Two Aging Aussies Spotted In Thailand

asiancup2007

Holden Premier !

Niiiiiiice

Its the 6cyl moderl... 202 Engine

I can tell by the size of the exhaust.

Would be awesome ripping around the countryside of Thailand in a 253 or 308 !

Vrrrm Vrrrrm !

I think you will find that both are 4 cylinder models. Holdens exported CKD kits into many countries in SEA for contract assembly. Here the import duty on engine sizes above 2.4 Litres was prohibitive so they used the 2L Torana engine. At the time the full range of Holden engines were basically interchangeable as the mounts were all placed in the same position and at the same angle (obviously some detail differences). I have seen these vehicles here and in Indonesia, if you fancy a leisurely drive then get one. If you want to get somewhere "this week" a little better power to weight is needed.

Isaanaussie

Note: If you have the cash, how about a HSV 6L V8 Beaut Ute? I can do... new or used...

Edited by IsaanAussie

geeez.... a 4cyl HQ?

that would be just awful.

The 186 was pretty gutless, that's why the 202 was more popular.

There was a whole industry sprung up trying to get better performance out of the old 186 [it was nice strong solid block to build on], with things like extractors, triple SUs etc etc

but an old low-tech 4Cyl engine driving that much weight?

not for me...

About 10 years ago in Phitsanulok I spotted a HQ with a 2.4 Nissan diesel engine.

Last year I spotted a parked 1970/71 Ford fairlane (light yellow in colour). I wondered what the orginal engine size would have been for Thailand for the Ford.

I think you will find that both are 4 cylinder models. Holdens exported CKD kits into many countries in SEA for contract assembly. Here the import duty on engine sizes above 2.4 Litres was prohibitive so they used the 2L Torana engine. At the time the full range of Holden engines were basically interchangeable as the mounts were all placed in the same position and at the same angle (obviously some detail differences). I have seen these vehicles here and in Indonesia, if you fancy a leisurely drive then get one. If you want to get somewhere "this week" a little better power to weight is needed.

Isaanaussie

Note: If you have the cash, how about a HSV 6L V8 Beaut Ute? I can do... new or used...

The first car I drove in Thailand was a Holden ute and then a Holden sedan. Both had the 186 engine.

At that time the Holden was considered by Thais to be a prestige automobile and competed with the Benz preferred by Thai-Chinese. The agents were Asoke Motors whose owner had an Australian wife and she was mostly responsible for their import. A large number were supplied under Australian Aid and eventually went to the Highways Department after the Australians with SMEC returned home.

Saw these 2 aging Holdens in March/April of this Year. The Kingswood was on the road from Bkk to Kanchanaburi whilst the HR? was in a Tesco Lotus car park in a town near Buri Ram.

dont know about the year of the HQ ,, about 72 or 74 ,,,,,,, the other is a 66/68 special sedan ( HR ),,,with a 179 / 186 or 186/S engine ,,, the S gives you extractors and duel throat or triple carbies

cheers

egg

Saw these 2 aging Holdens in March/April of this Year. The Kingswood was on the road from Bkk to Kanchanaburi whilst the HR? was in a Tesco Lotus car park in a town near Buri Ram.

dont know about the year of the HQ ,, about 72 or 74 ,,,,,,, the other is a 66/68 special sedan ( HR ),,,with a 179 / 186 or 186/S engine ,,, the S gives you extractors and duel throat or triple carbies

cheers

egg

For sure not a HQ but most likely a HJ because of that particular green colour (unless resprayed)

HQ had their tail lights in the bumber, HJ,HX and HZ not.

For sure not a HQ but most likely a HJ because of that particular green colour (unless resprayed)

yeh, I had a nagging doubt in the back of my mind, but I couldn't quite put a finger on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

cheers

egg

Agree... definitely NOT a HQ.

Also..... definitely NOT a HZ.

HZ's had a different moulded boot. It had a raised angular section to it.

So .. leaves us with a HJ or HX.

I'm thinking HJ.

There were a lot less HX's made.

• 3 weeks later...

In 7 years in Thailand guess I have seem a total of 10 early model Holdens in various locations plus a number of Cortinas ' - have thought one day I might fork out the Bht and buy one as a rebuild project - that's only a maybe at the moment.

About 30 years ago I well remember doing a pub crawl with the girls from Mike's Place ( A Soul food R&R bar in 1970s Sukumvite) in a Holden similar to the one on the right owned by an American called JC who worked in Roiet at a place that wasn't there.

These pictures sure bring back memories.

Edited by harrry

Last December I was at Wat Arun BKK and we spotted an old Monaro. My son was amazed to see it as he has never seen a Holden of any kind in Thailand. It was parked outside the monks quaters. A while later it crept past us leaving us in a cloud of smoke. Didn't notice if it was being driven by a monk though.