House Purchaces In Pattaya

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a house off soi siam country club,in the royal prestige village.Does anyone know anything about this village or the area?is the public transport on soi country club?is it easy to get into town?any information would be good.

thanks Davylad

Edited by Crow Boy
correction of topic spelling

Also Davey, keep enough money aside for a good alarm system, security grills, attack Dogs, etc etc.

hi,this doesn't sound too good,I think I'll stick to view talay villas?but you get a lot more for your money on the darkside?

is it really that bad on the darkside?

can be a brute around 5-7pm times with traffic, especially round the electrcity substation area, aslo at the railway crossing. But easy access to the "Lake" and some good feeding places

Hi, I won't be working so traffic at that time won't bother me.

Also Davey, keep enough money aside for a good alarm system, security grills, attack Dogs, etc etc.

hi,this doesn't sound too good,I think I'll stick to view talay villas?but you get a lot more for your money on the darkside?

hi i dont think its that bad,as you say you get a lot more for your money especially compared to the price of the villas you mention.

security precautions are necessary anywhere in pattaya and being on the dark side its just a bit more isolated than in town but if you on a good village and dont travel late at night on a bike then alls good or as good as can be....its easier for the bad dudes to get away on the dark side as less bib around but hey as i said take care......bad stuff happens allover pattaya so lets not just say the dark side is bad,if i had a house in town i would protect it as much as possible.

hi i dont think its that bad,as you say you get a lot more for your money especially compared to the price of the villas you mention.

security precautions are necessary anywhere in pattaya and being on the dark side its just a bit more isolated than in town but if you on a good village and dont travel late at night on a bike then alls good or as good as can be....its easier for the bad dudes to get away on the dark side as less bib around but hey as i said take care......bad stuff happens allover pattaya so lets not just say the dark side is bad,if i had a house in town i would protect it as much as possible.

Hi,thanks ,that sounds very realistic,trouble is I don't really want to be driving a 4 x 4 everywhere,so It might be best to stick to Jomtien?i haven't seen any problems there,it's a much qiuter part of pattaya and seems to be aimed at an older clientel.I'm 55 and I felt very young there.and everyone was very friendly.

thanks for you good advice, Davy

buy a house in Pattaya ? no way rent rent rent

Hi, the problem with renting is it's very expensive,and I'd be renting for half the year when I'm not there.you can buy a house for 6 million baht,to rent it for 30 yrs would cost 20 m baht,but I just don't like the idea of renting,just goes against the grain chucking money out of the window.

Hi, the problem with renting is it's very expensive,and I'd be renting for half the year when I'm not there.you can buy a house for 6 million baht,to rent it for 30 yrs would cost 20 m baht,but I just don't like the idea of renting,just goes against the grain chucking money out of the window.

Davylad, you are an estate agents dream. Unless you have a Thai wife and want her to have the property on your death, look at it another way.

Whatever way you look at it you WILL be renting. You can't own the land, so best you can hope for is a 30 year lease, which is another name for renting. If you pay rent annually or monthly, your capital can be invested elsewhere. Buying means paying out your rent 30 years in advance, + all the other expenses such as repairs etc.

Hi,thanks ,that sounds very realistic,trouble is I don't really want to be driving a 4 x 4 everywhere,so It might be best to stick to Jomtien?i haven't seen any problems there,it's a much qiuter part of pattaya and seems to be aimed at an older clientel.I'm 55 and I felt very young there.and everyone was very friendly.

im not trying to persuade you as you seem to have made your mind up but i would rather hang around the dark side than jomtien beach at night,maybe you dont watch the news but loads happens along that beach road.just a few i can recall......2 russian ladies being shot on the beach,many robberies along there quite regularly too......as i said before bad stuff happens all over pattaya anyway.

theres some ok bars and good restaurants over here and we are quite friendly too,also u dont have to go 4x4 everywhere,we have shops that cover most things you could want.if you want to go into town then there is plenty of motorbike taxis during normal hours and if out late or shopping could take your 4x4.

