get back to their own country and the result is that sadly Thailand is regarded as rip off destination, dishonesty price gouging mediocre service and poor standards.These are the main factors affecting tourism,people in the main plan holidays months in advance not a day or two ahead.

Thailand's tourist authority needs to step in and level the playing field then perhaps there may be an increase in tourism.

Thailand sadly is now the laughing stock of the world due to the corruption and duplicity of its politicians who are interested in only themselves and how much money they can steal,a bunch of kindergarten kids could,and would do a better job running this country than the political social misfits currently abusing their positions.

:o If you are stupid enough to pay the first price they give you, Then you can only be catagorised with the poor/uneducated souls in this beautiful country who to be honest are only trying to feed themselves and family.

What country do you come from maybe we can dig up some serious dirt on your country. There has always been as far as i can remember a two tier pricing system in thailand. I don't really have a problem with that (my Thai wife has tho when i pay to much) Please do not neglect the fact that (to nick a bit from you) that these people poor rely on tourism to survive and want to make as much as the can in the good seasons, To ride out the bad ones.

Get a life albertsproggins and see Thailand and it's people as it should be, Long live l.o.s

Cyborg22

Albert Sproggins has lived and worked here in Thailand for some 20 years.Perhaps along with the fact that I am also in business here,pay taxes and am accustomed to the way the system works here I may be more than a little aware of the realities of life here. Like you I am married and we have three children too,I have a life and I am capable of actually seeing the truth as it is here.

It is you my friend who is living in the dream world and indeed encouraging dual standards by your tacit acceptance of double standards.

Alas another farang ripe for shaking down are you not ?

A government led by arrogant, stupid thieves and idiots. (and their relatives)

A government that the majority of the Thai people want, proved by them being voted in at the last two elections. It's just the "money men" in Bangkok who don't like them and therefore the normal up country Thais won't ever have a voice in their own country!

Dictatorship anyone..??

Ignorant to claim PPP had a majority of votes, if that was your intent?

Yeh, but a glance to the left and 'newbie' said it all.

Ask the owner of the local restaurant where we eat "How's business". He said it is so dead it is hardly worth opening for, and with his discussion with people running small resorts etc. they are experiencing a lot of high season cancellations.

There are three major causes.

Financial problems at home.

High transportation cost.

Political unrest.

Add the three together and it does not look too good for tourism.

Cyborg22

Albert Sproggins has lived and worked here in Thailand for some 20 years.Perhaps along with the fact that I am also in business here,pay taxes and am accustomed to the way the system works here I may be more than a little aware of the realities of life here. Like you I am married and we have three children too,I have a life and I am capable of actually seeing the truth as it is here.

It is you my friend who is living in the dream world and indeed encouraging dual standards by your tacit acceptance of double standards.

Alas another farang ripe for shaking down are you not ?

You haven't learnt much in your time here then have you? I also live and work here also pay taxes, But having said that i have businesses in the uk which function without me. So if thailand as you say is the laughing stock of the world, Why do you belittle yourself by living here?

Every year it's something.......

Bird Flu, Sars, Tsunami etc etc.

I'm wondering just how busy this place would be had the last 6 ot 7 years gone smoothly without any negative impacts.

Thinking along those lines:

Foreigners might have only one way of voicing disagreement with operating procedures in LOS which would be heard. By staying in their home countries, i.e. tourists, for a prolonged period of time and citing lack of political integrity and extreme corruption a clear message would be given. Some might argue that realistically the only thing that really speaks volumes (which drown out loud karaoke after hour’s bars) is BAHT. Power is the second sought after entity but w/ out BAHT how many powers can one wield?

As a former travel agent , I recommend that the next insurrection happen during the off-season when its raining like crazy. :o But seriously, the financial impact of the decreased tourism will impact most of the middle class and certainly will filter down to the poor. Of course , the rich in any country can always withstand oil prices and economic turn downs as "They already have theirs!" My wife and I will however travel to Thailand in Nov/Dec but probably stay away from BKK. Are there any politicians in Thailand who aren't corrupt. Perhaps a monk should lead the country. Mahatma Gandhi was a monk of sorts in his thoughts , his integrity and his compassion for the poor.