Work Permit And Multiple Visas

Hello,

I came in on a one-year multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa in June. I recently got an extension visa which lasts until the end of my contract on 30 March. I did this because I was told that instead of making a border run every three months, I could simply check in with immigration. When I explained that I would want to stay in Thailand past March, the immigration officer said I could make a border run in March and reenter using my one-year multiple entry non-B as it is would be valid until June. He said at this point I would get a 30-day stamp on the non-B.

Doesn’t the extension cancel out the first visa or are they both valid at the same time?

Now am seriously considering leaving my teaching position. My job may be willing to hold off on canceling my work permit giving me some time to travel and/or look for other work.

If they cancel my work permit immediately my understanding is that I will have seven days to leave the country. Could I use the one-year multiple-entry non-B to reenter? Or, would both visas have been invalidated at the point of canceling my work permit?

If I cannot reenter using the one-year visa, will I be able to get a tourist visa? If so, should I get one in a consulate abroad or can I get one when I arrive at the airport in Bangkok? Can you get a tourist visa if you have an exit ticket by bus or must it be by plane?

I have found your website to be very helpful and tried my best to answer these questions by reading previous posts. Thank you so much for your help!

Hello,

I came in on a one-year multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa in June. I recently got an extension visa which lasts until the end of my contract on 30 March. I did this because I was told that instead of making a border run every three months, I could simply check in with immigration. When I explained that I would want to stay in Thailand past March, the immigration officer said I could make a border run in March and reenter using my one-year multiple entry non-B as it is would be valid until June. He said at this point I would get a 30-day stamp on the non-B.

Doesn't the extension cancel out the first visa or are they both valid at the same time?

Now am seriously considering leaving my teaching position. My job may be willing to hold off on canceling my work permit giving me some time to travel and/or look for other work.

If they cancel my work permit immediately my understanding is that I will have seven days to leave the country. Could I use the one-year multiple-entry non-B to reenter? Or, would both visas have been invalidated at the point of canceling my work permit?

If I cannot reenter using the one-year visa, will I be able to get a tourist visa? If so, should I get one in a consulate abroad or can I get one when I arrive at the airport in Bangkok? Can you get a tourist visa if you have an exit ticket by bus or must it be by plane?

I have found your website to be very helpful and tried my best to answer these questions by reading previous posts. Thank you so much for your help!

If you are an an 'Extension of Permission to Stay' from immgration and you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, that extension is ended.

If you leave your job, you must leave Thailand that day or you can apply for a seven day extension at immigration

If you re-enter thailand on a date before the 'Enter Before' date marked on your multiple non B visa, then you will automatically get a 90 day stamp.

Tourist visas can only be obtained abroad.

Citizens of certain countiries can receive a 30 day visa exempt stamp on arrival to Thailand but this is limited to a maximum total stay of 90 days (>3 entries) in any 6 months.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Hello,

Doesn't the extension cancel out the first visa or are they both valid at the same time?

If you are an an 'Extension of Permission to Stay' from immgration and you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, that extension is ended.

If you leave your job, you must leave Thailand that day or you can apply for a seven day extension at immigration

If you re-enter thailand on a date before the 'Enter Before' date marked on your multiple non B visa, then you will automatically get a 90 day stamp.

Citizens of certain countiries can receive a 30 day visa exempt stamp on arrival to Thailand but this is limited to a maximum total stay of 90 days (>3 entries) in any 6 months.

Thank you so much for your response. Are you saying that if I leave my job and leave the country that day, I can still reenter on my multiple non-b even though my extention to stay would have ended with my job?

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response. Are you saying that if I leave my job and leave the country that day, I can still reenter on my multiple non-b even though my extention to stay would have ended with my job?

If on extension of stay, you finish the job suppose to leave the same day..need to get 7 day extension to remain in country for the 7 days, your non-imm B in your circumstances is invalidated, as the extension of stay and non-imm are tied together....in a nutshell...job goes WP and visa go...need to get out and start over with a new visa (tourist visa) or 30 day visa exception...

Hello,

If on extension of stay, you finish the job suppose to leave the same day..need to get 7 day extension to remain in country for the 7 days, your non-imm B in your circumstances is invalidated, as the extension of stay and non-imm are tied together....in a nutshell...job goes WP and visa go...need to get out and start over with a new visa (tourist visa) or 30 day visa exception...

I disagree Southpeel.

The OP, in addition to his Extension of Permission to Stay, still has a valid one year multiple entry non B visa in his passport (obtained overseas) which has not yet expired. So he can leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, yes he looses the extension, but he can still return and get another 90 day stamp using his original non B. He only looses the extension, not the original visa.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Hello,

I disagree Southpeel.

The OP, in addition to his Extension of Permission to Stay, still has a valid one year multiple entry non B visa in his passport (obtained overseas) which has not yet expired. So he can leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, yes he looses the extension, but he can still return and get another 90 day stamp using his original non B. He only looses the extension, not the original visa.

You may be right, but in my experience, was told on extension of stay the whole lot goes and your Non-imm B is invalidated...start again from square one...

Thanks all for your help! If I tried to find out at the border by trying with my non-B and they said no, would I then be able to ask for a tourist visa instead?

The immigration officer told me that if I left the country after the extension expired, I could reenter on the Non-B. This implies they are not linked but I didn't ask what would happen if I cancled my work permit before the extension expired. I could see why immigration might invalidate both at the same time as my employment was a preprequite to obtain both of them in the first place. Any ideas?

Thanks all for your help! If I tried to find out at the border by trying with my non-B and they said no, would I then be able to ask for a tourist visa instead?

The immigration officer told me that if I left the country after the extension expired, I could reenter on the Non-B. This implies they are not linked but I didn't ask what would happen if I cancled my work permit before the extension expired. I could see why immigration might invalidate both at the same time as my employment was a preprequite to obtain both of them in the first place. Any ideas?

You could always get a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp at the border.

There is no link between work permit cancellation (done by labour dept) and your original non B visa. The link is only with the Extension of Permission.

Non immigrant B visas (obtained abroad) are never invalidated by cancellation of the WP, only Extensions.