as to your age then you will find the dark side is not full of strapping young fellas,infact i would say more the opposite but hey if you feel VERY young there then that is good,i like jomtien too in general but if you looking at a property in the 6 mill plus then darkside gets u a good one and the money you save you can afford a car and the extra gas.

personally id like to live direct on a quiet beach but havent won the lottery yet so settled for a nice house on dark side but im only 2/3 km from sukhumvit rd,dont know how id feel 10km up from sukhumvit rd......i suppose if i was single i might prefer in town more. good luck

im not trying to persuade you as you seem to have made your mind up but i would rather hang around the dark side than jomtien beach at night,maybe you dont watch the news but loads happens along that beach road.just a few i can recall......2 russian ladies being shot on the beach,many robberies along there quite regularly too......as i said before bad stuff happens all over pattaya anyway.

theres some ok bars and good restaurants over here and we are quite friendly too,also u dont have to go 4x4 everywhere,we have shops that cover most things you could want.if you want to go into town then there is plenty of motorbike taxis during normal hours and if out late or shopping could take your 4x4.

as to your age then you will find the dark side is not full of strapping young fellas,infact i would say more the opposite but hey if you feel VERY young there then that is good,i like jomtien too in general but if you looking at a property in the 6 mill plus then darkside gets u a good one and the money you save you can afford a car and the extra gas.

personally id like to live direct on a quiet beach but havent won the lottery yet so settled for a nice house on dark side but im only 2/3 km from sukhumvit rd,dont know how id feel 10km up from sukhumvit rd......i suppose if i was single i might prefer in town more. good luck

Hi,ya it's a difficuilt decision to make,but I've never seen any trouble near Jomtien beach,apart from stray dogs and stray ladyboys,but then I don't go to the beach itself,late at night or early in the morning either.but I think if you're sensible you should be safe enough,I'm not a drinker,just the odd beer,but mostly soft drinks,I just enjoy the crack with the girls(pun intended)and a few games of pool.

the village I was looking at is only 2km from the sukhumvit road,but I'm not sure I fancy travelling on those motorcycle taxi's,perhaps get a scooter and a car?you get very little for your money in jomtien but then you can't beat the location,no personal transport required,although I have seen residents in view talay with scooters.but with the current situation with buying a house I might bag a bargain?by the way all my friends say I should just rent,or stay in hotels,not that they've been to pattaya.

Davylad, you are an estate agents dream. Unless you have a Thai wife and want her to have the property on your death, look at it another way.

Whatever way you look at it you WILL be renting. You can't own the land, so best you can hope for is a 30 year lease, which is another name for renting. If you pay rent annually or monthly, your capital can be invested elsewhere. Buying means paying out your rent 30 years in advance, + all the other expenses such as repairs etc.

hi,I used to own a leasehold flat here in the wet and miserable south of england,but it didn't make any difference I still felt I owned the property,ya I know I'm stupid,but who cares what happens in 30 yrs I'll be dead by then,so live for the present,I'll leave my property here in the uk to my nieces and nephews,( I don't see why they should have a good time in pattaya after I'm dead)It's just a personal preference to buy rather than rent,I don't think I'll ever get tired of stting by my pool with a few asian beauties?I actually think filipino birds are prettier,but I can't stand the food and the poverty in the philippines.

thanks for your concern,post-68042-1221331966_thumb.jpg

Ithink that you are better off renting.

If you only stay part of the year in your 30 year lease house who will look after that house when you are elsewhere? You may think that you will rent it. Perhaps so and perhaps no. Then what? If no one is their it is likely to get pillaged.

If you rent . You can move more easily. If an obnoxious neighbor moves in next door you can move. If you get bored and want to try out other locations in Thailand. You can move. If the political situation becomes untenable for "Farangs" you can move. Try selling a 30 year lease house. That could be very difficult to shift.

If you buy you will have a very hard time reselling especialy a house!

I too don't like the idea of paying for the land lords house. However, their is another way of looking at that. If you can be satisfied with a modest abode. You can get a very reasonable rental rate. If you pay the equivalent of $150.000 for ahouse. You could invest that $150.000 and get a return. The cash will not be locked up and lost after 30 years. If you got say a 5% investment return that would be about $7000 dollars. That return could pay the rent. For $583.00 you can rent a very nice place. You also would still have your cash. Why would you pay the land lord 30 years rent in advance?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a house off soi siam country club,in the royal prestige village.Does anyone know anything about this village or the area?is the public transport on soi country club?is it easy to get into town?any information would be good.

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Yes, it's a beautiful place, but so far from everything ! Where do you live for now ? Do you know well Pattaya ?

It appears that many people buy in Pattaya east because they trust agencies that have interest to sell this place where there are so many houses for sale, and then big benefice for them.

In the East, the prices are really too high for this location, and it will be very difficult to resell if you need one day. Pattaya is a seaside city and the sea is very far from Siam Country Club !

For now, I think it's really better to buy between beach road and Sukhumwit road. And easy too, because agencies don't work there.

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Yes, it's a beautiful place, but so far from everything ! Where do you live for now ? Do you know well Pattaya ?

It appears that many people buy in Pattaya east because they trust agencies that have interest to sell this place where there are so many houses for sale, and then big benefice for them.

In the East, the prices are really too high for this location, and it will be very difficult to resell if you need one day. Pattaya is a seaside city and the sea is very far from Siam Country Club !

For now, I think it's really better to buy between beach road and Sukhumwit road. And easy too, because agencies don't work there.

What are you blabbering on about?????????????????? :o

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Who is buying in the East? Drive around, look at all the houses with For Sale signs. What does that tell you? And who trusts agencies? Does someone issue special pills for this at the airport these days? RENTING is the ONLY way to go just now. There are many good villages out there and crime is no worse than in town, may be even better for all I know.

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Hi Geroc,

You say that royalprestige is a lovely place,but then everything else is negative?It's only 4 miles from walking street,this doesn't sound very far to me,all agencies have an interest in selling thats there job,properties like this would be 3 times the price on the beach side,but I've also heard bad things about living on the beachside,suksabai villas being the crime capital of thailand for instance,

If you only stay part of the year in your 30 year lease house who will look after that house when you are elsewhere? You may think that you will rent it. Perhaps so and perhaps no. Then what? If no one is their it is likely to get pillaged.

If you rent . You can move more easily. If an obnoxious neighbor moves in next door you can move. If you get bored and want to try out other locations in Thailand. You can move. If the political situation becomes untenable for "Farangs" you can move. Try selling a 30 year lease house. That could be very difficult to shift.

I too don't like the idea of paying for the land lords house. However, their is another way of looking at that. If you can be satisfied with a modest abode. You can get a very reasonable rental rate. If you pay the equivalent of $150.000 for ahouse. You could invest that $150.000 and get a return. The cash will not be locked up and lost after 30 years. If you got say a 5% investment return that would be about $7000 dollars. That return could pay the rent. For $583.00 you can rent a very nice place. You also would still have your cash. Why would you pay the land lord 30 years rent in advance?

Hi,the housemaid will look after the house when I'm not there surely?and if I need to sell in a few years time,the house will still be worth the same or maybe more if the political situation improves?hopefully you won't get a lot of noise on a expensive farang estate,90 % of the properties at view talay villas are usually empty when I've stayed there?

thanks Davylad

Hi,

:D im no intellect by any means but that was blabber , to clarify his blab for him ...............

agencies have interest to sell any property infact would get more commision on beach or nr beach property as more expensive.

i bought in east pattaya after looking at many villages everywhere and decided that i liked one not too far over the east side and good value as got a lot more for my money than in town. ive had it 6 yrs now and think it may be getting too busy where i am ,as lots of shophouses going up allover ,that i may move a little further out east. davylad come and have a look as save on agents fee for me haha.

in the east the prices seem to go down the further you go out which is fair enough but all is only a short ride to get to the beach if thats your thing and bars/girls everywhere if thats your thing.

as to buy between beach and sukhumvit rd ,you get less land with the house ,less choice,less value for money,more traffic etc unless you go further up jomtien which could be an idea for davylad although they still a lot more expensive than the east side.

as to you saying that agencies dont work between beach and sukhumvit rd.......u must be baaaaaa, as the thais would say,the biggest and oldest agencies are all there. nice to get a post from such an informed pattaya poster.

if i was davylad(if he decides to buy) i would put in a low low offer on interesting places i like and see what happens,cash is definitely king(always has been ) especially in the current market........and no im not gonna sell mine cheap haha.

houses have always seemed to be an investment in longterm allover the world so hes not really gonna lose and if he sells in 10 yrs probably make ok money so lived in a place he likes and rent free and some cash back!!!!!!

as to looking after it when not there for months on end........lots of options. secure it up real good,housemaid,pay village security guard extra to keep extra eye on it,you can pay police and they do daily visits and basically dont leave anything expensive inside anyway......whats the worse that could happen.broken door/window.....a few hundred baht.

if you can afford to buy then why not,if you cant ......rent. no worries

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Hi Geroc,

You say that royalprestige is a lovely place,but then everything else is negative?It's only 4 miles from walking street,this doesn't sound very far to me,all agencies have an interest in selling thats there job,properties like this would be 3 times the price on the beach side,but I've also heard bad things about living on the beachside,suksabai villas being the crime capital of thailand for instance,

Got to be a tie between Suksabai villas and Pratumnak hill for that title!

Not a good plan. Nearly everyone forgets about inflation wich will eat away at your 5 mill bht and in 30 yers what will it be worth? you wont be able to buy the OP's toilet. The OP however will have capitol gains and in 30 years will have a return maybe 20 mill bht may 10 times that but certainly more than you will leaving it in the bank

thanks Davylad

Hi,

:D im no intellect by any means but that was blabber , to clarify his blab for him ...............

agencies have interest to sell any property infact would get more commision on beach or nr beach property as more expensive.

i bought in east pattaya after looking at many villages everywhere and decided that i liked one not too far over the east side and good value as got a lot more for my money than in town. ive had it 6 yrs now and think it may be getting too busy where i am ,as lots of shophouses going up allover ,that i may move a little further out east. davylad come and have a look as save on agents fee for me haha.

in the east the prices seem to go down the further you go out which is fair enough but all is only a short ride to get to the beach if thats your thing and bars/girls everywhere if thats your thing.

as to buy between beach and sukhumvit rd ,you get less land with the house ,less choice,less value for money,more traffic etc unless you go further up jomtien which could be an idea for davylad although they still a lot more expensive than the east side.

as to you saying that agencies dont work between beach and sukhumvit rd.......u must be baaaaaa, as the thais would say,the biggest and oldest agencies are all there. nice to get a post from such an informed pattaya poster.

if i was davylad(if he decides to buy) i would put in a low low offer on interesting places i like and see what happens,cash is definitely king(always has been ) especially in the current market........and no im not gonna sell mine cheap haha.

houses have always seemed to be an investment in longterm allover the world so hes not really gonna lose and if he sells in 10 yrs probably make ok money so lived in a place he likes and rent free and some cash back!!!!!!

as to looking after it when not there for months on end........lots of options. secure it up real good,housemaid,pay village security guard extra to keep extra eye on it,you can pay police and they do daily visits and basically dont leave anything expensive inside anyway......whats the worse that could happen.broken door/window.....a few hundred baht.

Hi Tattoodrob,

nice to hear some common sense on this forum,you've said everything that I've been thinking,knowing or hoping to hear,I still think buying is best as renting is dead money that is lost forever and when I make an offer on a property it would around 60% of the asking price,obviously I'd rather buy in Jomtien as it is very quiet and handy for everything,but I cannot afford the sort of property you can buy on the darkside there,so if I do find something I like in jomtien I shall be putting a very low offer,I've seen properties that have been advertised for 2 years.

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Hi Tattoodrob,

nice to hear some common sense on this forum,you've said everything that I've been thinking,knowing or hoping to hear,I still think buying is best as renting is dead money that is lost forever and when I make an offer on a property it would around 60% of the asking price,obviously I'd rather buy in Jomtien as it is very quiet and handy for everything,but I cannot afford the sort of property you can buy on the darkside there,so if I do find something I like in jomtien I shall be putting a very low offer,I've seen properties that have been advertised for 2 years.

Okay, well here's the thing, has anyone here put in a low offer on a house which has been on the market for a couple of years or so ... and had it accepted? No. Didn't think so.

Still think the best way to save money if you are on a budget and want to be in Jomtien is buy land and build yourself. You can still find odd plots of land in Jomtien of around 100 Wah. Expect to pay around 1,500,000 Baht up but then you could build a decent little home for a couple of million Baht and be in the location you want. No idea of your budget but may be worth checking out. We only have one on our books at the moment located beside the retreat on Soi Watboon but it is 105 wah and 1,470,000 Baht. Sure there must be more plots out there.... Ask around as it may be the way to go for you.

Good luck,

David

East Coast Real Estate

Still think the best way to save money if you are on a budget and want to be in Jomtien is buy land and build yourself. You can still find odd plots of land in Jomtien of around 100 Wah. Expect to pay around 1,500,000 Baht up but then you could build a decent little home for a couple of million Baht and be in the location you want. No idea of your budget but may be worth checking out. We only have one on our books at the moment located beside the retreat on Soi Watboon but it is 105 wah and 1,470,000 Baht. Sure there must be more plots out there.... Ask around as it may be the way to go for you.

Good luck,

David

East Coast Real Estate

good idea and probabaly a good investment too . can choose exactly what type/design of house etc.

the only downside is finding a decent/honest/reliable builder.......and then watching him/them most days of the build project so they do not <deleted> it up. can be an extremely stressful experience and i have been put off doing it again and only had a fairly simple extension built.......you wouldnt believe how things can go so wrong when they are left to there own devices for an hour or so.

i like the idea of putting a low offer in but i think 60 percent is a bit too low,i was thinkin 80 percent then be willing to come up a little bit......i would have to be unbelievably desperate to take 60 percent but hey you may get lucky

what do u think david as u in the profession ?

thanks Davylad

Hi,

Hi Tattoodrob,

Okay, well here's the thing, has anyone here put in a low offer on a house which has been on the market for a couple of years or so ... and had it accepted? No. Didn't think so.

Vendors have a simple choice,they can except a low offer on their property or it stays unsold,it all depends on whether you can afford wait till the market improves?the world credit crunch is getting worse and the thai government situation is still unstable.

Good luck,

David

East Coast Real Estate

good idea and probabaly a good investment too . can choose exactly what type/design of house etc.

the only downside is finding a decent/honest/reliable builder.......and then watching him/them most days of the build project so they do not <deleted> it up. can be an extremely stressful experience and i have been put off doing it again and only had a fairly simple extension built.......you wouldnt believe how things can go so wrong when they are left to there own devices for an hour or so.

i like the idea of putting a low offer in but i think 60 percent is a bit too low,i was thinkin 80 percent then be willing to come up a little bit......i would have to be unbelievably desperate to take 60 percent but hey you may get lucky

what do u think david as u in the profession ?

Worst that can happen is the sellers says NO!!

Must admit though very few properties sell for 60% or less of the asking/market price but it does happen. If you are cashed up and can complete within hours/days there are desperate people out there who may take your money. Problem is that most buyers at the moment want all sellers to be in that position. That is not the case. The properties that are most negotiable tend to be poorly located, poorly built and pretty unsell-able anyway. Not many nice houses in Jomtien or Pratumnak, East Pattaya etc asking 10,000,000+ and prepared to take 6,000,000.

I remember selling a property just after the crash in '97' on Pratumnak Hill. The home was on half a Rai of land, had 4 bedrooms with sea-views and was only 100 metres from the beach. The asking price was 15,000,000 Baht. After negotiating for over 3 months we sold the home for 6,100,000 Baht. Guess all depends on how much the sellers need the money. Don't think we have any listings like this at the moment. Not yet anyway......

My wife and I designed our own home and had it built 2 years ago. Although we also had many headaches through the construction process we never regret doing that as we have a unique property in the location we wanted.

David